Rear Tire 200 vs 180 - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-18-2010, 02:37 PM Thread Starter

Rear Tire 200 vs 180

Seems that Pirelli doesn't make a 200 Rear and a 130 Front that match.

So, besides the speedo effect, is the 200 better for other noticable reasons ?

I realize I can put a rear on the front, but don't want to at the moment. However, I will certainly listen.

06 Kawi Vulcan Nomad - Cobra Lite Bar, Phat II Risers, Vista Cruise, Krusier Kady, Kuryakyn Longhorn Dually Pegs, Mustang w/ Backrest, Vance & Hines Dual Baggers, PC III, Cobra Luggage Rack, Electrical Connection LED R,B, T Conversion, Jay Stephens LED Tail Light, Classic Chaps, Avon Cobra's.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-18-2010, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckoach View Post
I realize I can put a rear on the front, but don't want to at the moment.
Huh? Not sure I got that.
Otherwise - it depends on what you mean by "better"...
Putting a bigger tire in the rear will prob not make that much of a difference...on this bike, unless you're a peg dragger, or you have a shoebox full of drag slips and you're looking to shave that extra thousanths off of your 1/4-mile time.
I clubbed up to a 200 on my other bike, and it seemed I had to reef it into a turn juuuuuust a little more, and the bike seemed juuuuuust a tad slower out of the box - I also lost a half a mile to the gallon (33MPG) but on a VN900 you'll probably not notice much of a difference - depending on how calibrated your butt cheek sensors are.
Others report that a 200 series tire brought the speedometer a little closer to reality - but I have no direct experience with that.

I'd say if you LIKE the "phat" look - you'll probably like the bigger tire...and that's pretty important too-huh?

Give feedback.
I might buy one myself!

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who do not."
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-19-2010, 07:52 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckoach View Post
I realize I can put a rear on the front, but don't want to at the moment. However, I will certainly listen.
I have read a few times, that you can put a rear on the front. That it just has more tread.

On my other tire thread from yesterday, Mr Clean, who did just that, had a problem with his rear on the front. He's not sure if it was a nail he picked up, or a loose nut. But, the tire needed to come off at about half life.

06 Kawi Vulcan Nomad - Cobra Lite Bar, Phat II Risers, Vista Cruise, Krusier Kady, Kuryakyn Longhorn Dually Pegs, Mustang w/ Backrest, Vance & Hines Dual Baggers, PC III, Cobra Luggage Rack, Electrical Connection LED R,B, T Conversion, Jay Stephens LED Tail Light, Classic Chaps, Avon Cobra's.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode