Marbling didn't work... - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-08-2010, 07:41 PM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

Garage
Marbling didn't work...

Vance & Hines on '08 Custom - stock baffle gone (previous owner removed) so i installed hard kore quiet baffles
ok... i read gadgets page and wondering if i should attempt the reed fix?!? i need to try replacing the gaskets on the exhaust 1st but here is my question:

After marbling, what does it mean if you still get loud big pops???

i mean... would an air leak at the gasket get enough air in there like without having the marble in the hose?? it's almost as loud and as consistent...

it is beginning to annoy the heck out of me because it makes the bike sound like it is running like crap... well it is on deceleration?!?! but power wise it is fine (that i can tell). i know peeps say a fuel manager is not necessary when the exhaust is only changed... but would it solve this problem?

'02 Drifter 1500
... just an awesome ride!

'08 Custom-ized
Candy Lime Green
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-09-2010, 12:31 AM
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagered View Post
Vance & Hines on '08 Custom - stock baffle gone (previous owner removed) so i installed hard kore quiet baffles
ok... i read gadgets page and wondering if i should attempt the reed fix?!? i need to try replacing the gaskets on the exhaust 1st but here is my question:

After marbling, what does it mean if you still get loud big pops???

i mean... would an air leak at the gasket get enough air in there like without having the marble in the hose?? it's almost as loud and as consistent...

it is beginning to annoy the heck out of me because it makes the bike sound like it is running like crap... well it is on deceleration?!?! but power wise it is fine (that i can tell). i know peeps say a fuel manager is not necessary when the exhaust is only changed... but would it solve this problem?
Does the decel popping occur at zero throttle or when you're at 1-2% throttle? Does it occur during the entire RPM range during decel or just before the engine reached idle speed? Yes, a leaking exhaust gasket will allow enough air into the pipe to cause decel popping. Also, if there's a vacuum leak somewhere causing the engine to run a little lean, decel popping will also occur. Check your hoses and caps.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-09-2010, 06:12 AM
Top Contributor

As noted an exhaust gasket or vacuum leak will increase the likelihood of popping. The stock exhaust muffled the event. Except when I get lazy, I have to tweak my Fi2000 after extreme temperature changes or the popping gets worse. Decel slowly and most of the popping goes away. Kaw is behind other bike makers in learning fuel management programming for open loop injected systems.

2007 Custom

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-09-2010, 06:54 AM
Top Contributor

If you didn't use new gaskets OR didn't torque them down correctly you will have leaks and you will have popping. Amazing how much suction occurs after the exhaust wave goes by.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-09-2010, 10:43 AM
Top Contributor

Marbeling won't completely iliminate the backfiring. I will only minimize it.

Gitty Up & Go!

2007 VN 900 Custom modifications:
Corbin Young Guns Saddle*OEM Classic Gel Flame Saddle (when 2up)*OEM Light Bar*National Cycles Shield*OEM Ribbed Handlebar Grips*OEM Classic Rear Fender*PC III*V&H SCS Pipes (Modified)*Comet Milled BAK*Engine Guard*Genmar Risers*Clear Alternatives Integrated Tail Light*Kury Magnum Plus Mirrors*Kury Cruise Control*Upgraded Horn*Metzler 90/90/21*Avon Venom 200/70/15*Both SW Pulleys.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-09-2010, 12:44 PM
Top Contributor

Just occurred to me, if you're having marbling problems with your backfire you should either increase or decrease your fiber intake.

I now return you to your previously running thread.

Last edited by MrClean; 09-09-2010 at 12:47 PM.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-09-2010, 01:09 PM
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrClean View Post
Just occurred to me, if you're having marbling problems with your backfire you should either increase or decrease your fiber intake.

I now return you to your previously running thread.
Good LORD! I just choked on my soda... "running" thread another funny?

BACA Pretzel - Flyin' the highways in OK!
'08 Vulcan 1600 Nomad - "Grace"
Metallic Diablo Black/Candy Fire Red
LED Run/Turn/Brake
Vance and Hines Duals
Dobeck TFI
Kuryakyn Flame grips with Throttle Boss and Stiletto endcaps
Kuryakyn Longhorn offset highway pegs
Vista throttle lock
OEM light bar and luggage rack

B.A.C.A. Member, Oklahoma Chapter

Out to pasture - 2008 Vulcan 900 Custom: Redemption
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-09-2010, 04:32 PM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

Garage
cool beans all... thanks!

the bike came with the V&H's on it... and to my surprise, I just checked the exhaust pipe bolts... ALMOST FINGER TIGHT?!?! geez... i could turn the wrench with my pinky?!?!

well i have new crush gaskets on order and will replace when they are in just to be sure. i know how gaskets can get "cut" so worse case is these are beyond fixing so hopefully new ones will resolve at least any leaks there.

i want to get the Fi2000R anyway because eventually i am putting a BAK on... but not until the funds become available!?!?

thanks for the input!

'02 Drifter 1500

'08 Custom-ized
Candy Lime Green
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-09-2010, 05:08 PM
Top Contributor

Nothing against the FI2000R but I upgraded from this to the PCIII and bike liked it better. Just my .02 cents

Gitty Up & Go!

2007 VN 900 Custom modifications:
Corbin Young Guns Saddle*OEM Classic Gel Flame Saddle (when 2up)*OEM Light Bar*National Cycles Shield*OEM Ribbed Handlebar Grips*OEM Classic Rear Fender*PC III*V&H SCS Pipes (Modified)*Comet Milled BAK*Engine Guard*Genmar Risers*Clear Alternatives Integrated Tail Light*Kury Magnum Plus Mirrors*Kury Cruise Control*Upgraded Horn*Metzler 90/90/21*Avon Venom 200/70/15*Both SW Pulleys.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-09-2010, 07:31 PM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

Garage
yea i thought about that one... but want on-the-fly adjusting and the PCIII has to be remapped by the PC right? ... oh, and I don't have any working PC's anymore!

'02 Drifter 1500

'08 Custom-ized
Candy Lime Green
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode