question about air intake mod and fuel proccessor - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-22-2010, 02:17 PM Thread Starter
bob

question about air intake mod and fuel proccessor

first of all I have been reading the forum now for about a year and a half. I got a 2008 LT Dec 08. It was used with 1500 miles I have since then put just about 15K on the bike both 2 up and by my self. The bike is great can't complain about anything but the 6 gear problem. I have put some crome on it and added a signal minder, power plug for the gps and mp3 player. That works great with the Shark audio system.

Now it time for me to start with some real maintenance on the bike I am going to do the value clearance check this next week change the oil and was thinking of changing the air filter.

I am not looking for increased performance, I am looking for a filter that I can clean rather then throw away every 4k miles. I was wondering for those of you that have the Arlen Ness big sucker, has ther been any problems if you end up caught in the rain?

And would I have a problem if I don't use a fuel processor, the pipes are stock and I want to keep then stock.

Thanks for your help

Bob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-22-2010, 06:11 PM
Lifetime Premium

Air filter replacement is 12000 miles. Not sure why you would change every 4000 unless in really dusty riding conditions.....
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 09:17 AM
Top Contributor

You can put aftermarket intake on OR aftermarket pipes on and not worry about modulation. Do both and you'll need to check into fuel modulation. You MAY NOT NEED the modulator with both of them on, but generally you do. I have a BAK and I have the back ends of the mufflers cut out of the stock pipes. This leaves a restriction in the muffler and keeps the exhaust from flowing freely enough that I have my Gman Bully fuel processor set at factory inputs. My plugs look normal, barely leaner then stock intake/muffler.

If you're worried about rain water hitting the open, oiled filter element you can make a pre-filter out of black panty hose. Just cut a sleeve for the filter and put it over the clean/oiled filter. The rain will bounce off the pantyhose and you can keep riding. All that being said I've ridden in many downpours where I didn't even want to be on the bike without the BAK Raingaurd (same thing as pantyhose really) and had no problems whatsoever. I know a guy that had one of those Tornado's with the big open filter pointed forward. He went through the same storm and had no problems either. Only reason I use the prefilter is I can take it off, blow the dust out of it real quick and put it back on. Takes a lot longer to take the BAK apart to clean dust, leaves and bugs off of.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-30-2010, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
first of all I have been reading the forum now for about a year and a half. I got a 2008 LT Dec 08. It was used with 1500 miles I have since then put just about 15K on the bike both 2 up and by my self. The bike is great can't complain about anything but the 6 gear problem. I have put some crome on it and added a signal minder, power plug for the gps and mp3 player. That works great with the Shark audio system.

Now it time for me to start with some real maintenance on the bike I am going to do the value clearance check this next week change the oil and was thinking of changing the air filter.

I am not looking for increased performance, I am looking for a filter that I can clean rather then throw away every 4k miles. I was wondering for those of you that have the Arlen Ness big sucker, has ther been any problems if you end up caught in the rain?

And would I have a problem if I don't use a fuel processor, the pipes are stock and I want to keep then stock.

Thanks for your help

Bob
I have the LA choppers big air kit on my SE, no rain sock, i can tell you that i rode 80miles in a rainstorm, and without the rainsock,the only thing i noticed was an ocassional pop( moisture), from stop and go traffic.i did buy a rainsock,and used it once in the rain no popping,but i have since got my fuel processor dialed in so i really don't know if it was from the moisture on the filter or misadjusted processor.but overall i didn't have any adverse affects on engine performance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode