Recommended Tire Pressure - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-19-2010, 07:46 PM Thread Starter

Recommended Tire Pressure

Just changed from stock Dunlop to the Metzler 880's.....WOW what a difference. Wish I had done this from day one.

With the Dunlops was running 34 front and 38 rear. Now the dealer had both front and rear at 30.

Any recommendations on solo riding?

I know this is a tire question before I get yelled at and I also did a search but being this is for the Vulcan 900 figure it worked here also.

Thanks

Frank
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-20-2010, 05:29 AM
Top Contributor

I run 41F (stock lop) and 39R (Avon 200). Anything less than 38R the rear gets sloppy on turns.

2007 Custom
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-20-2010, 08:23 AM
Top Contributor

Go to Metzeler's web site, and they have suggested pressures for solo, light 2-up and heavey 2-up riding. With those numbers, I chose a mix based on my tires, and run 38 front, 40 back.

BACA Pretzel - Flyin' the highways in OK!
'08 Vulcan 1600 Nomad - "Grace"
Metallic Diablo Black/Candy Fire Red
LED Run/Turn/Brake
Vance and Hines Duals
Dobeck TFI
Kuryakyn Flame grips with Throttle Boss and Stiletto endcaps
Kuryakyn Longhorn offset highway pegs
Vista throttle lock
OEM light bar and luggage rack

B.A.C.A. Member, Oklahoma Chapter

Out to pasture - 2008 Vulcan 900 Custom: Redemption

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-20-2010, 10:25 AM
Top Contributor

I like to stick to the OEM recommended but now running +1 size so 38 on both.

Gitty Up & Go!

2007 VN 900 Custom modifications:
Corbin Young Guns Saddle*OEM Classic Gel Flame Saddle (when 2up)*OEM Light Bar*National Cycles Shield*OEM Ribbed Handlebar Grips*OEM Classic Rear Fender*PC III*V&H SCS Pipes (Modified)*Comet Milled BAK*Engine Guard*Genmar Risers*Clear Alternatives Integrated Tail Light*Kury Magnum Plus Mirrors*Kury Cruise Control*Upgraded Horn*Metzler 90/90/21*Avon Venom 200/70/15*Both SW Pulleys.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-20-2010, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sketso View Post
Go to Metzeler's web site, and they have suggested pressures for solo, light 2-up and heavey 2-up riding. With those numbers, I chose a mix based on my tires, and run 38 front, 40 back.
+1 on the Metz. I put 5K on a 880 before it was fatally wounded by FOD on the road. It still had a lot of tread left - but I have about the only "zero-burnout" V-Rod on the planet, so my back tires last longer than others do.

I normally shy away from using tire manufacturer's pressure recommendations because they're generated based on TIRE design, and not BIKE design. Our 550-some odd pound VN900s will require different pressure settings than some 1100-lb mastodon that happens to use the same size tire BUT...Metz seems to have thought this out and "recommends" tire pressures based on our bike....from which you can adjust to your riding preferences, body mass, etc...

Metz make a good tire! If you don't do many (*cough!!) burnouts on the VN, then you'll probably get good wear from the tire! ---(if you stay away from roofing nails that is!!)

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who do not."
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-20-2010, 01:19 PM
Top Contributor

Just in case you haven't gotten there yet:

http://www.us.metzelermoto.com/web/p...s/default.page

I'm running 46 rear 40 front. We ride 2 up a lot and together we clock in at 310 lbs.

My biggest fear is when I die, my wife will sell all my guitars for what I told her I paid for them.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-20-2010, 03:39 PM

Pick up a nail, buy a new tire, and tube

New tire, less then a month old. I found a nail , and the dealer says you can,t patch the tire hole, and replace the tube. I know you sure don,t want a blowout at 70, on a defective tire, I want to be safe, but isn,t this a little extream? anyone have any thoughts?
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-20-2010, 03:49 PM
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by squeaks View Post
New tire, less then a month old. I found a nail , and the dealer says you can,t patch the tire hole, and replace the tube. I know you sure don,t want a blowout at 70, on a defective tire, I want to be safe, but isn,t this a little extream? anyone have any thoughts?
Just replace the tube. A nail hole in a tubed tire isn't a big deal. I know we used to patch our tubes on our bikes when we were kids, but I'd just replace it.

My biggest fear is when I die, my wife will sell all my guitars for what I told her I paid for them.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-20-2010, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Braske View Post
Just replace the tube. A nail hole in a tubed tire isn't a big deal. I know we used to patch our tubes on our bikes when we were kids, but I'd just replace it.
We went through 10 pages of name calling, ankle-biting, and pontifications about this in another forum. FWIW, I've run for 1,000 miles with a plug installed on a tubeless tire. I didn't die. Since the tire had 5k on it, I just ordered a replacement through e-Bay and replaced it at my leisure. Everybody thinks that if the plug fails you'll have a blowout (and I guess you might...) but usually the air just comes whooshing out the same hole that you had before you plugged it. It's not a good thing to be sure, but your tire is not going to explode if the plug fails - or the patch comes loose. In fact, since the plug usually makes the hole somewhat larger, I'd wager that it would act as a sort of relief valve if the forces of evil and darkness start working on your scoot.
My VN is "blessed" with tubes in the spoked rims. I'm also "blessed" by the fact that street sweepers are a novelty in my area. M/C tires are 200 clams a pop. Given that, I'll probably pull the tire, and install a patch and a new tube when I find my next roofing nail, sheetrock screw, etc... I've never had a patch fail, and the fact that the tube is really what keeps the air in the tire---well, this seems to be a safe enough approach---FOR ME.
That's just how I roll.
If you do not feel comfortable atop a plugged, patched, slimed, or otherwise sullied tire then somebody out there will be delighted to stick a new one on for you, and you'll both sleep better that night!

Edit: Your dealer is probably just salivating over the prospect of selling and mounting a new tire and tube - or - their insurance company might not let them patch a M/C tire to keep the bed-wetting lawyers at bay. Personally I'm leaning towards the former. You thusly have only 3 options:
1. Pay the pig.
2. Try another stealer or independant shop.
3. Pull the tire yourself and fix it. I haven't tried this out myself (yet) but I'm TOLD that it's not all that difficult a thing to do.

Good Luck!
Let us know how it comes out!!!

Like I said....JMHO!!

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who do not."

Last edited by ETC(SS); 08-20-2010 at 05:56 PM.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-21-2010, 05:12 AM

Thanks for the info. I am thinking a little in the same direction, they give me the safety speech, and I folded, and got another new tire,and tube. The next time the nail bandit catches a ride on my scoot, I will just replace the tube, and patch the tire. Come to think about it , they never gave me my almost new tire back.

Last edited by squeaks; 08-21-2010 at 05:17 AM. Reason: spelling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode