Question About Oil Leak - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-01-2010, 07:14 PM Thread Starter

Question About Oil Leak

I have a 2009 Vulcan 900 Classic bought new about 3 months ago. 1300 miles on bike now. After the bike has set for 24 to 48 hours a few drops of oil will drip from the open ended rubber hose that's routed down by the rear shock. It was worse when the bike was new but not quite as bad now. I ask the dealer service dept. about it and they don't seem to be concerned. However, they couldn't tell me why the leak was there. Any comments would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-02-2010, 10:42 AM

are you sure that is not the gas overflow tube, that is where the gas overflow tube is on my 900
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-02-2010, 11:45 AM Thread Starter

It may be a gas overflow tube but the oil is coming from the tube. When the bike was new I laid on the ground and watched the oil dripping from it. I don't believe it's a serious problem but maybe I should contact Kawasaki Co. directly and get their opinion. The Kawasaki dealer's mechanics seemed to be as baffled as I am.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-02-2010, 02:34 PM

I'd lay down again and try to determine whether or not the oil is dripping from the inside of the tube, or running down the outside of the tube and dripping off the end.
You're obviously not loosing enough oil for it to be a "serious" problem, but I'm not sure how oil could find its way into the fuel tank overflow tube (if that's the one we're talking about.) That would have me baffled too...

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who do not."
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-02-2010, 07:16 PM
Top Contributor

Where's the other end of the hose connect?
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-02-2010, 07:32 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrClean View Post
Where's the other end of the hose connect?
Can't see where hose originates. Even with the seat off I can't see. Don't want to start stripping things off the bike. I have a problem putting things back together sometimes. L
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-02-2010, 10:40 PM

It's a check valve and it is gas not oil. Mine has been replaced once and still leaks. The bike is going back for a fuel tank replacement and they are going to look into the check valve thing again.

Kawi knows about the problem, but won't do a recall as of yet. The valve has been redesigned, but is still not working correctly on some bikes, mine being one of them.

Check with your dealer, you are covered under warranty. Post if you get any news.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-02-2010, 11:04 PM Thread Starter

It's thick like oil, it smells like oil and feels like oil. So, I don't know for sure.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-03-2010, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creekwalker View Post
It's thick like oil, it smells like oil and feels like oil. So, I don't know for sure.
What is happening is the rubber hose the gas is coming through is decomposing. The hose is probably deformed at the end like mine is from the gas going through it. The rubber is mixing with the gas so what you see under the bike almost has an oil like look and feel.

Kawi did not make this breather tube a fuel line hose because gas is not supposed to be coming through it.

If enough people with this problem start complaining, Kawi will make it an official recall. Not all 900's have this problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode