Another K&N Question: VN 900? - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-09-2010, 05:20 PM Thread Starter

Another K&N Question: VN 900?

Still no air filter for my stock Classic LT air box.

Maybe, as a suggestion, everybody go to their website and put in another request for one.

It has been several years now and I would guess a lot more 900's out on the road. There is the demand--where's the supply K&N?

MY BEAUTY ** 2008 900 CLASSIC LT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-09-2010, 05:45 PM

Garage
I just made my own today. Old filter, stock frame and dremel tool. Not sure K&N has not made one, but I'm guessing it has to do with our filter only fits this bike and no others. If Kawasaki would use the same filter across multiple different bikes, maybe we would see a change.

'08 VULCAN 900 Custom
GenMar Risers
Mustang 2 Up Seat / Mustang Tank Cover
Cobra Back Rest w/ Plate
Cobra Luggage Rack
Willie & Max Revolution Bags
Memphis Shades Windshield
Kuryakyn Iso Grips w/ Throttle Boss
Smoked Signals
Dually Rear Pegs
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-09-2010, 08:36 PM
Top Contributor

I can save you sme trouble and expense. I did a K&N modification with a leftover flat K&N filter from another vehicle. The benefit was minimal at best. This was exspecially noticable after my recent change to an A.L. Big Sucker. If you do do a K&N, you should look at ways to help increase the air flow into the air box to get any real benefit. With the stock box, the flow is not that great and it's drawn into the carb around the cylinder heads which I'm sure heats it up some. I can also say there are three chances K&N will make a filter for the 900: slim, fat and none!!! I had a corespondence exchange with them last year concerning this issue. They even said there's not much the K&N can do to improve the air flow of the 900.....sorry!!!

Mark...Rollingbones
2011 Harley Road King FLHR
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2008 Vulcan 900 Classic (Sold)
American Legion Riders Post 383
Patriot Guard Riders
Sacramento Metro Fire CERT
West Fair Oaks Neighborhood Watch

Last edited by Rollingbones; 08-09-2010 at 08:38 PM.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-10-2010, 09:05 AM

Garage
As far as performance goes, I not interested in going any faster than I go now. I would like to see a few more mpg and maybe a little more 5th gear pull when 2 up.

Roling, how much different was it when you went to the Big Sucker? I have opened the air box up and seen a difference then.

'08 VULCAN 900 Custom
GenMar Risers
Mustang 2 Up Seat / Mustang Tank Cover
Cobra Back Rest w/ Plate
Cobra Luggage Rack
Willie & Max Revolution Bags
Memphis Shades Windshield
Kuryakyn Iso Grips w/ Throttle Boss
Smoked Signals
Dually Rear Pegs
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-10-2010, 12:29 PM
Top Contributor

Shoot, I don't care if I get more power. I just want to stop spending $35 every oil change for a new filter. But everyone says even if I just fab one out of an old K&N or something, that I still have to use a FI controller. If I could make the stock one washable, I'd be happy.

Out of curiosity, what flat K&N filter did you use Rollingbones?

'07 VN900 Classic
Horsepower is an illusion.
Torque is the source of all good things.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-11-2010, 05:11 PM
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamsunbelt View Post
As far as performance goes, I not interested in going any faster than I go now. I would like to see a few more mpg and maybe a little more 5th gear pull when 2 up.

Rolling, how much different was it when you went to the Big Sucker? I have opened the air box up and seen a difference then.
The Big Sucker made a dramatic differance. I also had opened up my air box simular to Baitis. I imagine most any high volume air intake will make a significant differance. No matter what speed or what RPM I'm at, when I give it more juice, I get more juice. The motor itself runs much smoother. I have no idea why, but it also got rid of the notorious VN900 engine ticing. I do still get a little bit of popping on powered deceleration. I'm also running Cobra 2 into 1 Power Pro pipes (baffled to tone down the volume) and the Cobra fuel manager. The big bonus is the sound is great!!!

Mark...Rollingbones
2011 Harley Road King FLHR
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2008 Vulcan 900 Classic (Sold)
American Legion Riders Post 383
Patriot Guard Riders
Sacramento Metro Fire CERT
West Fair Oaks Neighborhood Watch
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode