Trick to removing fuel injector connectors - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-28-2010, 05:38 PM Thread Starter

Trick to removing fuel injector connectors

Hi all,

Adding the big 3 to the bike this weekend; exhaust, air and fuel processor. I'll give updates later (Roadhouse 2-1 sounds awesome!) but I'm having trouble on the fuel processor. I've propped the tank up and all that but I can't dislodge the connectors off the top of the injectors. What's the trick to them? I've tried to pinch the front of them but they are really on good. The space to pull on them is real tight, too, due to the tank not being able to lift up much.

Would love to get this done but I need help before I end up doing something to break them!

Thanks for any advice!

Meangreen88
Proud member of Roman Road Warriors
Vulcan 09 Classic:

Roadhouse Classic 2-1, Fi2000R, Arlen Ness Big Sucker, Cobra backrest, Cobra rear floorboards, Cobra highway bars, Mustang seat, Natl Cycle windshield, Memphis lowers, Kuryakyn grips
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-28-2010, 06:05 PM
Lifetime Premium

I just did mine (powercommander) and found the connectors to be tight also.Finally just used needle-nose pliers which squeezed the lock tab while pulling up on the connector. Then they came off really easy. Look at the lock tab on the new connector to understand how to release it. I did remove the tank, though, to get to things easier.

Ron in Cincinnati

Wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then.
.........Bob Seger
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-28-2010, 06:51 PM
Lifetime Premium

These would work well for that....http://www.shoplet.com/Cooper-tools-...818886CVN/spdv

Sears, Lowes, or HD would have them

Ron in Cincinnati

Wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then.
.........Bob Seger

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-28-2010, 07:11 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2013 Vulcan Nomad
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Blue/White
Quote:
Originally Posted by meangreen88 View Post
Hi all,

Adding the big 3 to the bike this weekend; exhaust, air and fuel processor. I'll give updates later (Roadhouse 2-1 sounds awesome!) but I'm having trouble on the fuel processor. I've propped the tank up and all that but I can't dislodge the connectors off the top of the injectors. What's the trick to them? I've tried to pinch the front of them but they are really on good. The space to pull on them is real tight, too, due to the tank not being able to lift up much.

Would love to get this done but I need help before I end up doing something to break them!

Thanks for any advice!
When I pulled mine off I used some needle nosed pliers as well. Just push in the tab with a small flat tip, grab the injector connector with the pliers, and wiggle while pulling up. They will come off, I assure you. Looking forward to the sound clip!
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-28-2010, 07:41 PM
Top Contributor

I used Needle nose vice grips, You can adjust the teeth to be just tight enough to release the clamp and it has a good grip on it to pull the plug off. They are tight.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-28-2010, 07:48 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys. I had thought of using my needle-nose pliers but was concerned I'd inadvertently snap something but that proved to be the trick. I let my teenage son do it so I could blame him if things went bad The new connectors went on super easy so I'm all hooked up and ready to go. Still need to tweak the Fi2000 settings a bit but I'm rolling again.

Meangreen88
Proud member of Roman Road Warriors
Vulcan 09 Classic:

Roadhouse Classic 2-1, Fi2000R, Arlen Ness Big Sucker, Cobra backrest, Cobra rear floorboards, Cobra highway bars, Mustang seat, Natl Cycle windshield, Memphis lowers, Kuryakyn grips
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode