Ringing sound at 40 to 50 mph? - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-09-2010, 06:25 PM Thread Starter

Ringing sound at 40 to 50 mph?

I've noticed a ringing sound that starts to develop at 40mph, is present between 42 and 48mph, then just fades as 50mph hits. This is a '08 900 Custom, 3500 miles.

It's not the ticking (which it also has, but is apparently normal, as per the other thread on the board), and it's not what I would describe as a whine (which apparently is also normal)...but is a metal-on-metal ringing sound. It's not rhythmic or pulsing...it's a constant ring. It's not loud; however, I can hear it above the drone of the bike. I can't seem to isolate where it's coming from, though.

Interestingly, it's present in both fourth and fifth gear at that aforementioned speed, so it doesn't appear to be gear-related. Odd, though, that it's isolated to that mph parameter.

Any thoughts? Another interesting noise that's just organic to the Vulcan, or is it something I should be concerned about?

( Used to have: )
'08 Vulcan 900 Custom:
*Passion Red *Mustang One-Piece Vintage Seat
*Hard-Krome 2.5" Strippers with Smartpartz Hard Kore Baffles
*Cobra Short Sissybar, Pad & Insert *Leatherworks 312 Chopper Bag *Small/Med. Windshield

Last edited by at-home-daddy; 08-09-2010 at 06:53 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-09-2010, 09:06 PM
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by at-home-daddy View Post
I've noticed a ringing sound that starts to develop at 40mph, is present between 42 and 48mph, then just fades as 50mph hits. This is a '08 900 Custom, 3500 miles.

It's not the ticking (which it also has, but is apparently normal, as per the other thread on the board), and it's not what I would describe as a whine (which apparently is also normal)...but is a metal-on-metal ringing sound. It's not rhythmic or pulsing...it's a constant ring. It's not loud; however, I can hear it above the drone of the bike. I can't seem to isolate where it's coming from, though.

Interestingly, it's present in both fourth and fifth gear at that aforementioned speed, so it doesn't appear to be gear-related. Odd, though, that it's isolated to that mph parameter.

Any thoughts? Another interesting noise that's just organic to the Vulcan, or is it something I should be concerned about?
Answer your phone and let them know not to call until you have reached 50 plus ...

I had the same thing, thought it was the finish on the front brake rotor cleaning off what looks to be paint or some metal finish over lapping the caliper "grabbing" area .... after around 500 miles its was gone, i have not had the issue since and now have 7000 plus miles on it.

Other than that, cant help you ... cheers Maurice

As i flipped into 5th, i couldnt remember a damn thing she said
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2009 Classic LT Bagger ... SOLD .... ... Batwing Fairing, Metzler 200 rear, Mutazu Hard Bags, Denray Hitch, Mustang Seat, Piggybacker Trailer. traded on a Versys 650 LT ... Loaded

2010 Custom [I] ... traded on a 2015 Ninja 650 Abs traded on a 2016 Versys 650 LT ... Loaded
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-09-2010, 09:27 PM

Sounds like the drive belt to me.

2007 VN900LT, red/titanium
OEM highway bars and luggage rack
OEM WS lowers
4.5 inch pull back risers
Kuryakin highway pegs
Stebel air horn
Utopia driver backrest on OEM seat
OEM gel seat for about town, and hauling grandkids
ISO grips
Jardine light bar
K&N air filter
Brakeaway cruise control

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-09-2010, 10:51 PM

I've got the same ringing at 60mph from time to time. If its hot outside you cant hear it, if its cold, you can..... give or take 5 mph and the noise is gone.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-10-2010, 10:15 AM Thread Starter

Interesting. I haven't noticed that temperature makes any difference with mine, though...I just bought mine a few months ago, so it's all been summer riding. 'Course, it hasn't been all warm riding, but I wouldn't call any of it cold, either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbwarner View Post
Sounds like the drive belt to me.
Would that result in a metal-on-metal ringing, though?

'08 Vulcan 900 Custom:
*Cobra Short Sissybar, Pad & Insert *Leatherworks 312 Chopper Bag *Small/Med. Windshield
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-11-2010, 07:57 AM

I had a metal on metal sound that turned out to be the washer on the front drive shaft rattling at higher speeds and on hot days. The front pulley nut came loose. Easy to check by removing the two side covers to expose the pulley.

John
2007 900 Custom
Plasma Blue
Oxford, MI
VROC 25948
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-11-2010, 10:17 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluecruiser View Post
I had a metal on metal sound that turned out to be the washer on the front drive shaft rattling at higher speeds and on hot days. The front pulley nut came loose. Easy to check by removing the two side covers to expose the pulley.
I'm afraid I'm less mechanically inclined than most, so not sure what I'll be looking at (pulley?) when I pull the side covers, but I'll gave that a shot and see if anything looks loose underneath. Thanks for the tip.

'08 Vulcan 900 Custom:
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-11-2010, 01:34 PM

You just need one Allen wrench to check. Pull off the large chrome plastic cover first then the black cover over the front belt pulley. The cover should be dry inside. If it checks out dry and tight, you can start looking in other locations. Mine came loose on a stock setup (no Scootworks pulley)

John
2007 900 Custom
Plasma Blue
Oxford, MI
VROC 25948
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-13-2010, 01:48 PM Thread Starter

Good news, bad news: good news is everything looks, as near as I can tell, fine under the side plates. Bad news is the mystery still remains.

'08 Vulcan 900 Custom:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode