Slip Streamer windshield - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-15-2010, 05:30 PM Thread Starter

Slip Streamer windshield

Ok, I know this has been beaten to death, but I'm on the hunt for a windshield as I have a fairly long (for me) trip coming up. I normally don't ride with one, but I also don't do much highway riding, maybe because I don't have a windshield. Anyway, I've been looking at the Slip Streamer Classic windshields. I like the looks of them, and the price seems to be right for me. They appear to be available in 17" and 22" versions. I'm having a tough time deciding between the two.

I've been reading forums and websites like crazy, but just can't seem to find much in the way of opinions on either one. Any suggestions one way or the other? I'm 5'10".

Thanks,
Jonathan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-15-2010, 08:33 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2013 Vulcan Nomad
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Blue/White
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMHuss View Post
Ok, I know this has been beaten to death, but I'm on the hunt for a windshield as I have a fairly long (for me) trip coming up. I normally don't ride with one, but I also don't do much highway riding, maybe because I don't have a windshield. Anyway, I've been looking at the Slip Streamer Classic windshields. I like the looks of them, and the price seems to be right for me. They appear to be available in 17" and 22" versions. I'm having a tough time deciding between the two.

I've been reading forums and websites like crazy, but just can't seem to find much in the way of opinions on either one. Any suggestions one way or the other? I'm 5'10".

Thanks,
Jonathan
Jonathon,

I can only speak for me, but I like a big ole fat windshield in front of me. I don't like my head being pushed around by wind. I have an OEM shield (20") and I have it 3/4 of the way up (I am 5'9"). Any lower and I can feel the wind pushing the top of my head around. I figure if you got the 22" and set it down low you would get similar protection.

You might want to look into making a set of lowers as well. It keeps the head turbulance way down, really. They only cost about $30.00 to make vs $100-$175 for aftermarket ones. Good luck with whatever you decide. Ride safe.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-15-2010, 08:34 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2017 Vaquero ABS
Displacement/CC's: 1700 cc
Color: Candy Cardinal Red
Garage
I don't know about SlipStreamer, but Memphis shades has a nice section on their site to help you size a windshield. But you can't go by your total height. Butt to eyes is the dimension that's critical. My local Kaw shop has a calibrated windshield for sizing you and your bike. That's really the best way to check it. When you're sitting comfortably on the bike you should be able to look over the top without stretching and thru the upper portion without crouching too much. I'm 6' (34"inseam) and my 18" Pop Top isn't tall enough for me. I have to crouch way down to get into the quiet zone and sitting up I get a lot of buffeting.
Oh and Hard Cases notwithstanding, most everyone I know always rides with a windshield after they try it once. You can ride a lot longer, even at high speeds, without tiring. Last ride we went from Newark, NY to Canton, NY before stopping for dinner and fuel (~200 mi). Of course the Mustang seat helps too!

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-15-2010, 08:39 PM

Garage
I'm 5'11". I have the Memphis Sportshield Big Shot. I think it is 22" or 21". I have it all the way up the forks and it works great. The quick connect and unlimited adjustments make it weel worth the money.

'08 VULCAN 900 Custom
GenMar Risers
Mustang 2 Up Seat / Mustang Tank Cover
Cobra Back Rest w/ Plate
Cobra Luggage Rack
Willie & Max Revolution Bags
Memphis Shades Windshield
Kuryakyn Iso Grips w/ Throttle Boss
Smoked Signals
Dually Rear Pegs
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-15-2010, 09:30 PM

I'm 5'6" and I have the Slip Streamer 17". The 17" is perfect for my height. Mine is mounted as low as it can go and the windshield is right at eye level. I like it like that because I can sit straight up and look over the windshield or slouch down a bit for full protection. My hubby is 5'9" and also has the 17". He says the size is perfect for him too. His is mounted higher than mine.

09 900 Classic.
My name is Jean and my bike's name is Peppermint Patty. We are Rolling with the big dogs and keeping up! My 900 is one sweet ride!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-15-2010, 11:35 PM

SS

I originally bought the shorter 17" model, I'm 6'1" and I could feel the wind hitting my helmet. Sent it back in for the taller model and I like it really well. I made some lowers as they were right without them you can feel the buffeting. The lady from GM-cycles on ebay said the memphis shades never sells for any discounts but SS does so I bought the non quick disc. model for $177 compared to over $225 for memphis shades comparable. Lots of guys told me once you get used to the windscreen you won't want to drive without it. I believed it after driving my sons harley.

2009 Black Classic

Mustang Seat w/Backrest
Cobra Standard Backrest with Luggage Rack
Smoke Slipstreamer Windshield
Lindby Multibar Engine Guards
Homemade Lowers
Wally World Running Lights
Stebel Air Horn
Vista Cruise Control
Scootworks Front OD Pulley
Stage 2 Debaffle Stock Pipes
170/80/15 Pirelli Rear Tire
Kury Run/Turn/Brake module
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-16-2010, 09:05 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all of your input. I went ahead and ordered the 22". I guess if it's too tall I can send it back and order the 17" instead. I'll post pics once it's installed.

Thanks again,
Jonathan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode