Normal Brake Noise? - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-09-2010, 09:33 AM Thread Starter

Normal Brake Noise?

When I push my 900 classic into or out of the garage, I have some noise coming from my brakes, and I am wondering if others have it too. One noise sounds like a very light rub between the pad and rotor and it is constant as I push. The other noise is a clicking noise that follows wheel speed.

When I'm riding, I don't hear either one (and I've listened at low speeds, while rolling in neutral), and there's been no effect on mpg or power. So are these noises normal, or should I be concerned. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-09-2010, 12:19 PM

The pad noise is pretty normal for any disc brake. Even when you release the brake lever the hydraulics keep very slight pressure on the pads and they basically remain in contact with the rotors. This is how the self adjust otherwise as they wear there would be a gap between the pad and rotor making things a tad squirrely when you go to brake. The pads are metallic rubbing against the steel rotor, nothing out of the ordinary. As far as the clicking goes, not sure what to tell you. My '08 Custom doesn't make any clicking sounds when I roll it. Does it hapen with the clutch in or out, are you in nuetral? Where's it coming from, transmission perhaps? Wheel bearings? How many miles on the bike?

'11 1700 Nomad Candy Neptune Blue/Metallic Phantom Silver
Bikes I've owned over the years:
2008 Vulcan 900 Custom
1980 Yamaha XS750 Special
1978 Honda CB400
1975 Honda SL125
Memories of what never was become the good old days....
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-09-2010, 12:50 PM
Top Contributor

Look, just debaffle the muffler or get aftermarket pipes. This putting the baseball cards in the spokes is just a little silly at this stage.

Ok, if it isn't the baseball card making the clicking sound I'd get one end of the bike up in the air and spin the offending member and look for the noise.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-09-2010, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrClean View Post
Look, just debaffle the muffler or get aftermarket pipes. This putting the baseball cards in the spokes is just a little silly at this stage.
Gee...Just when I thought I'd finally thought of a benefit to having spoked rims...)

If you're listening hard enough to hear your brake pads rubbing on the rotors, (SPOCK is right...that's normal) then I doubt that the "clicking" sound is loud enough to be of concern. Might be the belt rotating... JMHO. Raising up the rear of the bike and rolling the rear tire will (should) tell you if there's any belt/brake/bearing issues though... You can also chop power and roll to a stop while listening to see if the noise is present, more pronounced, etc...

I doubt it's much to worry about. The VN makes a symphony of shakes, knocks, rattles, squeaks... All part of the "experience."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who do not."
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-10-2010, 07:16 AM
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrClean View Post
After all the time I spent looking for a clothes pin to hold it on the forks, I'm leaving it there!

My biggest fear is when I die, my wife will sell all my guitars for what I told her I paid for them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode