Air in, Air out! - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-09-2010, 03:33 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Air in, Air out!

I took my bike to the shop last week for an inspection and new rear tire. Me and the write up guys discussed a few things. He was a fan of a debaffle, one for the sound and also for opening up the exhaust. I showed him the intake mod, and he said that it was a great idea, giving more air to the engine. I told him I wanted to get a BAK, but he said that it was a waste. If I could get a K&N for the 900, I would get just as much air in. He said that you could only get soo much air through the throttle body intake.

I cured that problem today, and made myself a K&N filter, stock frame and old K&N that I had lying around. $5.49 for a pack of JB Kwik set. Brave being that I did not have another filter close. Dremel tool and time. I am going to marble the air hoses as soon as I fined a marble or two.

I have one question. For those of you that have made this type of mod, how much difference do you see with a fuel controller? Not on paper, but real life, on the road difference.

'08 VULCAN 900 Custom
GenMar Risers
Mustang 2 Up Seat / Mustang Tank Cover
Cobra Back Rest w/ Plate
Cobra Luggage Rack
Willie & Max Revolution Bags
Memphis Shades Windshield
Kuryakyn Iso Grips w/ Throttle Boss
Smoked Signals
Dually Rear Pegs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-09-2010, 04:38 PM

I'm not sure why the guy at the bike shop would tell you that it was a waste of time getting the BAK. The BAK and the Arlen Ness Big Sucker both use a K&N filter and the difference in performance on my bike was dramatic. The air inlet on the stock intake is tiny and at the back of the unit near the hot heads.

I'm interested to hear how you're home made mod increases the performance. If it works it would be nice to know as a "Low Buck" modification for other riders.

As far as the fuel management system is concerned it made a nominal difference in performance (mostly because it wasn't running with the factory lean setup). The biggest advantage to the fsm is the ability to add or take away fuel through out the power band. I was able to adjust mine until I got rid of most of the annoying exhaust pop.

Also, good luck finding a marble. I searched every toy store, Wal-Mart etc. in my area with no luck. I ended up taking the hose off and bringing it to an industrial supply store and fitting a ball bearing. I guess kids don't play with marbles anymore.

Let us know how your mod worked.

Happy riding.

07 Vulcan 900 Custom
Arlen Ness Big Sucker Intake
Power Commander III
BC Billet Mirrors
BC Chrome Grips
Cobra Speedster Slashdowns
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-09-2010, 09:09 PM

I gotta ask ...I've read other threads that mention "marbleing" ...

Where are you putting this marble and what benefit does it provide??? It's not intuitively obvious to me why we would do that. Obviously it's meant to block something but ....what???

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-10-2010, 05:51 AM
Top Contributor

Low buck air flow: Measure the air inlet and transfer it to the area under the idle screw. I used a Rotozip to cut the hole. Use the existing rubber to finish it off. Block off the OE hole with a piece of aluminum (I used an old gutter) and two pop rivets.

2007 Custom

Last edited by 1945; 08-10-2010 at 05:53 AM.
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-10-2010, 06:00 AM

Interesting mods. Gives me something to think about.
I found marbles at the Dollar Store.

Life is a journey, enjoy the ride.
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-10-2010, 09:19 AM

FWIW...
I haven't done this yet (don't need to on a stock bike ) But I've been told by the "old school" guys that you can use a wire nut if you can't find the right sized marble....

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who do not."
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-10-2010, 10:14 AM
Top Contributor

I originally used a wire nut versus marble; I couldn't afford to lose any more of my marbles. I've since taken an alternate route. I got 6-5/8" Bypass Caps (about $2) from the local auto store and removed all of the hose plumbing from the airbox, air switch and the cylinder heads. Since the air switch uses the hoses to keep it on its mount a short piece of vacuum line on the mount stops the switch from sliding off. Don'y disconnect the electrical connector or you get a fault.

2007 Custom
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-10-2010, 10:29 AM
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baitis View Post
Low buck air flow: Measure the air inlet and transfer it to the area under the idle screw. I used a Rotozip to cut the hole. Use the existing rubber to finish it off. Block off the OE hole with a piece of aluminum (I used an old gutter) and two pop rivets.

I have always loved your HD cover, never could find one.....anyways, awesome mod. I think I'll do it over the winter months. How does it get any air in the present location btw? (behind the air cover).

2009 VN900 Classic LT.
Nova Scotia, Canada.
Cobra luggage rack.
Kuryakyn Grand Tourer luggage bag.
Kuryakyn air filter cover.
170/80/15 Metzler rear tire.
Fire and Ice passenger floorboards.
Stage 2 debaffle (screens left intact).
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-10-2010, 03:30 PM
Top Contributor

Evidently the slotted cover was only made from 2004-2007, I ordered mine late 2008. I checked some HD sites and I think the last one was found hanging on a shop wall in Kentucky.

Air comes in through the relocated rubber snorkel under the idle adjuster. At one time I wanted to compare air temps at the filter using the OEM inlet location and the new location. Decided to permanently close off the OE inlet while I had it apart. I still want to compare ambient temps to temps at the filter media but never get around to it. No matter what, force feeding air into the box has to be better than sucking air from between the cylinders. The HD cover has a black dish behind the chrome cover to make it look functional - all show, no go. The dish actually has the stud that bolts to the OE cover and the chrome piece screws to the dish.

2007 Custom

Last edited by 1945; 08-10-2010 at 03:41 PM.
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-11-2010, 05:02 PM
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamsunbelt View Post
I took my bike to the shop last week for an inspection and new rear tire. Me and the write up guys discussed a few things. He was a fan of a debaffle, one for the sound and also for opening up the exhaust. I showed him the intake mod, and he said that it was a great idea, giving more air to the engine. I told him I wanted to get a BAK, but he said that it was a waste. If I could get a K&N for the 900, I would get just as much air in. He said that you could only get soo much air through the throttle body intake.
I cured that problem today, and made myself a K&N filter, stock frame and old K&N that I had lying around. $5.49 for a pack of JB Kwik set. Brave being that I did not have another filter close. Dremel tool and time. I am going to marble the air hoses as soon as I fined a marble or two.

I have one question. For those of you that have made this type of mod, how much difference do you see with a fuel controller? Not on paper, but real life, on the road difference.
I hate to pop the inspector's bubble, but that's a load of bovine fecal matter!!! I did the K&N mod that you described and ran it for a year. I also opened up a space on the front of the air box to help with more air (simular to Mr. Baitis). About two weeks ago I installed an Arlen Ness Big Sucker. Dude, no comparison what so ever. The differance really impressed me!!! No matter what speed or RPM I'm running, when I hit the throttle, I get more juice than before. It's a whole different bike. I agree the K&N is better than stock, but even K&N recognizes the differance is mnimal. This is a big reason why they don't make a filter for the 900 (I've had this discussion with them). In time you'll want to look into a better air intake if you want more juice in your ride. you only need ask yourself one question... "Do I impressively feel the differance?" I thought I did when I did the K&N, but after the Big Sucker.... (((BTW, I run K&N in my Malibu and Silverado and really like the filters for that application.)))) Lastly, if you increase air in, you'll deffinately want to increase air out. That's when it gets really sweet.

Mark...Rollingbones
2011 Harley Road King FLHR
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2008 Vulcan 900 Classic (Sold)
American Legion Riders Post 383
Patriot Guard Riders
Sacramento Metro Fire CERT
West Fair Oaks Neighborhood Watch

Last edited by Rollingbones; 08-11-2010 at 05:05 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode