Do I Really Have To Change My Oil Every Year? - Page 2 - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-04-2017, 06:56 AM

I chane my oil every spring and then in another 3000 miles probably in august.Cheap piece of mind.As long as we are talking mileage,I have 340,000 on my 08 GMC Sierra.Miles not kilometers.Still goes great,burns about a quart of oil every 1500 miles.Everything still is nice and tight on it,drives like my son in laws 2012.Still gets about 19 miles a gallon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-04-2017, 08:59 AM

Burning a qt in 1500 sounds like you're adding too much oil & blowing it out thru your motor. I change 10w 40 in my '12 Nomad every 5k, about twice a year as I ride daily all year. Full synthetic. Good idea to read the manual on how to check oil. Warm up & level first.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-04-2017, 09:09 AM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2010 NOMAD
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Black/titanium
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by warrbucks View Post
Burning a qt in 1500 sounds like you're adding too much oil & blowing it out thru your motor. I change 10w 40 in my '12 Nomad every 5k, about twice a year as I ride daily all year. Full synthetic. Good idea to read the manual on how to check oil. Warm up & level first.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Think 4b316 was talkn about his gmc,340k wow impressive,had 170k on my sierra when frame broke,ny for ya,,,,thought this was a bike forum

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 06:19 PM

Year/Make/Model: 2005 vulcan 2000
Displacement/CC's: 2000
Color: Blue
Ford taurus 285000 miles barely changed oil, started up every day, ran a bit bit rough near the end but got the job done, had to get rid of it because the floor was rusting out and it needed a heater core. Oh wait bike forum, I love my vulcan, change oil every 3500 miles, BUT my buddy who like you only put on a 1000 miles a year, changed his every 2 years, still running.
revrider likes this.

2005 KAWASAKI VULCAN 2000 A2
VANCE AND HINES POWERSHOTS EXHAUST
COBRA FI2000 TRIPOT EFI
THUNDER TORNADO AIR INTAKE
K&N AIR FILTER
TSUKAYU STRONGS LEATHER HARD BAGS
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-29-2017, 08:10 PM

Year/Make/Model: 2010/Vulcan/900 Classic LT
Displacement/CC's: 900
Color: Red/Black
Yes, change every year, but more often? maybe

A good reason to change your oil every year is because combustion byproducts find their way into the oil, and it is not good to have oil with contaminants running through your engine and sitting in it over the winter. The mileage recommended by manufacturers includes a consideration for how "loosely" built an engine is, heat the oil will experience and how much oil the pan holds relative to the size of the engine, among other things. An engine built to higher tolerances does not contaminate the oil as quickly, hence it can be used longer.

Here's a comparison story: In the late '80s I had a Chevy 2.8L V6 that from new, would start using oil within 1,500 miles after an oil change. I checked with GM and they said it was still considered within specification. Oil capacity was 5 quarts. The recommended oil changes interval was 3,000 miles. In contrast, I've owned a 1986 Porsche for 17 years and have driven it an average of 8,000 miles per year. The factory recommended oil change interval is 15,000 miles. The oil capacity is 6 quarts for a 2.5L engine, and the engine has a dedicated oil cooler. I have not babied this engine and always change the oil just once a year before storing it for winter. It has about 180k miles on the clock, runs like new, and doesn't even need to be topped off between oil changes.

Motorcycle engines, especially if not water cooled, can be tough on oil. Also, don't forget your engine oil is also lubricating your transmission. My advice: Use top quality oil. Follow the manufacturer recommendation on mileage and time. Change the oil and filter at least once a year if you don't reach manufacturer limits. Change the oil before you store for the winter.
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-02-2017, 07:10 PM

Year/Make/Model: 2004 Vulcan , 2013 Voyager
Displacement/CC's: 1600,1700
Color: dark cherry, dark blue and black
one vote for at least once a year regardless of mileage. the temp changes where most people store a motorcycle will have moisture accumulate in the oil or crankcase starting it periodically will help evaporate it and stir it up but still needs to be flushed out.
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-03-2017, 08:59 PM
Lifetime Premium

Year/Make/Model: 2010 Kawasaki Voyager
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Red/Black
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by REDNEKMAN View Post
one vote for at least once a year regardless of mileage. the temp changes where most people store a motorcycle will have moisture accumulate in the oil or crankcase starting it periodically will help evaporate it and stir it up but still needs to be flushed out.
Haven't seen it on the Voyager, but the oil in my Honda Sabre would get a milky emulsion when it cooled after a ride during the winter. Warm to operating temp, check the oil and it was milky. Not unusual for a Sabre. Ride for 10 minutes and the emulsion was gone. I always changed the oil early spring because the water was probably interfering with the acid reducers in the oil.

I change the oil twice a year for the Voyager. 10W-40 for winter and 20W-50 for summer. It gets hot enough for long enough in Georgia that I feel 20W-50 is appropriate, plus I always seem to find myself in creeping traffic. The hotter the day, the longer and slower that creeping is, it seems.

Installed:
RAM mount for TomTom Rider 400 (with anti theft module)
6000k LED Headlight & Spots; Kisan Headlight Modulator (works with LEDs),
__Brake Light Modulator, LED License Plate Holder
Longer Kickstand
Dobeck EJK 3.0
Lucky Mirror Extenders
Misc. RAM Mounts for Cup Holder, SPOT, Phone, etc.
Chuckster BAK, Trailer Hitch and Cooler Rack
Wiring for Trailer
Ray's Throttle Mod
Things to do:
Drilling Baffle Plates (Maybe)
Paint HF Tag Along Trailer to Match Bike

LET'S RIDE
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 04:38 PM
Lifetime Premium

Garage
I’ve put over 5000 miles on my bike since October and I live in Seattle. You need to ride more man! But oil is the life blood of your engine. If you’re not gonna ride it, at least treat it well. Now get out there and RIDE!

Vulcan 900 Custom VN900CE
Freedom Performance Exhaust
Stock Intake No DFI Mods

Last edited by JinglePJones; 06-05-2019 at 04:42 PM. Reason: Needed to address the question with an answer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode