Rainy ride and post bike care - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-15-2010, 06:56 AM Thread Starter

Rainy ride and post bike care

Got caught out in a thunder storm yesterday and had to ride about 30 miles in the rain. Anything in particular I should be doing to prevent rust, etc following a thorough soaking? I took the suggestion from another post about using a leaf blower to get everything as dry as possible and used some cleaner to get the grime off of the shinny bits of the bike, but anything else i should worry about?

Also, I'm pretty short and have to look through the windshield when riding (adjusted to lowest setting already). Add to that my full face helmet and I was trying to see through two plastic surfaces coated with water. Has anyone used rain-x or a similar product on their face shield or wind shield to help the water flow off when riding?

Thanks, this forum has been invaluable!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-15-2010, 07:22 AM
Lifetime Premium

NEVER use rainX on a bike windshield. It will cause crazing of the lexan. Depending on what your face shield is made of you can, but I would not risk it.
My wife is a little short for her windshield also, I found a product called S100 that I spray on(lots of shops give away small 1 ounce samples in a pump bottle) and lightly wip back off. I use Protect-All for the initial cleaning, then spray S100 on. It will sheet the water off better than anything else I have used so far. Been spraying this on only as necessary and 2 bottles have lasted me near a year so far. Worked great on her faceshield too. I'm tall enough my faceshield is in the wind if I sit up straight so I really don't need it.

'98 800a w/aluminum wheels/tubeless tires
Iron Butt Ass.#34911

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-15-2010, 04:32 PM

I use a leafblower on my bike and my car. After I wash my car or bike I take the leaf blower to it to dry it off, then I take a microfiber towel and wipe off as much as I can that might have been left behind.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-15-2010, 04:46 PM

Dear Rain,
I hate you!
Good bye,
Dale

09 Vulcan 900 classic, VROC #31898
I'm not afraid of heights but I hate gravity! ❦
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-15-2010, 09:07 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2017 Vaquero ABS
Displacement/CC's: 1700 cc
Color: Candy Cardinal Red
Garage
After seeing the responses to my recharge problem post I'll add something here. My electrical trouble seemed to start a couple days after I rode home in a steady downpour. During my testing of the electrical components I found the the regulator plug full of water. I'm wondering now if that could have triggered the alternator failure. If I ever get an answer from the 'professionals' I'll let you know.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-16-2010, 07:11 AM
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtipton View Post
Got caught out in a thunder storm .. Has anyone used rain-x or a similar product on their face shield or wind shield to help the water flow off when riding?

Thanks, this forum has been invaluable!!
lemon pledge will make the water bead straight off your visor or sheild

As i flipped into 5th, i couldnt remember a damn thing she said

2009 Classic LT Bagger ... SOLD .... ... Batwing Fairing, Metzler 200 rear, Mutazu Hard Bags, Denray Hitch, Mustang Seat, Piggybacker Trailer. traded on a Versys 650 LT ... Loaded

2010 Custom [I] ... traded on a 2015 Ninja 650 Abs traded on a 2016 Versys 650 LT ... Loaded
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-16-2010, 07:28 AM
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiting57 View Post
lemon pledge will make the water bead straight off your visor or sheild
regular plain pledge works equally as well. Lemon Pledge draws bees. As stupid as this sounds, it does. I used lemon pledge on the front of my Venture several times because it was all I had, I noticed the bees were swarming my bike when we stopped. Stopped using it and they stopped swarming me.
My wife has a Yellow riding jacket with black accent patches, they like her pretty well now too

'98 800a w/aluminum wheels/tubeless tires
Iron Butt Ass.#34911

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-17-2010, 08:19 AM
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Myers View Post
regular plain pledge works equally as well. Lemon Pledge draws bees. As stupid as this sounds, it does. I used lemon pledge on the front of my Venture several times because it was all I had, I noticed the bees were swarming my bike when we stopped. Stopped using it and they stopped swarming me.
My wife has a Yellow riding jacket with black accent patches, they like her pretty well now too
Never thought about that, great point, maybe they will leave me alone now.

As i flipped into 5th, i couldnt remember a damn thing she said

2009 Classic LT Bagger ... SOLD .... ... Batwing Fairing, Metzler 200 rear, Mutazu Hard Bags, Denray Hitch, Mustang Seat, Piggybacker Trailer. traded on a Versys 650 LT ... Loaded

2010 Custom [I] ... traded on a 2015 Ninja 650 Abs traded on a 2016 Versys 650 LT ... Loaded
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-17-2010, 09:24 AM

The only areas where I have problems with rust is the allen bolts that are not chromed. Seems water can sit in there and cause rust. After I dry them out, I hit a Q-tip with WD40 and swab the recesses.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode