Keeping it clean - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-08-2010, 11:45 AM Thread Starter

Keeping it clean

So I stand before my 900c and upon closer examination, I am confronted by a variety of surfaces. The midnight blue paint job, chrome, plastic, vinyl. So what products do I need to keep in my arsenal?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-08-2010, 11:49 AM
Top Contributor

Micro fibre cloth and pledge, thats all

Screw it! Lets Ride
'08' 900 Custom

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-08-2010, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Kerr View Post
Micro fibre cloth and pledge, thats all
Very true....UNLESS... you're one of those of us who are not blessed with a nice, comfy garage to keep your scoot in. Also, if you live in an area where "30-percent chance of afternoon thunderstorms" means that there's a 100-percent chance that you'll have to ride in the rain - then you might have to add some more rounds to your bandolier.

Get some CLP. I'm in the "rinse, ride and rinse" fold, since I live in an area that's both dusty and damp, so I also use plain-old "Blue Coral" car wash, some good quality sponges and brushes, some MC only towels, a good quality wax (your choice), Windex for chrome and glass, Never-Dull, for other metal bits, and a leaf-blower to dewater the bike after a rinse.

I'll never have show-bikes. BUT if you take care to clean contaminants off your bike, blow it dry (as you can) and SPARINGLY use CLP on the metal bits that tend to attract rust, then you'll keep your bike in the 95+ percentile of the "bling" scale. My HD has been under a carport (and some blankets) for its 6-year life, and I'm always complemented upon (unjustly) for its "new" appearance. I have a good snug fitting MC cover, but I've found that blankets work better in high humidity environs, since covers that keep moisture OUT can also keep it IN.

You'll get 10,000 opinions on the "best" way to take care of your scoot - but in the end you're going to have to determine how that works out for YOU.
One of the reasons I bought the VN900 was for a "commuting" bike - so keeping it out of the elements all the time just isn't practical---FOR ME.

Good Luck!
Ride Well!!

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who do not."

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-08-2010, 04:33 PM Thread Starter

Pledge????? Really? wow.....It never occurred to me to pledge my bike!

Oh...and what is CLP?

Thanks!
Lee
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-08-2010, 05:47 PM

From the "rust" thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenDawg View Post
For the components that aren't shiny, I would use crocus cloth or a copper toothed wire brush and CLP (Cleaner, Lubricant, Preservative). CLP is used by the U.S. Army for cleaning and maintaining weapons. It contains teflon which when dry, forms a thin protective coating. I used this method to maintain AH1F, AH-64 and AH-64D attack helicopter weapon systems for over two decades. (Not to mention my M-9, M16, M4, M60 and the big M2) The rust will not come off easy but a good portion of it will. Do not try this with anything you want to shine. For that, follow the previous suggestions. You can get CLP from anywhere that sells firearms.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-08-2010, 06:52 PM

I use gattor goo and micro fibber towle. works on paint, chrome, windshield, plastic, and seats with no left over residue to make you slip and slide.

Live to ride and keep it safe
Robert

2011 Victory Vision pearl white/ Pearl the White Lady
1999 VN800b4 classic
Mods
1 kury iso flame grips
2 cobra slash pipes
3 cobra floor boards
4 MS fats windscreen
5 kury iso highway peggs
6 kawi light bar
7 kury mirrors
8 kury swingwing pass peggs
9 sissybar with pass back rest and rack
10old leather saddle bags
11 hard chrome volt meter
12 mustang solo seat with back rest

Last edited by RHKman; 08-08-2010 at 06:56 PM. Reason: needed to add more
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-08-2010, 08:37 PM
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacWolf View Post
Pledge????? Really? wow.....It never occurred to me to pledge my bike!
You can use it on every surface, i learned about it from a custom car guy, he used it on his show cars.

Screw it! Lets Ride
'08' 900 Custom

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-08-2010, 08:37 PM

In between washes I use Mothers Showtime instant detailer and a microfiber towel on the entire bike. It's great stuff. I also use Meguiars PlastX cleaner/polish on my windshield.

Back in the saddle again!

2009 VN 900 Classic - Red
MS Fats windscreen
Cobra backrest
Fieldsheer Saddlebags
ISO Grips
Kury Hiway pegs
Shark Audio
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-09-2010, 02:08 AM
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Kerr View Post
You can use it on every surface, i learned about it from a custom car guy, he used it on his show cars.
make sure you use the Lemon type, that way if you cant shower the bike will still smell nice LOL

other than pledge i also use Honda detailing spray .... good for everything

I have never "washed my bike"

As i flipped into 5th, i couldnt remember a damn thing she said

2009 Classic LT Bagger ... SOLD .... ... Batwing Fairing, Metzler 200 rear, Mutazu Hard Bags, Denray Hitch, Mustang Seat, Piggybacker Trailer. traded on a Versys 650 LT ... Loaded

2010 Custom [I] ... traded on a 2015 Ninja 650 Abs traded on a 2016 Versys 650 LT ... Loaded

Last edited by whiting57; 08-09-2010 at 02:10 AM.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-09-2010, 05:02 AM

Garage
I've been using this S100 detailing wax. Works great, goes everywhere, no harsh chemicals.

'09 900LT
—Mustang Wide Studded Touring Seat
—Metz ME 880s
—Irons In The Fire lowers
—Küry Iso Grips w/Throttle Boss
...and a bunch of other little stuff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode