Vulcan 900 Stator Replacement Questions - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 62 (permalink) Old 09-04-2010, 12:21 PM Thread Starter

Vulcan 900 Stator Replacement Questions

I am replacing the stator in my 900 Custom. I have the manual but it mentions nothing of connecting the new leads (3 white leads) to the wire harness leading to the Regulator Rectifier. They are simply bare wires all the same color. Seems there should be some type of plug to ensure a good connection. How do I connect the new Stator leads to the RR and ensure the leads are spliced with the correct wire? Any help would be appreciated.

"Novice Bike Mechanic"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 62 (permalink) Old 09-04-2010, 03:09 PM
Top Contributor

I haven't had the stator pleasure yet, but if the new stator doesn't have the connector use the old one and solder everything together. It doesn't matter which white wire goes where as it plugs in to the regulator.

2007 Custom
post #3 of 62 (permalink) Old 09-04-2010, 03:15 PM

Garage
My Stator went out two weeks ago and is a pricey part to replace!! I'm considering letting letting a rebuild service from Alabama I found on ebay rebuild mine and hoping for the best. There is no service like this in my area that I have found and a new one is ou of the question at those prices right now. I hope this will be the last Stator problem with this bike and for an easy installation.

dum vita est spes est - While there's life, there's hope

post #4 of 62 (permalink) Old 09-04-2010, 11:47 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the help. I used some 3M connectors and some shrink wrap over the connections. Makes me feel comfortable though that the order didn't matter. Now I'm just waiting for the gasket to get it all back together.
post #5 of 62 (permalink) Old 09-04-2010, 11:49 PM Thread Starter

I didn't want to use the OEM Stator because it is obviously the problem with all the VN 900 Stator issues I read about. I went with the Rick's Motorsports Stator. It ran about $145 which is half what Kawi wants for a new one.
post #6 of 62 (permalink) Old 09-05-2010, 07:05 AM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2017 Vaquero ABS
Displacement/CC's: 1700 cc
Color: Candy Cardinal Red
Garage
I'm pretty sure my stator's shot too. I've got a PDF manual, but I've also got a question. In the photos it looks like rotor & stator are right in the crank case (rotor bolts to the crank end). What keeps the oil out of the rotor? Or will that be obvious when I pull the covers? Also, is there any physical damage I should be looking for as I pull this appart? That may sound naive, but I've never been in this end of a bike before.
post #7 of 62 (permalink) Old 09-05-2010, 09:16 AM

I think it sets in the oil.Have heard they look burnt on some of the coils .I have a feeling mine is going to go eventually as I've heard a whirl sound coming from there for just a second.

06 Vulcan 900 classic-Totaled

Vance & Hines staggered, PC3, K&N in stock opened up box, Darkside

Over & out
post #8 of 62 (permalink) Old 09-05-2010, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txmedic712 View Post
My Stator went out two weeks ago and is a pricey part to replace!! I'm considering letting letting a rebuild service from Alabama I found on ebay rebuild mine and hoping for the best. There is no service like this in my area that I have found and a new one is ou of the question at those prices right now. I hope this will be the last Stator problem with this bike and for an easy installation.
I've got less than 2K "experience" on this bike, but I've read a lot. You may want to check to make sure moisture isn't getting into the plug @ the regulator. I've read where others have had problems with this, and if you ride in the wet a lot, I can see where it might happen, since it's so close to the road. Moisture...especially salt contaminated moisture, could easily cause the early death of a stator coil (IMHO). I've heard a few people have put dielectric grease on (in) this connector to prevent this.
Just a thought....

How much do they charge for rewinding the stator??

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who do not."
post #9 of 62 (permalink) Old 09-05-2010, 05:58 PM

Garage
Quote:
How much do they charge for rewinding the stator??
I can send it off and have i rewound for approximately 100 to 110 bucks (+/- shipping fees) and a minimum of a three week wait. Ricks charges 160 or so for his rewound stators but they are of a higher capacity compared to the OEM so maybe that will be the route I will go. The OEM stator is way too expensive and I'm afraid it will have the same problem.

The moisture thing is interesting. I like in Southeast Texas and ride alot, even in light rains. It was directly after four days of riding through light rains that my stator went out. I will certainly have to take steps to keep moisture out the regulator plug as I don't believe in coincidences.

dum vita est spes est - While there's life, there's hope

Last edited by txmedic712; 09-05-2010 at 05:59 PM. Reason: typo
post #10 of 62 (permalink) Old 09-06-2010, 08:25 AM

A buck and a quarter sounds like a fair price for the stator fix - especially when compared to the outlandish price of an OEM replacement. Keep us posted as to how difficult it is to replace - since I ride in the wet a lot, I might be in your boat soon (not to mix metaphors.)
I did a 5-second visual on my rectifier plug yesterday when I was doing pre-flights. I was too lazy to get out the 10-mm socket and take the regulator cover off to look at my plug in detail, but it seemed to me that the plastic sleeve that covers the wires going into the plug was about a half inch too short. I'm going to take a detailed look at it later - but I'm thinking that moisture might be able to work its way into that plug through the back of the connector.
I'll do a detailed inspection later - but I'm suspicious for now. I don't believe in coincidences either!

Good luck with the stator replacement!
Please keep us posted...

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who do not."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode