Running Hot! HELP? - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-18-2010, 06:16 PM Thread Starter

Running Hot! HELP?

Ok...I've read the threads about overheating and haven't found an answer to what I need. My 09 with 2500 miles seems to be running hotter than normal. Last summer it seemed ok but a little hot.... but now it seems hotter. I just got back from a short ride of about 8 miles..it is 80 degrees and i just rode about 55mph. I could feel a lot of heat around my legs and when i turned on my street the fan was running. My hearing is not so good so I couldn't tell if it was running while crusing. Seems odd that it is running when I'm only going about 25mph.
I am not running lean because I checked the plugs a short while back. I'm running a Bully processor and it runs great. I do have an exhauxt leak because I can't get my Vance and Hines pipes to seal up with those funky factory exhaust gaskets. It pops a lot on deceleration.
So you guys have any ideas that I can try? Any input would be helpful....Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-18-2010, 07:10 PM
Top Contributor

You're bike is not even close to broken in yet. I'm afraid you'll have at least 5000 more miles of warm running. Now coming up to my first spring I had close to 15,000 on the bike and it was mid summer before I heard the fan kick on, kinda had me worried. But I also noticed that the air cleaner was staying cooler and I could leave my leg up against it.

When I come off the highway, now that it's back in the 80's it takes about 10 seconds and my fan kicks on. Sometimes it takes till I pull up in my drive, couple minutes. But I've got 37,000 miles on my bike, it's broken in but good.

Try putting a washer under the acorn nut when you're putting your pipes on. I think the V&H flanges and Cobras are a little thinner then stock and you can't torque em down before bottoming out the acorns, Stainless Steel washers are available at the hardware store.

If the light doesn't come on and the fan is working you just need to ride more. However, I did overheat once and when I inspected it I found a rock in between the fan and the radiator which kept the fan from turning. Now along with checking tire pressure and such I make sure that spins too.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-18-2010, 08:19 PM

2500 miles on my stock 09 Classic LT. Running Rotella Dino. My fan comes on quite often as well.... I am not worried.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-19-2010, 08:11 AM
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by lofelad View Post
Ok...I've read the threads about overheating and haven't found an answer to what I need. My 09 with 2500 miles seems to be running hotter than normal. Last summer it seemed ok but a little hot.... but now it seems hotter. I just got back from a short ride of about 8 miles..it is 80 degrees and i just rode about 55mph. I could feel a lot of heat around my legs and when i turned on my street the fan was running. My hearing is not so good so I couldn't tell if it was running while crusing. Seems odd that it is running when I'm only going about 25mph.
I am not running lean because I checked the plugs a short while back. I'm running a Bully processor and it runs great. I do have an exhauxt leak because I can't get my Vance and Hines pipes to seal up with those funky factory exhaust gaskets. It pops a lot on deceleration.
So you guys have any ideas that I can try? Any input would be helpful....Thanks
When the engine is cold, pull the tank and see if the coolant level is up to the bottom of the pressure cap. There are others that use wetting agents in their cooling systems that rave about how much cooler they make their bikes run. I've never tried them but maybe others will chime in.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-19-2010, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunternutz View Post
My fan comes on quite often as well.... I am not worried.
Same situation for me. I've checked my coolant level, and everything looks good. Since that's okay and the bike runs great, I assume a liberal amount of fan activity is part and parcel of the Vulcan 900.

( Used to have: )
'08 Vulcan 900 Custom:
*Passion Red *Mustang One-Piece Vintage Seat
*Hard-Krome 2.5" Strippers with Smartpartz Hard Kore Baffles
*Cobra Short Sissybar, Pad & Insert *Leatherworks 312 Chopper Bag *Small/Med. Windshield
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-19-2010, 02:13 PM
Top Contributor

My fan only comes on as it should; sitting at long red lights in the heat. I've made hour long runs at 80mph and the fan doesn't come on. I have to force it to come on just so I can check that it still works. My last bike needed water wetter to keep the fan off. On these hot days it's hard to tell how much heat is from the engine and how much is from the black asphalt and other vehicles.

2007 Custom
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-19-2010, 02:58 PM

When the fan's runnin' all the time while the bike's puking coolant all over the place come and talk to us.

Otherwise, you're fine, don't worry about it. It's an engine, it gets hot.

'09 Vulcan 900 Custom
'08 Concours 14
'05 CBR1000RR Repsol
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-19-2010, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lofelad View Post
Ok...My 09 with 2500 miles seems to be running hotter than normal. Last summer it seemed ok but a little hot.... but now it seems hotter. I just got back from a short ride of about 8 miles..it is 80 degrees and i just rode about 55mph. I could feel a lot of heat around my legs and when i turned on my street the fan was running. My hearing is not so good so I couldn't tell if it was running while crusing. Seems odd that it is running when I'm only going about 25mph.
Thanks
Is your temp light illuminating when the bike seems to run hot? My 09LT only has 1500 miles on it, so it's probably not broken in yet either - even though I ride it like a rental bike...
I cannot usually hear my fan running while riding over the ticks, rattles, and whines that entertain me on the road, but it always kicks in when I slow down for a light, brake for a cell phone queen, etc...
I expect that, since our motor is air and liquid cooled, that the radiator fan will kick in more when the bike is at lower speeds - or stopped. The VN900 has large air cooling fins for a motor its size - this is probably both for looks and cooling.
If your light IS illuminating - that's a different problem and I'd IMMEDIATELY check things like coolant levels, radiator blockages, water pump operation, etc...I had a buddy that put some big gawdy chrome cover on his radiator, and he almost worked his poor radiator fan to death!

Short answer: If the temp light isn't illuminated, I wouldn't worry about it much. Modern bikes like our VN900(* cough!), are made to "run warm" for emmissions...I guess.

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who do not."

Last edited by ETC(SS); 08-19-2010 at 03:23 PM.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-19-2010, 09:05 PM
Lifetime Premium

Go with the water wetter. I put 6 oz. in mine at the beginning of the summer season and found a considerable difference in the heat coming off the engine. The fan still come on, but not as much as before. Just returned from a 2700 mile ride out west and was comfortable all the way except for a couple of 98 + degree days of solid riding between destinations. Can't do much when it gets close to 100 degrees except water yourself down before hitting the Hwy.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-20-2010, 08:38 AM
Top Contributor

You can put additives in if you want, but you're best solution is to just get some miles on the bike. What you really need is a liquid that won't boil to easily and won't freeze in your environment. I think they call that Anti-freeze. Past that, I don't know what any additive could actually do for you save relieve you of a little excess money.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode