VN900C new owner questions - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-09-2010, 06:02 AM Thread Starter

VN900C new owner questions

Hey there,

I just got my new 2009 Vulcan Custom back from Jersey and I have a couple of questions for you vets...if you don't mind.

My bike is a new 2009 with one mile. If I read the VIN right, it was made in June of '09. That means the oil and filter are about 15 months old. Should I change the filter at least? Possible degradation from sitting on the showroom floor for that long without normal running?

And is the "gear winding noise" in 1st and 2nd gears normal for a new bike? It seems a bit louder than it should.

Thanks guys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-09-2010, 06:40 AM

I can't answer your second question, but at my dealership, none of the bikes have any fluids in them for this very reason. When you purchase the bike, they get their first oil, etc.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-09-2010, 06:58 AM

Garage
Agree with Sarge. No fluids in the bike while on the floor. They should have field everything up after you bought it. As far as the gears, are you hearing the belt noise? Not sure if the gears whine or not. There are allot of noises from the 900, most are normal.

'08 VULCAN 900 Custom
GenMar Risers
Mustang 2 Up Seat / Mustang Tank Cover
Cobra Back Rest w/ Plate
Cobra Luggage Rack
Willie & Max Revolution Bags
Memphis Shades Windshield
Kuryakyn Iso Grips w/ Throttle Boss
Smoked Signals
Dually Rear Pegs

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-09-2010, 09:06 AM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2013 Vulcan Nomad
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Blue/White
Quote:
Originally Posted by smcdk9 View Post
Hey there,

I just got my new 2009 Vulcan Custom back from Jersey and I have a couple of questions for you vets...if you don't mind.

My bike is a new 2009 with one mile. If I read the VIN right, it was made in June of '09. That means the oil and filter are about 15 months old. Should I change the filter at least? Possible degradation from sitting on the showroom floor for that long without normal running?

And is the "gear winding noise" in 1st and 2nd gears normal for a new bike? It seems a bit louder than it should.

Thanks guys
The 900 makes all kinds of noise, except for a deep rumble from the exhaust
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-09-2010, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamsunbelt View Post
Agree with Sarge. No fluids in the bike while on the floor. They should have field everything up after you bought it. As far as the gears, are you hearing the belt noise? Not sure if the gears whine or not. There are allot of noises from the 900, most are normal.
I'm hearing belt noise....at least i think it is the belt. It's sort of a (wha wha wha noise when i hold in the clutch and Glide) This is normal I assume, but i also like to get the assurance of others about issues like this.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-09-2010, 11:14 AM
Top Contributor

Bikes usually don't sit on the showroom floor iwth fluids because of fire codes. Even if it did the showroom is usually a stable environment so I wouldn't worry about the oil. The noise, the 900 has many, is probably just the belt and sprockets getting to know each other. Check the belt tension since too tight will also whine a bit.

2007 Custom
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-09-2010, 12:43 PM

+1 on the oil/filter.
They'll be fine even if it takes you a while to get to 600 miles.
Even if they were put in, there should be no degradation in fluids from sitting on the floor for those months - especially indoors, except maybe from the gas, and even that's somewhat overblown. Gas tends to stay "fresh" for longer than you may think when not exposed to air, anywhere from a couple of months to a couple of years.
Back in the Mesozoic Era, when carbureted beasts roamed the streets, they used decidedly less sealed fuel systems than our (* cough!) more modern FI V-Twins. Fuel sloshing around in carburetor bowls would evaporate somewhat leaving a poorer combustible remnant - or nothing but "varnish" in extreme cases!
MC operators tend to be a worrying bunch though, which is good for the fuel additive manufacturers, and the purveyors of designer oil blends and filters, and the 100 or so other "special" cleaning products out there!

EDIT: +1 on the noise too. There's 2 time tested ways to diminish the valve ticks, belt whine, and other engine noises:
1. Park the bike.
2. Debaffle or replace your exhaust.
(in other words, don't worry about that either - it's normal (*cough!) for a VN900, that is!!!)
Enjoy that new bike!:

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who do not."

Last edited by ETC(SS); 08-09-2010 at 12:50 PM.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-09-2010, 07:51 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys

I do appreciate the heads up. I'm a new rider and this is a new bike...so yeah, it's all new to me.

And I'm also a bit compulsive when I get something in my head. I contacted the dealer, and he said the bike came with a little oil from the factory. And at some point they topped it off. So, 1 liter from Feb '09...plus 2 liters from a few months later....and an old stale filter.

So, to be on the safe side a changed the oil according to OEM specs and did it by the numbers from the manual (and filling the new filter with oil before replacing) and it does seem to run a quite a bit better.

Now if I can just get rid of the belt and gear whine...I know, I know, it's a motorcycle, not a ten speed!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-10-2010, 06:11 AM
Top Contributor

If the belt is whining and not sqealing give it a few miles and see if the pulleys quiet down a bit; otherwise, adjust the pulley again. The belt likes to right just off the outside edge of the rear pulley to be quiet.

2007 Custom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode