Bent steering rod - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-07-2010, 11:19 PM Thread Starter

Bent steering rod

Been riding my 2010 custom se for 5 months now but I had a little accident the other day. Going on a turn the back tire slipped on some gravel. In an attempt to control the bike I lost control and fell off I am fine but there is a little damage to the bike. The headlight needs some repair which I can do. The steering rod seems a bit bent such that my right hand is a little closer to me than the left. Also some minor abrasion on the gas tank paint.

Doi need a new steering rod? Or can I have someone bend it back to shape?
Anything for the paint to touchup?
Since I am changing the headlight should do xenon or LED?

Last edited by Magoo; 08-08-2010 at 04:54 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-08-2010, 03:29 AM
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magoo View Post
Been riding my 2010 custom se for 5 months now but I had a little accident the other day. Going on a turn the back tire slipped on some gravel. In an attempt to control the bike I lost control and fell off I am fine but there is a little damage to the bike. The headlight needs some repair which I can do. The steering rod seems a bit bent such that my right hand is a little closer to methane the left. Also some minor abrasion on the gas tank paint.

Doi need a new steering rod? Or can I have someone bend it back to shape?
Anything for the paint to touchup?
Since I am changing the headlight should do xenon or LED?
First, there's nothing wrong with your steering stem (rod). What has probably happened is the forks are twisted a little. Either you or a mechanic needs to loosen the lower triple tree pinch bolts (don't touch the top triple tree) and holding the tire between your legs, straighten the handlebar. Torque the pinch bolts to 25 ft/lb and you're good to go.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-10-2010, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourner View Post
First, there's nothing wrong with your steering stem (rod). What has probably happened is the forks are twisted a little. Either you or a mechanic needs to loosen the lower triple tree pinch bolts (don't touch the top triple tree) and holding the tire between your legs, straighten the handlebar. Torque the pinch bolts to 25 ft/lb and you're good to go.
Why not? I've adjusted mine three times now and have no ill results.....just wondering thats all

07 VN2000 VROC #33496

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-10-2010, 07:37 AM
Lifetime Premium

Sounds like the handlebars is bent. Did it hit? That is the bar that has all your controls and you steer with. If so just replace it.

Last edited by ashtavakra; 08-10-2010 at 07:44 AM.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-10-2010, 08:26 AM
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddster View Post
Why not? I've adjusted mine three times now and have no ill results.....just wondering thats all
Up to you, I was only warning him not to loosen both the upper and lower pinch bolts or he's in for a big surprise.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-10-2010, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourner View Post
Up to you, I was only warning him not to loosen both the upper and lower pinch bolts or he's in for a big surprise.
Sorry, but I'm still lost at what your trying to imply.....

I've done this and had no surprise of any kind. Could you please just come out and explain what surprise your talking about?

What am I missing here?.....

Thanks!

Your going to help future members who come to this thread so please be specific.

07 VN2000 VROC #33496
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-10-2010, 11:32 PM
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddster View Post
Sorry, but I'm still lost at what your trying to imply.....

I've done this and had no surprise of any kind. Could you please just come out and explain what surprise your talking about?

What am I missing here?.....

Thanks!

Your going to help future members who come to this thread so please be specific.
If you loosen the pinch bolts on the upper and lower triple trees at the same time, and the bike is on the ground, the weight of the bike will cause the triple trees to slide down on the fork tubes. If the bike is on a stand, and the front wheel is off the ground, then the fork tubes will slide down and out of the upper triple tree due to the weight of the front suspension.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-10-2010, 11:41 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys. But it doesn't look like the forks are twisted. When I look at the fork from the front it looks even with respect to the tire. When I look down on the wheel when sitting, it looks like the handlebar is not even. I might be able to take a couple pics if it helps.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-11-2010, 12:12 AM
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Thanks guys. But it doesn't look like the forks are twisted. When I look at the fork from the front it looks even with respect to the tire. When I look down on the wheel when sitting, it looks like the handlebar is not even. I might be able to take a couple pics if it helps.
The forks will not look twisted to the naked eye. The forks are still straight most likely. The misalignment is between the upper and lower triple trees IMHO. At least that's where I would start.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-11-2010, 07:33 AM
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Try measuring the handlebar first. Find the point that is in the center of the handlebar. That will be between the two riser caps, that is where the handlebar is connected, mark it with a grease pencil or tape.

Then take a measuring tape and from that point measure it to the inside edge of the handlebar grip. They should be about the same(The throttle side will always be a few MM longer). It may be easier doing this sitting on the bike upright, but it doesn't matter.

If this measurement (the handlebar) is ok then this job is probably best left to a professional.

I measured mine it's an LT stock, about 21-1/2" both sides.

Last edited by ashtavakra; 08-11-2010 at 08:08 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode