That darn Tick - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-01-2010, 03:23 PM Thread Starter

That darn Tick

I've had my 07 Custom for about 2 months. I love the way it looks and handles but the tick is driving me crazy. I tried ear plugs and that helps, but most of my rides are 30 minutes or less and I wouldn't typically wear ear plugs. Plus I like to hear the exhaust note. Which brings me to my question. I am looking at after market exhausts to cover the tick. Will this work? If so, what exhaust is recommended that won't be so loud as to set off car alarms and piss off the neighbors? If I get after market pipes, do I HAVE to do any other mods such as air filter of fuel intake? Can a novice mechanic install the needed pipes and/or mods?

Wilson

2007 Vulcan 900 Custom
Corbin gun fighter seat
Drivers backrest
Mustang Tank Pouch
Saddleman bags
Cobra mini sissy bar
Luggage rack

2006 Katana 750
1978 TS250
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-01-2010, 03:37 PM
Top Contributor

Why don't you try debaffling first? It costs next to nothing (depending on what tools you already have), and it will give you an idea if you want to pursue the aftermarket pipes thing. Go gradually though, a full debaffle may be a little loud. I've just done the first stage. Drilled out the little plugs in the baffles. I can still hear the tick, so you'll probably want to do at least stage 2.

If you decide on new pipes, it's not that hard to change them, as long as the new ones are a perfect fit. A torque wrench is the only thing out of the ordinary that you'll need.

My biggest fear is when I die, my wife will sell all my guitars for what I told her I paid for them.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-01-2010, 03:56 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to gillahoon Send a message via Yahoo to gillahoon
i really dont hear a tick on my custom i do here the fuel pump wine

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-01-2010, 04:26 PM
Top Contributor

The only tick you can do anything about is the exhaust at the head. Check the acorn nuts. Look up the debaffle thread if you don't to hear the noises a 900 makes. You don't have to change the intake to debaffle or install new pipes. You also shouldn't need a fuel processor for changing the pipes. I don't know of any aftermarket pipe that won't set off alarms. Even my debaffled pipes do it...but you don't need to do a full debaffle either.

2007 Custom
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-01-2010, 07:20 PM Thread Starter

Debaffel sounds good. Can someone explain the "stages"?

Wilson

2007 Vulcan 900 Custom
Corbin gun fighter seat
Drivers backrest
Mustang Tank Pouch
Saddleman bags
Cobra mini sissy bar
Luggage rack

2006 Katana 750
1978 TS250
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-02-2010, 06:05 AM

What is this 'tick' you all speak of?

I've just received my 09 Custom SE and can't hear anything but a beautiful rumble from the exhaust
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-02-2010, 07:49 AM
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson View Post
Debaffel sounds good. Can someone explain the "stages"?
Stage I: Just drilling or punching out the screen ('08 & before) or plug ('09 &up). 7/8" hole saw & drill extension needed.

Stage II: Remove cover plate at end of pipe and cut off the little flat bracket thing. Dremel will work, but most seem to say a sawzall works better. Then drill 2-8 holes (3/8" I think) in the ends of the baffles.

Stage III: remove the entire baffle. There are other threads here & elsewhere on the net (youtube even has some video tutorials) that can explain it better than I can. Just search "debaffle".

It's recommended to do 1 "stage" at a time & live with the results for a little while. You can't put these baffles back in. But you can get a used stock exhaust pretty cheap.

My biggest fear is when I die, my wife will sell all my guitars for what I told her I paid for them.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-02-2010, 09:23 AM
Top Contributor

Do a google for "900 debaffle how to" and you'll find a couple of good threads with in depth instructions and pics. You'll still hear the tick a bit, though. A good quality oil will help a bit as well... I won't make any recommendations, as that usually starts a war, but there are plenty of oil discussions here and abroad. LOL

BACA Pretzel - Flyin' the highways in OK!
'08 Vulcan 1600 Nomad - "Grace"
Metallic Diablo Black/Candy Fire Red
LED Run/Turn/Brake
Vance and Hines Duals
Dobeck TFI
Kuryakyn Flame grips with Throttle Boss and Stiletto endcaps
Kuryakyn Longhorn offset highway pegs
Vista throttle lock
OEM light bar and luggage rack

B.A.C.A. Member, Oklahoma Chapter

Out to pasture - 2008 Vulcan 900 Custom: Redemption
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-03-2010, 09:21 AM

Unhappy ticking noise

I hear the tick on mine all the time when I'm coming to a stop and the engine idles down, once it gets to lower idle I hear the dreaded tick. I just figured it is normal with all the 900 engines? Is this the case for everyone, is there a way to get rid of it?

2009 Black Classic

Mustang Seat w/Backrest
Cobra Standard Backrest with Luggage Rack
Smoke Slipstreamer Windshield
Lindby Multibar Engine Guards
Homemade Lowers
Wally World Running Lights
Stebel Air Horn
Vista Cruise Control
Scootworks Front OD Pulley
Stage 2 Debaffle Stock Pipes
170/80/15 Pirelli Rear Tire
Kury Run/Turn/Brake module
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-03-2010, 11:12 AM

I have the tick on my new 09 Classic Lt. Just bought it a few weeks ago with 0 miles on it. It has done it since at least from 100 miles. Think I was just too excited to notice it the first 100. The only time it is NOT extremely annoying is when I am lugging it or really getting down on it. Have already had the first service done at 500 miles and spoke to the mechanic who done the work and he said it is the valves and he could adjust them but they would still tick. Said all the 900's he has heard has the sound. He did test drive it for 4 miles. Said basically to learn to live with it. Called dealer I bought it from and the just suggested I get pipes for it. I would love to talk to some higher up at Kawasaki and find out if the ticking is indeed normal and if it is then they should do something about it. If it is not normal then they should do something about it to the bikes that do have the problem. I spent all this money on something I can not enjoy and then have to send 400-500$ to cover it up with pipes or just learn to live with it...I think not.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode