Newbie advice required - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-12-2010, 09:25 AM Thread Starter

Newbie advice required

Hello all, yes another newbie.

I am just about to buy in to a second hand 900, before I do I am wondering if anyone can give me the con's about these bikes, I know the pro's but the only con's ive heard of so far are as follows,

Fuel gauge isnt reliable (no big deal)
Floor boards can drag when leaned on a little.
Passenger can get hot shoe from exhaust.

The bike I am looking at is a 2008 classic with 38000 Klms (about 23500 miles)one owner exceptionally well looked after bike, always garaged and looks new. It has sissy bar with rear luggage rack, passenger floor boards and trailer hitch, he has not towed with it much, has a small bike trailer for touring trips. Asking $8500, what do you think?

Any advice appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-12-2010, 10:59 AM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2013 Vulcan Nomad
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Blue/White
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightshift View Post
Hello all, yes another newbie.

I am just about to buy in to a second hand 900, before I do I am wondering if anyone can give me the con's about these bikes, I know the pro's but the only con's ive heard of so far are as follows,

Fuel gauge isnt reliable (no big deal)
Floor boards can drag when leaned on a little.
Passenger can get hot shoe from exhaust.

The bike I am looking at is a 2008 classic with 38000 Klms (about 23500 miles)one owner exceptionally well looked after bike, always garaged and looks new. It has sissy bar with rear luggage rack, passenger floor boards and trailer hitch, he has not towed with it much, has a small bike trailer for touring trips. Asking $8500, what do you think?

Any advice appreciated.
Nightshift,

I can only speak for myself, but I think he's asking for too much money. I bought my 2009 classic brand new for $7000 (U.S.) I have seen them advertised for as low as $6000.

Cons-Noisy-Lots of little clicks and whines.
- Doesn't like high speed travel (over 70 mph) A Scootworks pully will help with that. Speedo not accurate. The Scootworks pulley fixes that problem as well.

For what it's worth, I have never scraped a floorboard. There are tons of aftermarket parts available to make the bike unique. Good luck with your search.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-12-2010, 11:55 AM
Top Contributor

Is that price including the trailer? Even with the trailer it's too much money. No real cons except a 6th gear would be nice. I don't see floorboard scraping as a CON since all bikes have something that will scrap if you ride aggressive.

2007 Custom

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-12-2010, 12:22 PM
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baitis View Post
Is that price including the trailer? Even with the trailer it's too much money. No real cons except a 6th gear would be nice. I don't see floorboard scraping as a CON since all bikes have something that will scrap if you ride aggressive.
Sounds like to much money, i picked up my 09 custom with 900 miles for 5500 (cash) in Hawaii, where are you located?
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-12-2010, 06:19 PM Thread Starter

I'm located in Australia, Sunshine Coast Queensland to be exact.

I agree, his price is a bit steep but here they are more expensive than the US. Having said that in looking around I can find quite a few for sale here for the same price with less than 10,000 klms on the clock, the upside is that it has the extra's, bags, sissy bar and rack, passenger boards and tow bar. It is also immaculate, he appears to be a fastidious owner. I guess I could offer him $7.5K and see what he says?

Thanks for the info.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-12-2010, 06:47 PM

Garage
I think that it is too much cash...here in Calgary you can get new 2008 classic right now for $ 6500 cdn without luggage rack. I haven't had issues with the floor boards but I've found you have to get used to the positive neutral finder when going from 1 to 2nd gear...make all your shifts firm ones. A 6 gear would be nice for long hauls... Also I'd be concerned about the trailor hitch as my owners manual advises against it. Also others might chime in but I think the stator issue can arise @ 23,000 miles and can be big bucks?

black vn900 classic

Last edited by 2chains; 08-12-2010 at 06:55 PM.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-12-2010, 11:24 PM
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightshift View Post
I'm located in Australia, Sunshine Coast Queensland to be exact.

I agree, his price is a bit steep but here they are more expensive than the US. Having said that in looking around I can find quite a few for sale here for the same price with less than 10,000 klms on the clock, the upside is that it has the extra's, bags, sissy bar and rack, passenger boards and tow bar. It is also immaculate, he appears to be a fastidious owner. I guess I could offer him $7.5K and see what he says?

Thanks for the info.
Well then go for it, its only money that stuff comes easy great bikes dont!
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-13-2010, 05:47 AM

Fellow Canadian here. The bike makes many noises which you will get used to. The fuel gauge is reliable just that it reads empty when in fact it has about 5 litres in it.
The speedometer is accurate in Kph. It is not accurate in Mph. Must be something in the conversion.
The price sounds a little high but should be negotiable. These bikes are a lot cheaper in the US.

Life is a journey, enjoy the ride.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-13-2010, 09:45 AM

He is asking way to much money. You can find a brand new bike for $1000 less than that. If he included the trailer, and had some extras, a bike with that many miles, maybe $6000 if not less. I wouldn't pay that much at all.

Now for cons, it does run at really high RPMs, but there are mods to take care of that, and that is really not a problem until you hit the interstate and wanna run and 80mph. I like the small back highways, so not really a problem for me most of the time.

Lots of little noises, nothing to really worry about, just the way the bike is...i put on some V&H pipes and I can't hear them anymore. The stock seat, if it is still stock is really uncomfortable. I invested in a Mustang touring seat soon after getting the bike home.

Overall, the pros outweight the cons, and there are ways to take care of all the cons....JUST DON't PAY THAT MUCH FOR IT.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-13-2010, 01:11 PM

Garage
Way too much money for the mileage and model. You can go to a Kawasaki dealer and purchase a new 2008 or 2009 for that. I got a brand new 2008 1500 classic for $6,999 about 3 months ago with a full one year warranty.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode