Huge Problem, Need Help Fast - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-27-2010, 07:58 PM Thread Starter

Huge Problem, Need Help Fast

So today was a nice day so I went out for a ride. All in all it was about 250 miles. All was well for about 220 miles. It was straight highway running 80-95mph (per the odo so probably about 70-85mph) Anyways gas light came on during my trip back home. Pulled off and filled her (48mpg by the way) I usually fill up with regular from BP, there was no BP around so I filled up with regular from Hess. As soon as I left the bike was spittering and sputtering like I was out of fuel. I figured I may have been lower on gas than I thought and the injectors were just priming themselves or something funny like that. Well it kept doing it unless I ran at a high enough RPM (no tach so I'm not sure what it was, running aroun 65+ in 5th it ran fine) Anyways, I just kept it that until a redlight that I stopped at. The bike came to a stop like it was out of gas, then a boat load of smoke came out of the top exhaust, the rear cyclinder, and smelled like straight fuel. It was clear I was dumping to mch fuel. I think that from running for so long at such a high RPM then something may have gotten in there in kept that injector stuck wide open. Anybody got suggestions at all? I'm hoping some simple fuel injector cleaner might do the trick but I'm not sure. Either way, I need help fast.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-27-2010, 08:09 PM
Top Contributor

I suppose you could have gotten a load of bad gas, it's rare but it happens.

Did you let the bike cool, then when you turn the key on let the pump go through it's priming function, takes a couple seconds, THEN hit the start switch and see if it's back to normal.

Next tank, you can hit it with 5 ounces of seafoam and top it off with your regular gas. If it's watery the seafoam will take care of that. It will also help clean out the injectors. Most normal mixes have injector cleaner in them but you can still build garbage up, the seafoam will help with that.

I can think of nothing else a bad tank of gas can screw with that you could fix. You could shoot a fuel pump, but it seems you have fuel. If you lose injectors you'll need to aquire and replace those and then You'll need to know which one, though I suppose you could replace one and see if it's better and if not, swap with the other.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-27-2010, 08:12 PM

need help

Sounds as if you have a piece of foreign material lodged in the injector. I assume the bike was running fine b4 the fuel stop. I would remove the injector and inspect it. Spray it out with carb cleaner and drain ALL the fuel from the tank. Fill it back up and add sea-foam or a good grade motorcycle injector cleaner. Check the spark plug from the affected cylinder and replace if needed. It's most likely fouled out from all the fuel. Change the oil and filter if this is the case b4 running as it is most likely diluted with fuel also. The smoking is most likely unburned fuel in the exhaust so that may continue for a bit till it burns out. Hope this is all it is and if so, it's not that serious. Good luck. Let us know what the outcome is.

2009 Classic 900 Candy Red
OEM W/Shield (23")
OEM Backrest
Mutazu Luggage Rack
Iron Rider rear luggage bag
Saddleman Rigid mount bags
Cobra passenger boards
Jardine highway bar
Kury Highway pegs
Kury lisc plate mount
Cobra Tachometer
Showchrome handlebar temp gauge
Showchrome rear master cylinder cover
Ram-mount GPS (Garmin)
Kury ISO grips with throttle boss
Kury Air Cleaner cover (Scoop)
Mustang Tank Bib
Cobra Lightbar
Stage II Exhaust Mod (4 holes)
Mustang Seat

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-27-2010, 08:14 PM Thread Starter

so could i go ahead and throw some seafoam in this tank or should i drain the tank and fill it back up (say it aint so) and throw the seafoam?
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-27-2010, 08:16 PM Thread Starter

how do I go about removing the injector, its coming from the rear cylinder (one closest to the seat)
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-27-2010, 08:24 PM

need help

You could try and do it with just adding the seafoam but I wouldn't. Remove the tank ( I know it sucks ) and then remove the injector. It sounds as if the injector is stuck open and dumping fuel or altering the spray pattern which at the very least will take more than seafoam to dislodge it. The seafoam will help clean it out as you ride but it won't dislodge whatever is in there immediately. You might try disabling the fuel pump to release the fuel pressure. This may help loosen things up. Each time you turn on the key, the fuel pump pressurizes the injectors and will just lodge the obstruction tighter. Better to be safe than sorry.

2009 Classic 900 Candy Red
OEM W/Shield (23")
OEM Backrest
Mutazu Luggage Rack
Iron Rider rear luggage bag
Saddleman Rigid mount bags
Cobra passenger boards
Jardine highway bar
Kury Highway pegs
Kury lisc plate mount
Cobra Tachometer
Showchrome handlebar temp gauge
Showchrome rear master cylinder cover
Ram-mount GPS (Garmin)
Kury ISO grips with throttle boss
Kury Air Cleaner cover (Scoop)
Mustang Tank Bib
Cobra Lightbar
Stage II Exhaust Mod (4 holes)
Mustang Seat
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-27-2010, 08:27 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stompers View Post
You could try and do it with just adding the seafoam but I wouldn't. Remove the tank ( I know it sucks ) and then remove the injector. It sounds as if the injector is stuck open and dumping fuel or altering the spray pattern which at the very least will take more than seafoam to dislodge it. The seafoam will help clean it out as you ride but it won't dislodge whatever is in there immediately. You might try disabling the fuel pump to release the fuel pressure. This may help loosen things up. Each time you turn on the key, the fuel pump pressurizes the injectors and will just lodge the obstruction tighter. Better to be safe than sorry.
Alright thanks a ton!
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-27-2010, 11:09 PM

The other thing you may want to check is if the rear cylinder is firing at all. If it sputters at low rpm, it might just fire off the front cylinder. Check your spark plugs. May just be bad spark on the rear and as why you are getting such a strong gas smell cause its not burning it.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-29-2010, 05:06 PM Thread Starter

Oh man did I get lucky!! I went and bought a can of Seafoam and dumped the entire bottle into the tank (the tank only had 26 miles on it, i.e. full) let it sit overnight. I went out today and started it up and let it idle for about 10-15 min. There was very minimal 'smoke' from the exhaust. Not nearly as bad as the other day. I guess the extra smoke was just the unburnt fuel that didn't get it out yet. Well things seemed fine so I threw a leg over and went for a short 10 mile jaunt around town, just enough to get a good little test in all gears at lower and higher RPM. Everything seems fine. I'm taking it to work tomorrow (round trip of about 40 miles) Hopefully it will be fine. I still plan on changing plugs, oil, oil filter, and throwin in some of that good ole' Slick 50 when when the low fuel light comes on. Hopefully it wasn't anything big. I might go ahead and check/clean both injectors while I got the tank somewhat removed.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-30-2010, 05:19 AM
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by seandh07 View Post
Oh man did I get lucky!! I went and bought a can of Seafoam and dumped the entire bottle into the tank (the tank only had 26 miles on it, i.e. full) let it sit overnight. I went out today and started it up and let it idle for about 10-15 min. There was very minimal 'smoke' from the exhaust. Not nearly as bad as the other day. I guess the extra smoke was just the unburnt fuel that didn't get it out yet. Well things seemed fine so I threw a leg over and went for a short 10 mile jaunt around town, just enough to get a good little test in all gears at lower and higher RPM. Everything seems fine. I'm taking it to work tomorrow (round trip of about 40 miles) Hopefully it will be fine. I still plan on changing plugs, oil, oil filter, and throwin in some of that good ole' Slick 50 when when the low fuel light comes on. Hopefully it wasn't anything big. I might go ahead and check/clean both injectors while I got the tank somewhat removed.
If the engine is running good then don't mess with it. Changing the oil and filter can't hurt. Checking the rear plug can't hurt either. You've got this old fart confused about what you're gonna do with the Slick 50?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode