California Superbike School - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 07:41 PM Thread Starter

California Superbike School

Alright so the past few weeks I have been attending various motorcycle safety schools offered by the Marine Corps on Camp Lejeune, NC. The 2 that stood out was ARTD (Advanced Rider Track Day) and AMOS (Advanced Motorcycle Operator School). For those two school the instructors from the California Superbike School were there, including Keith Code himself. With ARTD it was just a 0.4 mile track set out by cones and it was open to all bikes. Learned alot about my bike and my abilities on my bike and did things I never though possible on these bike (I ride a Custom BTW). The last two days I did AMOS. OMG wow, amazing classes. Instructors were fantastic. If you couldn't get something right, then they just kept working with you and never once got frustrated. The amount of knowledge was kinda intimitating at first but by then end of the two days everything fell into place. I was pulling lap times as quick as alot of the sportbike dudes. I was able to stop this little pig in 29 yards at 40mph, 39 yards at 50 mph, and 46 yards at 60 mph. This bike can perform pretty freaking amazingly. They also had a new decked out BMW S1000RR for us to get a VERY breif testride on it. OMFG that bike is a rocket. Throw it in second and at around 9000 RPM it just takes off and power doesn't fall off, of course I didnt even closely reach the limit of the speed on that thing. It literally felt like it was going to grow wings and fly away. The thing was so light and felt amazingly stable in the corners. Just wicked crazy. It was also one of the smoothest vehicles I have ever operated. I'm getting pretty serious about making this an investment down the road (or something similar). Anyways, useless post, just trying to promote the awsomeness of this school, I suggest anyone of you go. It's without a doubt, one of the best learning experiances I have ever had in my life. OK, sorry it took so long. Stay safe out there guys.
Sean
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 08:35 PM

sounds pretty fun, dont have anyhting like that around here. I have to ask are you a Marine? I was station at Bragg for several years in the 90's, wow I'm freakin old now! anyway thanks for the post!

2009 Custom 900
Cobra dragsters
Fi2000r
Mustang seat
Shorty Shield
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seandh07 View Post
I was pulling lap times as quick as alot of the sportbike dudes. I was able to stop this little pig in 29 yards at 40mph, 39 yards at 50 mph, and 46 yards at 60 mph. This bike can perform pretty freaking amazingly. Stay safe out there guys.
Sean
Sounds like a GREAT school!
We forget sometimes (or at least I do!) that the Vulcan is indeed a pretty capable bike.
No...you're not going to reel in a Busa from light to light, but this bike has pretty darned good handling and braking for a 550+ pound V2 bike. It has a pretty big back tire, and the brakes are MUCH better than I thought a $6500 bike could have---and at 50 (more or less) RWHP, it's not to shabby in acceleration either if you don't go betting your pinks on it.

It's a PAIN in the backside having to take MC safety courses every three years to ride a scoot in the military, (something I'm currently 2-3 months DINK on!! ) BUT...you always get something of value out of the basic/advanced rider courses---and they're kinda fun to attend!!!

Be SAFE!

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who do not."

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat69 View Post
...I was station at Bragg for several years in the 90's, wow I'm freakin old now!!
Yeah, I hear you. I was in NAVSTA Charleston (now closed) during the 80's!!! Those PT tests get tougher every year!!!

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who do not."
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 11:12 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat69 View Post
sounds pretty fun, dont have anyhting like that around here. I have to ask are you a Marine? I was station at Bragg for several years in the 90's, wow I'm freakin old now! anyway thanks for the post!
devil dog checking in
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 11:46 AM

Thank you for your Service Brother! Got a son in on his 2nd tour in Korea now! Tried to sway his decision on the Army, nuthin doing, but I did talk him into keeping his feet on the ground HOOAH!

2009 Custom 900
Cobra dragsters
Fi2000r
Mustang seat
Shorty Shield
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 01:38 PM
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by seandh07 View Post
devil dog checking in
You don't happen to know if they do these classes on a regular basis, do you? On the reserve side, they'll occasionally pay for the basic MSF course but that's about it. If they do it again at Lejeune and have any extra slots open, I'd love to get more info. Lejeune is well within range for a weekend course.

'99 Vulcan 500, 29k miles

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 02:06 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2009 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom
Displacement/CC's: 900
Color: Black
Garage
What an awesome experience that must have been. To have someone patiently show you how to make the most out of your bike is a priceless opportunity. Very cool.

Keep the Shiny Side Up!
'09 900 Custom SE on the Darkside
"Not all those who wander are lost." J.R.R. Tolkien
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 03:28 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastpakr View Post
You don't happen to know if they do these classes on a regular basis, do you? On the reserve side, they'll occasionally pay for the basic MSF course but that's about it. If they do it again at Lejeune and have any extra slots open, I'd love to get more info. Lejeune is well within range for a weekend course.
We did have one reservist guy out there. You Just gotta talk to your Motorcycle Saftey Rep.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 03:34 PM
Top Contributor

I'll drop him a line and ask again. Last I spoke to him about it (just a few months ago), it was hard enough finding funding to cover the basic MSF course and impossible to get us into anything beyond it.

I'm assuming the Marine Corps paid for all this and it was free to the participants?

'99 Vulcan 500, 29k miles

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode