popping sound when I decelerate - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 12:24 PM Thread Starter

popping sound when I decelerate

'07 900 vulcan. I debaffeled the pipes. Now it seems to pop a little more when I get off the throttle. Love the throaty sound but the popping is not cool. Do I need to make adjustments somewhere?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 01:10 PM
Top Contributor

Question for ya... is it just at start up, then goes away when the bike is warmed up? That's how mine runs after debaffle, and doesn't bother me. It's not really something that wasn't happening before, you just hear it now with the debaffle.

2 solutions, if it really bugs ya, is to marble the beast and/or get a fuel controller, both of which are searchable topics on here. If ya still don't have an answer by the time I get home from work, I'll try to search out the threads for ya.

BACA Pretzel - Flyin' the highways in OK!
'08 Vulcan 1600 Nomad - "Grace"
Metallic Diablo Black/Candy Fire Red
LED Run/Turn/Brake
Vance and Hines Duals
Dobeck TFI
Kuryakyn Flame grips with Throttle Boss and Stiletto endcaps
Kuryakyn Longhorn offset highway pegs
Vista throttle lock
OEM light bar and luggage rack

B.A.C.A. Member, Oklahoma Chapter

Out to pasture - 2008 Vulcan 900 Custom: Redemption
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 02:26 PM Thread Starter

popping

Not so much at start up but generally after warm up and on the road

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 02:49 PM
Top Contributor

Look up marbling here on the forum. It's not the be all end all, but it's easy and I think you'll like the results.

My biggest fear is when I die, my wife will sell all my guitars for what I told her I paid for them.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 03:52 PM

As I understand it, the popping was, for the most part, always there, but the baffles made it so you just didn't hear it. Without those there, you're simply hearing that which has for the most part always been there, but you just didn't know it. As such, it is normal...but if you don't care for it, you can try one of the remedies mentioned above. I did the marbling, and had less success than I've read others have had, but it's quick and easy and worth a shot.

( Used to have: )
'08 Vulcan 900 Custom:
*Passion Red *Mustang One-Piece Vintage Seat
*Hard-Krome 2.5" Strippers with Smartpartz Hard Kore Baffles
*Cobra Short Sissybar, Pad & Insert *Leatherworks 312 Chopper Bag *Small/Med. Windshield
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 03:59 PM
Top Contributor

I think a bit of popping is cool. Ussually some small amount of un-burnt fuel combusting in the pipe I belive. Without the baffles and what ever else was in there, you hear this "in pipe explosion" now.

09 - 1700 Nomad
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 06:57 PM

The 06 Vulcan I bought backfires(pops) quite a bit. At times I find it to be a cool sound, but other times I find it annoying, because I keep thinking it really shouldn't be doing it. My bike has Hard Krome Stripper pipes, so not sure if that was normal.
-Rob

2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Classic
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06Vulcan900 View Post
The 06 Vulcan I bought backfires(pops) quite a bit. At times I find it to be a cool sound, but other times I find it annoying, because I keep thinking it really shouldn't be doing it. My bike has Hard Krome Stripper pipes, so not sure if that was normal.
-Rob
Mine has the same pipes and also pops.

To the OP, might also want to check the gasket seals and make sure they're tight. If there's air leakage, that can exacerbate the problem.

( Used to have: )
'08 Vulcan 900 Custom:
*Passion Red *Mustang One-Piece Vintage Seat
*Hard-Krome 2.5" Strippers with Smartpartz Hard Kore Baffles
*Cobra Short Sissybar, Pad & Insert *Leatherworks 312 Chopper Bag *Small/Med. Windshield
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 09:06 PM
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbolin View Post
'07 900 vulcan. I debaffeled the pipes. Now it seems to pop a little more when I get off the throttle. Love the throaty sound but the popping is not cool. Do I need to make adjustments somewhere?
I'm going to assume the decel popping is happening to you throughout the RPM range at zero throttle. If you didn't remove the pipes to de-baffle then the gaskets are probably still good. As suggested, tighten the acorn nuts to 12 ft/lb. just to be sure. Next, again as suggested, remove or plug the PAIR (secondary air) system. The PAIR is nothing more than a means to burn any unburned fuel that exits the engine. Removing the PAIR does not affect the performance of the bike, only reduces the decel popping. Let this forum know your results.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 11:40 PM Thread Starter

Popping is gone!

I want to thank everybody for the help on my 900 custom popping on decel. I went to the gas station and this time, filled up with regular gas. I was using premium. It has stopped completly. Strange, but it worked. Thanks again guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode