cobra slashdown/speedster question - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-17-2010, 10:48 PM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

cobra slashdown/speedster question

Anyone remove the baffles from their cobra slashdowns? Did they go back in easy? I would like to take mine out but i have to put them back in for the annual saftey inspection (arhhhhh) and dont want to have to remove the whole exhaust..Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-18-2010, 02:10 PM

They are simple to install or remove. Be sure to use locktite on the screws when you put them back in or you run a high risk of seeing a baffle bouncing down the road in your rear-view mirror...
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-18-2010, 04:22 PM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by VSJ725 View Post
They are simple to install or remove. Be sure to use locktite on the screws when you put them back in or you run a high risk of seeing a baffle bouncing down the road in your rear-view mirror...
Thanks, how did they sound when you took em out?

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-19-2010, 08:30 AM

I actually never started the bike with the baffles out. I bought my bike used and it had the Cobra pipes already installed. They were too loud for my taste and the pitch of the noise actually made my ears ring to the point that I was dizzy when I got off my bike after riding 30 minutes or so.

I took the original baffles out and replaced them with Cobra Quiet Core baffles with a set of Smartpartz Hard Kore inserts. That lowered the pitch of the exhaust and quieted it enough that I'm happy.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-04-2010, 11:13 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to cruiser331
Quote:
I took the original baffles out and replaced them with Cobra Quiet Core baffles with a set of Smartpartz Hard Kore inserts. That lowered the pitch of the exhaust and quieted it enough that I'm happy.
I am unclear, did you use the Cobra Quiet core or the Smartpartz cores?

2008 Vulcan 900 Classic LT hued in Luminous Polaris Blue and Atomic Silver ~ named T'Pol ~
Having left space dock for another home planet, a 94 Vulcan 750, named Surak, Wine and Black Cherry
Recently added a sweet 2008 Nomad to my Vulcan galaxy, she is RED and BLACK named T'mere
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-05-2010, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiser331 View Post
I am unclear, did you use the Cobra Quiet core or the Smartpartz cores?
Both. The Smartpartz baffles actually are made to be inserted into the ends of another set of baffles. Normally you'd insert them into the baffles that came with your exhaust, but I bought the Cobra Quiet Core baffles first and wasn't satisfied with them, so I bought the Smartpartz afterwards.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-05-2010, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Both. The Smartpartz baffles actually are made to be inserted into the ends of another set of baffles. Normally you'd insert them into the baffles that came with your exhaust, but I bought the Cobra Quiet Core baffles first and wasn't satisfied with them, so I bought the Smartpartz afterwords.
After I posted to you I did some reading on their site and I saw that. Also I had been talking to one of the guys at a local bike shop and he basically said that the Cobra quiet cores are quieter but not by much at all. I guess it is nice that in combination there is a wide variety of tone to come up with.

2008 Vulcan 900 Classic LT hued in Luminous Polaris Blue and Atomic Silver ~ named T'Pol ~
Having left space dock for another home planet, a 94 Vulcan 750, named Surak, Wine and Black Cherry
Recently added a sweet 2008 Nomad to my Vulcan galaxy, she is RED and BLACK named T'mere
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-05-2010, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiser331 View Post
After I posted to you I did some reading on their site and I saw that. Also I had been talking to one of the guys at a local bike shop and he basically said that the Cobra quiet cores are quieter but not by much at all. I guess it is nice that in combination there is a wide variety of tone to come up with.
I was dissapointed with the Quiet Core baffles by themselves. If you want to deepen the pitch and quiet the Cobra pipes a little, I'd recommend using the Hard Core baffles from Smartpartz with the baffles that come with the Cobra pipes. If that's still a little loud, then get the Cobra Quiet Cores.

I tried every combination... original baffles, Quiet Cores, original + Smartpartz, Quiet Core + Smartpartz.

Last edited by VSJ725; 09-05-2010 at 08:24 PM.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-05-2010, 10:21 PM

Quote:
I was disappointed with the Quiet Core baffles by themselves. If you want to deepen the pitch and quiet the Cobra pipes a little, I'd recommend using the Hard Core baffles from Smartpartz with the baffles that come with the Cobra pipes. If that's still a little loud, then get the Cobra Quiet Cores.

I tried every combination... original baffles, Quiet Cores, original + Smartpartz, Quiet Core + Smartpartz.
The only pipes I have heard on a VN900 was a set of V&H which sounded OK but tinny and 2 others had Cobra Speedster Longs on them. They were LOUD! So loud that I thought they were running with out the baffles. Oddly enough a couple months ago I saw a VN2000 with Cobra slashdowns and they were fairly quiet at idle.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode