Exaust for 900 LT - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 07:47 AM Thread Starter

Exaust for 900 LT

Good day all:

I have a 2010 Classic LT 900. New rider and new bike. I was thinking about doing the stage 2 exaust mod, but am a little concerned. As far as aftermarket exaust goes, I want more sound but not real loud. Sound bytes on internet dosent seem to help me decide. I know its all opionon, but I need some help deciding....

Thanks

Joe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 08:03 AM

Exhaust Mod

Congrats on owning a Kaw 900! I have a 900 Custom and have done the First stage mod of drilling out the baffles at the back end of the mufflers with a 5/8 hole saw. Quiet at speed (maybe a very slight tone) but a nice purr when accelerating through the gears or passing other vehicles. My neighbors are pretty happy too. (AG2P) RIDE SAFE
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 10:01 AM
Top Contributor

I have done stage 1 & now stage 2 with 4-holes so far. The way I see it is this:

Stock exhaust - sounds like a sewing machine all the time.

Stage 1 - (drill/knock out center screen)
At idle it is still like a sewing machine. But you can hear a bit of the rumble when you get on the throttle. Still pretty quiet at cruising speed.

Stage 2 - (take off black end cap, cut off center pipe, drill 4-holes in baffle plate around center pipe)
It is louder than before but still pretty quiet at idle. For example, you can still talk to the biker next to you at a stop light. However, when you get on the throttle to accelerate hard, you are really starting to hear the rumble. The nice thing is that when you are not accelerating hard, it is not all that loud. Yes, louder at cruising speed than before, but not that loud WAAAAHHHHH that tends to give me headaches after 30 minutes.

As I said, this is as far as I have gone. I am thinking of adding 2-4 more holes per pipe, but I doubt that I will do stage 3. This is just my opinion, but if you want a bike to sound like a bike, but not be obnoxious, then stage 2 is the way to go. At worst, do stage 2 but only drill 2 holes in the baffle plate first. Then you can add more if you want to. Hope this helps.

'07 VN900 Classic
Horsepower is an illusion.
Torque is the source of all good things.

Last edited by Jeep Pirate; 08-23-2010 at 10:03 AM.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep Pirate View Post
I have done stage 1 & now stage 2 with 4-holes so far. The way I see it is this:

Stock exhaust - sounds like a sewing machine all the time.

Stage 1 - (drill/knock out center screen)
At idle it is still like a sewing machine. But you can hear a bit of the rumble when you get on the throttle. Still pretty quiet at cruising speed.

Stage 2 - (take off black end cap, cut off center pipe, drill 4-holes in baffle plate around center pipe)
It is louder than before but still pretty quiet at idle. For example, you can still talk to the biker next to you at a stop light. However, when you get on the throttle to accelerate hard, you are really starting to hear the rumble. The nice thing is that when you are not accelerating hard, it is not all that loud. Yes, louder at cruising speed than before, but not that loud WAAAAHHHHH that tends to give me headaches after 30 minutes.

As I said, this is as far as I have gone. I am thinking of adding 2-4 more holes per pipe, but I doubt that I will do stage 3. This is just my opinion, but if you want a bike to sound like a bike, but not be obnoxious, then stage 2 is the way to go. At worst, do stage 2 but only drill 2 holes in the baffle plate first. Then you can add more if you want to. Hope this helps.
That explains the sound pretty well. I went all the way to stage 3 and it really wasn't much (if any) of a change from stage 2 with six holes in each. You can still easily talk to the person next to you at a red light.

VROC #31005
'09 Vulcan 900 Classic turned LT
Fightin' Texas Aggie Class of '04
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 10:57 AM Thread Starter

Stage 1 completed this am

Thanks for all the replies. Looks like stage 2 this weekend.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 07:39 PM

Just my HOP, but I would do this over a few days, weeks depending on how much you ride. I was all set to go straight to Stage 2, but my 19yoa son said dad you know you can't put them back without spending a ton. So I did Stage 1: not much change at all, but I took it in stride and put about two hundred miles on the bike and all of a sudden it came to life... nice rumble at idle and with a half helmet I can hear them when running at speed, but no headaches. I can get your attention when I want with just a twist of the throttle. Used a 7/8in hole saw.

2016 Indian Dark Horse Chief w/Distressed tan leather
2010 VN 900 Custom SE Tourer
F&S SE Back Rest w/3" extensions
Roadkrome Sturgis Hardbags
Corbin Dual Tourer
Turn Signals w/Smoke Covers
Genmar Risers
Black Mirrors
Black 09 SE Pipes Stage 2 De-baffle
Blacked-Out Handlebar Controls
2008 HD FLH Fairing w/stereo and 6in shield
CC Crash Bar Black
Passenger and driver Floor Boards (Chrome)
Pirelli 200 Rear&90/90 Front

USCG CWO (Ret)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 08:42 PM

Just my 2 pennies, but I had alittle over 300 miles on my 09 custom when I came upon a deal I couldnt pass up. Cobra dragsters, I installed them at first without the baffels, then realized that was a crazy thought. I put the baffels in and the wife and I can talk just fine at idle or running down the road at a moderate speed. I personally didnt want to mess up the stock pipes in the event of a later upgrade.

2009 Custom 900
Cobra dragsters
Fi2000r
Mustang seat
Shorty Shield
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 01:51 AM
Top Contributor

cobra slashdown audio clip, i put them on a couple months ago and love them. It really gave the bike a little more pep . I didnt want to debaffle and lose resale value on the bike, i wanted the option to bring it back to stock to increase people interested in the bike , when i was ready to sell.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pia-_PJ7INY

Last edited by bigsarge2012; 08-24-2010 at 01:54 AM.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-25-2010, 01:15 PM

A buddy has cobra slashdowns on his 900LT. He thought they were too loud at highway speed, so he removed and wrapped the baffles in some kind of matting he bought at the auto parts store, sold for the purpose.

IMHO it's still too loud. Last weekend we went for a ride with a guy on a HD Softail springer. When my buddy's 900 was 50 yards in front, and the Softail was 25 yards in front, between the 900LTs, I couldn't hear the HD, and I couldn't hear mine, over the sound of the dampened Cobra slashdowns on the front 900LT.

If I ride up just off my buddy's right rear corner a few yards, he can't hear the Stebel air horn.

2007 VN900LT, red/titanium
OEM highway bars and luggage rack
OEM WS lowers
4.5 inch pull back risers
Kuryakin highway pegs
Stebel air horn
Utopia driver backrest on OEM seat
OEM gel seat for about town, and hauling grandkids
ISO grips
Jardine light bar
K&N air filter
Brakeaway cruise control
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-25-2010, 10:47 PM
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbwarner View Post
A buddy has cobra slashdowns on his 900LT. He thought they were too loud at highway speed, so he removed and wrapped the baffles in some kind of matting he bought at the auto parts store, sold for the purpose.

IMHO it's still too loud. Last weekend we went for a ride with a guy on a HD Softail springer. When my buddy's 900 was 50 yards in front, and the Softail was 25 yards in front, between the 900LTs, I couldn't hear the HD, and I couldn't hear mine, over the sound of the dampened Cobra slashdowns on the front 900LT.

If I ride up just off my buddy's right rear corner a few yards, he can't hear the Stebel air horn.
WHAT?? mine are no where near that loud, i can talk to my girl cruising at 40-50 MPH. I actually put slashdowns her honda 600 and they are louder than the vulcan. I have the stock baffles they came with in?? Maybe its just me being in my twenties and full of piss and vinegar .. lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode