opinions on Shinko tires - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-07-2010, 09:05 PM Thread Starter

opinions on Shinko tires

what are yalls opinions on shinko tires on ebay. We just put them on my dads 83 Yamaha and they seem like good tires. A bit sticky but they seem GREAT for the money.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-07-2010, 09:44 PM

Exclamation You get what you pay for or less

I'm changing the tires on my bike to the Metzeler ME880's, 90/90-21 front and 200/70-15 rear, a simple upgrade using stock wheels. I looked at a bunch of tires on bikes at my neighborhood M/C garage. A lot of Harleys with the Harley badged Dunlops (same as stock Dunlops on Kawi). Same complaints with Dunlops on all the bikes, don't last long, lousy handling and suck in the rain. Saw a bunch of different brands, some good and some bad and went with the ME880's based on the mechanic's recommendation. They'll be on for the weekend so I'm anxious to try them and hopefully they make a difference. You can get them cheaper online but the online stores won't help you much after you get them. A customer was in picking up his Goldwing. He bought Avons for it online and the sidewalls were cracked before they were installed. Shop called him before they mounted them and he gave them the go ahead to finish the job. I wouild be extremely bummed if I spent a few hundred on tires and they were that way. I like to support local businesses and with the internet, they know what you can get things for and usually do what they can to get close. And I'd rather have a relationship with a real mechanic, not someone transcribing orders. But I know what it means to save a few bucks when you can.

'11 1700 Nomad Candy Neptune Blue/Metallic Phantom Silver
Bikes I've owned over the years:
2008 Vulcan 900 Custom
1980 Yamaha XS750 Special
1978 Honda CB400
1975 Honda SL125
Memories of what never was become the good old days....
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-08-2010, 05:33 AM

I put 5K on a rear Metz, before it got FOD'd out by a roofing nail. Great tire! Good wet handling - good wear. My other bike (VRSC) also came equipped w/Dunlops. Same complaints on the forums there.

The 880's are good tires - and when I'm spending $200 a pop for a tire, I like to stick with what I know....not many tire shops will refund your purchase (let alone mounting/balancing) after you put a few thousand miles on a substandard tire, and this is especially true with shops that handle blems, 2nd rate tires, etc...

JMHO...

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who do not."

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-10-2010, 08:59 AM

shinko tires

Bad tires in my opinion, we put a set of shinko tour masters on wifes 08 900 classic and within 2,000 miles they came apart at the side walls (out of round) and were rubbing on the front fender brace. Purchased them on line from bikebandit.com and had a real fight getting the money back even after jumping through all their hoops we still had to get the bank involved with a disputed claim. We use Pirelli MT66's or Kenda Kruz 673's.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-10-2010, 10:12 AM
Top Contributor

At the end you get for what you pay. Cheap emergency replacement in my opinion.

Gitty Up & Go!

2007 VN 900 Custom modifications:
Corbin Young Guns Saddle*OEM Classic Gel Flame Saddle (when 2up)*OEM Light Bar*National Cycles Shield*OEM Ribbed Handlebar Grips*OEM Classic Rear Fender*PC III*V&H SCS Pipes (Modified)*Comet Milled BAK*Engine Guard*Genmar Risers*Clear Alternatives Integrated Tail Light*Kury Magnum Plus Mirrors*Kury Cruise Control*Upgraded Horn*Metzler 90/90/21*Avon Venom 200/70/15*Both SW Pulleys.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-10-2010, 11:43 AM
Top Contributor

I asked a guy at work that has tried the Shinkos and he says, "THEY'RE GREAT!!! for about a thousand miles..." Then he made this look with his face that won't translate to typed text, but I don't think it was good.

Hope that helps.

BACA Pretzel - Flyin' the highways in OK!
'08 Vulcan 1600 Nomad - "Grace"
Metallic Diablo Black/Candy Fire Red
LED Run/Turn/Brake
Vance and Hines Duals
Dobeck TFI
Kuryakyn Flame grips with Throttle Boss and Stiletto endcaps
Kuryakyn Longhorn offset highway pegs
Vista throttle lock
OEM light bar and luggage rack

B.A.C.A. Member, Oklahoma Chapter

Out to pasture - 2008 Vulcan 900 Custom: Redemption
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-11-2010, 05:14 PM

Hi, I am new to this forum, but would like to add my 2 cents. Don't believe everything people say or have heard etc.. If you google Shinko Raven, you will find a link to a documented mileage test by a guy on a Bandit 1250 and he put a lot of miles on it without problems. Of course you get what you pay for, but sometimes you can only afford second best or don't want to spend the extra money for a brand name. I am a firm believer in "inexpensive" not cheap and crappy and I believe that Shinko is in the "inexpensive" category. Btw., they used to be a division of Yokohama tire and nobody is complaining about them?! Check out their web page and the link to youtube. Might be surprised.

Cheers

Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode