License Plate/ Taillight relocater - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-18-2010, 09:28 PM Thread Starter

License Plate/ Taillight relocater

I was wondering if anyone knew of a kit that was capable of relocating the stock taillights and the license plate to the rear fender. The bulky, black, plastic thing on my 2009 Vn 900 Custom is starting to annoy me lol, it just looks ugly. I know that ShowChrom makes a nice piece for the Vn 2000, that uses the stock taillights, and eliminates that huge plastic piece. Wondering if anyone knew of anything similar for the Vn900
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-18-2010, 09:41 PM

I saw one where someone went to home depot and bought a plate and small trailer light and made thier own that looked real good as side mount.

Live to ride and keep it safe
Robert

2011 Victory Vision pearl white/ Pearl the White Lady
1999 VN800b4 classic
Mods
1 kury iso flame grips
2 cobra slash pipes
3 cobra floor boards
4 MS fats windscreen
5 kury iso highway peggs
6 kawi light bar
7 kury mirrors
8 kury swingwing pass peggs
9 sissybar with pass back rest and rack
10old leather saddle bags
11 hard chrome volt meter
12 mustang solo seat with back rest
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-21-2010, 10:39 AM

While I didn't completely remove the stock bracket, I've moved the tag up and it looks a bit cleaner and not as bulky.

Basically, I removed the tag light and installed the tag bracket in the 2 holes; then I installed an LED Tag Frame and wired it to the old light. For kicks, I installed the reflector where the old tag bracket (had to drill for that), but I could have just dremel'd some of the bracket out to clean things up. At least now the tag does not hang 2" from the ground!

2009 VN900 Custom - VROC #32967 - Sportbike defector
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-21-2010, 10:47 PM Thread Starter

hey Breizh-- sweet pics... prior to reading your reply, I decided to remove the reflector, widen the 2 holes behind it, and move the stock license plate bracket up an inch or two. The difference is really amazing. The bike looks a lot cleaner and not as cheap because more of the plastic is covered. I thought i was done, but after seeing your pictures, I'm gonna have to mess around with the back end again as soon as I get a free moment, and move the bracket up even higher lol... Thanks for the advice, and I love the way it looks

2009 Vulcan 900 Custom
Vance and Hines Slash Cut Staggereds
IsoFlame Grips

ShowChrome chrome accessories
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-22-2010, 06:01 AM

There is a relocator bracket on ebay.

Here is a pic - the fit and finish are fantastic.

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-22-2010, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mibeaulieu View Post
There is a relocator bracket on ebay.
I can't find it on ebay... Does it come with a tag light? I can't tell from the pic.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-22-2010, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breizh View Post
While I didn't completely remove the stock bracket, I've moved the tag up and it looks a bit cleaner and not as bulky.

Basically, I removed the tag light and installed the tag bracket in the 2 holes; then I installed an LED Tag Frame and wired it to the old light. For kicks, I installed the reflector where the old tag bracket (had to drill for that), but I could have just dremel'd some of the bracket out to clean things up. At least now the tag does not hang 2" from the ground!
So where did you find the LED tag frame? Looks great and I'm sure it cost alot less than the side mount relocation kits I've been looking at.

2009 Custom 900
Cobra dragsters
Fi2000r
Mustang seat
Shorty Shield
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-22-2010, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat69 View Post
So where did you find the LED tag frame? Looks great and I'm sure it cost alot less than the side mount relocation kits I've been looking at.
I got this one from radiantz, $29.99 + $9.00 Shipping. They have it in "chrome" and black. I opted for black to have it blend in. A couple of things about this frame:
- You'll have to notch the license place and the license plate bracket: the LED wiring is right on the inside edge of the frame and could get cut when you tighten the screws down.
- They come with some odd allen screws and I didn't have a wrench that fit! Something between a 2.5 and a 3....
- You'll have to put a couple of washers between the original plastic bracket and the license plate bracket to allow for the wiring to go through the large hole in the middle, without getting pinched.

This was not my first choice as far as layout. What I really wanted was a plain frame and stick a small (LED) light under the fender, right at the edge, to shine down on the license plate. I think it would look even sharper. But I went the quick and dirty way.

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-22-2010, 07:31 PM

What I did with mine:

http://img704.imageshack.us/i/imag0004a.jpg/

http://img704.imageshack.us/i/imag0003g.jpg/

Brad Kline
2009 Vulcan 900 Custom Special Edition

Completely Debaffled Exhaust
Flush mount smoke turn signals
License plate relocater

"Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle."

“Riding a motorcycle is ten percent hands and feet and ninety percent mind and eyes.”
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 03:33 PM

Question

Hey Guys here's a question to throw out there. I have been looking at getting some hard bags for my '09 Custom. See thread https://www.vulcanforums.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=10326

The biggest problem with the Corbin's Beetle Bags (the ones I like the best) is that the turn signals and the license plate are located about an inch and a half closer to the tail light horizontally, as opposed to the Classic or the LT.

I think that if I relocated my turn signals and could move the license plate back I could put these on. I know the fender is a lot shorter, but I think the signals and plate would hide the gap. I think that the fender is identical up to the point where the plate and turn signals are mounted from the bottom of the fender.

Where would you put the plate and the signals with a Beetle Bag?

Just working on some ideas...

Targett

2009 Vulcan 900 Custom
Candy Burnt Orange
Small OEM Windsheild
Stage I Debaffle on Stock Pipes
Swingwing Forward Pegs
Kurykan Shifter Cover
Kurykan Foot Brake Cover
Cobra Sissy Bar
Cobra Swept Passenger Foorboards
Working on some other customization now...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode