a bunch of mechanical questions - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-15-2010, 10:52 AM Thread Starter

Year/Make/Model: 2007 Kawi 900 Custom
Displacement/CC's: 900
Color: Blue
Garage
a bunch of mechanical questions

I am riding an '09 900 LT, just did a first service. I have been looking for a few pieces of info, some that I found a while ago and some that I can't seem to put together.

1. Headlight bulb upgrade: I read somewhere that there is a bulb upgrade that provides a good amount more light at night. Anyone remember this or has done this?
2. Does anyone else feel like they need a 6th gear or maybe a longer 4th and 5th? Any info on that?
3. I have been reading a lot on air intake, exhaust, FI adjustments, and was wondering if there is an engineered package? Since all of these are related I figure they should be engieered to coincide with one another.

If anyone has any info or can direct me to a conversation that already has this info it would be great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-15-2010, 11:25 AM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2013 Vulcan Nomad
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Blue/White
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwdemarco2 View Post
I am riding an '09 900 LT, just did a first service. I have been looking for a few pieces of info, some that I found a while ago and some that I can't seem to put together.

1. Headlight bulb upgrade: I read somewhere that there is a bulb upgrade that provides a good amount more light at night. Anyone remember this or has done this?
2. Does anyone else feel like they need a 6th gear or maybe a longer 4th and 5th? Any info on that?
3. I have been reading a lot on air intake, exhaust, FI adjustments, and was wondering if there is an engineered package? Since all of these are related I figure they should be engieered to coincide with one another.

If anyone has any info or can direct me to a conversation that already has this info it would be great.
1.-No idea
2. Search "ScootWorks Pulley"
3. No Idea

Good luck. Stay Safe
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-15-2010, 02:11 PM

The stock bulb in your headlight is an H4. There are a number of higher output H4 bulbs that will mechanically fit however some of them draw more current to achieve higher light output and may exceed either the stock fuse capacity or draw more that the wiring harness is designed for. In an unusual twist of circumstances Harley makes a High Output H4 that achieves it's greater output thru the use of higher efficiency gases in the filament envelope of the bulb. It doesn't draw any more current than the stock 55/60 watt original but will give you higher light output in the visual range. Here's the unusual part. Although it is as efficient as some of the other after-market units available it's actually cheaper than some equivalents. You can get it at your local HD dealer for about $20.00 plus tax. RIDE SAFE

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-15-2010, 02:45 PM
Lifetime Premium

I picked up a Philips MotoVision H4 bulb designed for motorcycles at the local Pep Boys for about $20.00 They claim 40% brighter while at about the same wattage. Never touch the bulb glass with your fingers, or if you do, make sure to clean it with alcohol before lighting it up.

Ron in Cincinnati

Wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then.
.........Bob Seger
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-16-2010, 08:36 AM

bulb

Napa has the H4 high output bulb for $12. Instead of 55/70? if I remember right it is 80/100? Do a search for high output headlight you should be able to find it.

2009 Black Classic

Mustang Seat w/Backrest
Cobra Standard Backrest with Luggage Rack
Smoke Slipstreamer Windshield
Lindby Multibar Engine Guards
Homemade Lowers
Wally World Running Lights
Stebel Air Horn
Vista Cruise Control
Scootworks Front OD Pulley
Stage 2 Debaffle Stock Pipes
170/80/15 Pirelli Rear Tire
Kury Run/Turn/Brake module
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-16-2010, 10:25 AM
Top Contributor

1 - I have been running the Wagner 80/100w bulb from Napa for several months with no ill effects. And yes, it is a bit brighter. Even if your battery was slightly on the discharge side and only putting out 11 volts, at 100 watts you would pull 9.1 amps. Since the circuit is good for at least 10 amps, you should have no problems. If your battery is more discharged than 11 volts, you have other problems anyway. Also, I recently ran my battery down and had to jump the bike. Even with a low volt battery, I did not blow the head light fuse. This link to Gadjet's Page describes this bulb option.

You can also get one of those Silverstar high output bulbs. These are the ones that look blue or white and therefore give more usable light. They run the same watts as the stock bulb, but burn hotter due to the internal gases. These are fine, but from experience, they don't last as long. I got about a year out of a set I put in my wife's car. And I didn't run headlights all the time on her car like the bike does. Still, its not a bad option, just remember the drawback of whiter (hotter) light.

2 - Scootworks pulley - I love mine.

3 - No one sells exhaust, FI controller and Intake as an all in one kit. The rule of thumb is that if you change your exhaust only or your intake only, you do not need to use a FI controller. But if you change both, you will need to add the FI controller. Other than that, you will get varying opinions on which exhaust and intakes are the best, loudest, prettiest, etc. I think that is why they don't come in kits. Everyone has their own opinion as to which ones they like.

'07 VN900 Classic
Horsepower is an illusion.
Torque is the source of all good things.

Last edited by Jeep Pirate; 08-16-2010 at 10:27 AM.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-16-2010, 10:45 AM

The only concerns I would have about the NAPA 80 watt bulb is that they also burn hotter than your stock 55. Some folks on the Nomad forum have reported problems with this. And technically, they are supposed to be "For Off-Road Use Only", and you may find a zealous officer that wants an excuse to pull you over.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-16-2010, 10:56 AM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2009 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom
Displacement/CC's: 900
Color: Black
Garage
I'm not absolutely positive, but i believe Fuggin Fabrication will sell you a "kit". I know they have some nice pipes and sell a controller. The part i'm not positive about is the air cleaner. Doug at Fuggin mentioned once that they had used an S&S air cleaner with their controller and pipes on a 900 and it worked well. Something to check out, anyway.

Keep the Shiny Side Up!
'09 900 Custom SE on the Darkside
"Not all those who wander are lost." J.R.R. Tolkien
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-16-2010, 03:59 PM

1. nothing beats an auxilliary light kit . (Like the cobra) Lights up the sides of the road and widens the beam at night and makes you more visble during the day.
2. scootworks makes pulleys for both front and rear that change the drive driven ratio. You can change one or both.
3. Many, many options for exhaust, intake and fuel processors. That is the fun of modifying your bike. Nothing like a good competent dynotune after you do your mods

2009 CLASSIC LT, RED TITANIUM
WESTERN MASS
MG Cycles engine Guard
Cobra Light bar w/Visors
Demon Cycles Tachometer
Shark 100w stereo
Fully debaffled
Scootworks Front pulley
Luggage rack
Kurayakyn flame grips
Stebel Air Horn

Mark
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-16-2010, 04:20 PM

gman industries

www.gmanindustries.com has bully fully adjustable fuel management systems for metric's. This contoller is fully adjustable with 5 stages and the best part is he also sells a handlebar mount. Check out this system. Check his website and read the reviews. He also lists dyno results for most metrics with the bully in either stage 1, 2 or 3.

2009 Classic 900 Candy Red
OEM W/Shield (23")
OEM Backrest
Mutazu Luggage Rack
Iron Rider rear luggage bag
Saddleman Rigid mount bags
Cobra passenger boards
Jardine highway bar
Kury Highway pegs
Kury lisc plate mount
Cobra Tachometer
Showchrome handlebar temp gauge