Possible ways to 'cure' lean fuel mixture? - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-02-2010, 10:52 AM Thread Starter

Possible ways to 'cure' lean fuel mixture?

I have done a redneck airbox mod....

{photo shamelessly swiped from Refugio at the other forum}

And I have done a full debaffle.....

{again with a stolen photo, this time from predfan}

And lastly, I have removed the secondary throttle plates {thank you, Baitis!}
(no pictures to steal, sorry)

Now, for some strange reason, my bike is running hot. Can you believe that? I was wondering what my options are to increase the fuel so I am not running lean anymore, other than purchasing an after-market fuel processor/managment. I am a tightwad, and would rather not spend the ~$200 plus if I don't have to.

Thanks, y'all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-02-2010, 11:15 AM

If your bike is running lean - and it might be with those mods, then you're going to HAVE to go with a fuel processor IMHO...
Now...whether or not it's running "lean" is a subject for much debate. Your problem might be that you're running your bike a little harder, now that you've uncorked your exhaust, diddled with your intake, and are basking in the warm glow of Vulcan studliness, or the weather might be warmer now...or whatever.
Unfortunately, the only way to know for sure is to dyno your bike at a dealer - or whatever other means they have of looking at your bikes F/A mix ($$$) or you can look at the spark plugs (free-but not definitave in determining your F/A mix.)

IMHO - a $200 fuel processor will be cheaper than engine repair if you ARE running lean.... BUT!!! I've not modified this bike enough to warrant a fuel integrator - so I dunno. A lot of others out there have, and most seem to bolt a fuel box on their bike when they've reached your stage of modifications.

(EDIT: I do like that airbox mod!!)

Good Luck!

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who do not."

Last edited by ETC(SS); 09-02-2010 at 11:21 AM.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-02-2010, 11:59 AM
Top Contributor

keep eyes open on Ebay for cheaper, 2nd hand fuel processors. Bought my first one for 50 bucks shipped from a guy that didn't have a 900 anymore.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-02-2010, 01:55 PM
Top Contributor

You sure it's running lean and those holes just aren't letting the hot air get to you now? Without a processor you'll have to tape up some of those holes if the plugs look lean.

2007 Custom
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-02-2010, 02:36 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to gillahoon Send a message via Yahoo to gillahoon
i say a cobra on on craigslist for 50 bucks
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-02-2010, 03:54 PM

Be careful about riding that bike with it lean. Could go BOOM...
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-02-2010, 04:10 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2013 Vulcan Nomad
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Blue/White
If you are a vet, Dobek offers a discount for their Techlusion and Electronic Jetkit processors. I got mine for $150. It still isn't cheap, but it isn't $200 plus either.

KenDawg
1SG, USA (Retired)
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-03-2010, 06:46 AM Thread Starter

What about marbling? Does that decrease some of the air flow? I have read about it some, but don't know much about it.

Guess there is the search function....lol

'08 900LT
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-03-2010, 11:49 AM
Top Contributor

The air switch only puts air in to the exhaust, so marbling won't cure lean.

2007 Custom
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-03-2010, 03:36 PM

You are definitley running lean. IMHO. Fuel helps regulate the temp of the bike, and just openeing the exhaust or just openeing the intake (some) won't usually hurt the fuel mixture too much. However, doing a Full Debaffle as well as opening up the intake as much as you have will allow so much air through (great for power) that the fuel is not able to cool down the jugs each time it is sprayed into them since there is so much air being run through. Your optins are to close up some of the in and out of the airflow, or buy a Fuel processor to add more fuel.

My previous bike was an air/ oil cooled 1400. I added drag pipes, and wide open K&N pod air filters for maximum air flow. I tried it for a short day, and it could NOT handle the extra air flow without getting hot. That bike was still running dual (albeit seperate) carbs, and once I re-jetted (increasing the size of the needles that allow fuel into the carburators which in turn adds more fuel to the jugs for combustion)-- The Beast was awakened, and I had Zero heat issues from there on out.

'09 Orange Copper Custom. Debaffled, 170/80 - 15. Bags, and shield.

Gone but not Forgotten - '09 900 Custom SE. Debaffled. Avon Venom 90/90/21 front and 170/80/15 rear.

Last edited by prlsnpsdodge; 09-03-2010 at 03:38 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode