Vulcan Custom - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-10-2010, 10:14 PM Thread Starter

Vulcan Custom

I'm probably going to get some hell from some of the members.. but right now I ride a '96 Honda Shadow VT600C. It was my first bike I bought to learn how to ride and cheap enough that if I decided I didn't like riding I could sell it and not lose any money. Well... I can't stay off of it. Anytime the sun is shining I'm out on the road.

I'll keep this short. I decided to order new tires for my bike so I stopped by a Kawasaki dealership that friends have gone to and said nothing but good things about it. And there I saw it... a new 2009 Vulcan 900 Custom in burnt orange. I'm going to take it for a test drive on saturday, and what kills me is i just got my car paid off so I know I have the extra cash for the price I was given to pick up this bike and sell my shadow.

And the point of the thread: to everyone that has the 900 Custom... how do you like it? I've been reading reviews and watching movies all evening, but the best way to know is to ask the people that have one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-10-2010, 11:03 PM

i have an 07 900 custom for my first bike and have been loving it ever since. for the moment i wont trade her for nothing. its not the bike payment that kills you its the mods that your gonna start dong to it that drains the wallet.
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-10-2010, 11:10 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
I also have an 07 900 custom, my first bike. I love it. It starts to feel a little buzzy around 70 but for cruising the 900 custom is awesome.

-Vinny VROC #32287 - 2007 Vulcan 900 Custom, Ness Big Sucker, Fi2000R, Cobra 2-into-1

The things that may or may not be true are the things a man needs to believe in the most. People are good; honor, courage, virtue mean everything; power and money mean nothing; good always triumphs over evil; true love never dies. A man should believe in those things, because they are worth believing in.

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-10-2010, 11:16 PM Thread Starter

Lol... I'm not new to modding... I have an 01 Tacoma on 31's and an 07 civic si with about 8 grand bolted into/onto it.

The only thing I find weird is the 80mm width front tire. I have a 100mm front tire on my shadow.. And I know 20mm makes a noticible difference. I've ran 215's then upgraded to 235's on my car and the handling was amazing. I assume I could relate that to bikes as well. But since I'm semi new to the bike scene I just want to make sure. I'm sure if it wasn't safe they wouldn't be selling them.
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-11-2010, 12:58 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to comer341
I have an burnt orange 09 Custom and love it! I like it so much I really don't have any real mods in mid for it. I'm not new to bikes or modding, I'm just satisfied with the off the show room look and performance. This may change down the road, but for now I'm just cruising around with a big smile of satisfaction.
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-11-2010, 05:32 AM
Top Contributor

The 80 front tire is not a problem and a 90 will fit. Except for needing a sixth gear which several bikes lack the 900 is reliable and a good all-around bike.

2007 Custom
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-11-2010, 06:09 AM
Top Contributor

Garage
'08 Candy Lime Green Custom here...

love it! had an '09 Classic before then after it got totaled and i received payment for it, i put it all down on this one and couldn't be happier. the "feel" of the Custom is nicer for cruising around but the Classic was great for touring.

the only specific gripe i have for this bike is pulling into parking lots with the skinny front tire... alot of the lots have raised curbs even on the apron and if you turn too tight into them, you'll smack the rim!?!?! gotta take the extra little effort to come as straight on as possible when entering. unfortunately, i didn't see the high lip pulling into a WaWa one time and heard & felt the rim hit... now i have a constant reminder to look out for them!!!

great bike... wouldn't trade for anything but i will be getting a larger cc bike and one made for touring for longer rides later!

'02 Drifter 1500
... just an awesome ride!

'08 Custom-ized
Candy Lime Green
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-11-2010, 07:23 AM
Lifetime Premium

My '10 Custom SE will never replace my VTX1800C for riding comfort on long rides nor will it replace my CB750 Night Hawk for hard rides on narrow mountain roads. Having said that, I'm delighted with the bike for short trips and rides around town. It was the style that sold me and the price. I've put another 2 grand into the bike and get nothing but raves from my fellow bikers as well as total strangers. However, if someone offered me a good price for it, I'd sell it in a heartbeat. JMHO
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-11-2010, 07:54 AM

I traded in my 1997 Honda Magna 750 in for my Kawi 900 Vulcan Custom SE back in May after being on nothing but Hondas for 32 years. Honda just didn't come out with anything I liked that was in my price range this year. The Suzi M90 I test rode made me feel like I was riding a tractor, with that stretched out position and 725 pounds to deal with. My new bike does not have quite the power as my Magna and I spent a lot of time worrying about that aspect. Then I rode the Custom 900. Wow. What a fun bike to ride and my body adapted to it like I had been riding it for years. It was so comfortable (once my feet learned where they were supposed to be).

Going from the Shadow to the Vulcan is a great choice, in my opinion.
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-11-2010, 08:25 AM
Top Contributor

Answering this question is easy...

12k miles (so far), and not a single mile of regret. 1-up, 2-up, city or highway...

Get it, you'll *LOVE* it!

BACA Pretzel - Flyin' the highways in OK!
'08 Vulcan 1600 Nomad - "Grace"
Metallic Diablo Black/Candy Fire Red
LED Run/Turn/Brake
Vance and Hines Duals
Dobeck TFI
Kuryakyn Flame grips with Throttle Boss and Stiletto endcaps
Kuryakyn Longhorn offset highway pegs
Vista throttle lock
OEM light bar and luggage rack

B.A.C.A. Member, Oklahoma Chapter

Out to pasture - 2008 Vulcan 900 Custom: Redemption
Sponsored Links