What Would You Have Done: Lane Merging Edition - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-07-2016, 11:02 AM Thread Starter
Sponsored Editorial Content

What Would You Have Done: Lane Merging Edition

Quote:
As motorcyclists, were all too familiar with car drivers merging into our lanes, seemingly blind to the fact were occupying the lane they are trying to merge into. But whats proper etiquette when a two-lane road turns into one? Which order should vehicles in a double-file line let each other into a single-file line? Whatever your answer, its probably not what this woman was thinking as she comes from behind this motorcyclist and co-occupies the lane hes in. He then gets upset, honks the horn a few times, gives the driver a quick lesson in merging, calls her a choice expletive then rides on.

Normally thats where a story like this would end. Instead, he spots a police officer up ahead, flags him down, and sticks him on the car driver.
Read more about the What Would You Have Done: Lane Merging Edition at Motorcycle.com.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-07-2016, 11:13 AM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 1995 Kawasaki Vulcan 500
Color: Black / grey
That is crazy, yet it happens A LOT to bikes and cars.
The funny thing he does give her the WTF, yet he isn't yelling at her and seems so calm! I'd be screaming at her.

I had a similar thing happen at a construction site merge from two to one lane, as I honked and yelled at the driver he just seemed to be in some other place even though he looked right at me!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1995 en500 stock with windshield - 30,000 miles
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-07-2016, 01:23 PM

Year/Make/Model: 2012
Displacement/CC's: 900
Wish we could see what happens next.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-07-2016, 11:03 PM

Looks like she learned to drive in El Paso
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-08-2016, 12:22 PM
Top Contributor

I'd blast my Wolo air horn at them but if they don't yield the lane I'm not going to argue with a vehicle which can wipe me out.

'07 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Classic LT

Jesus is Lord
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-12-2016, 09:38 PM

Year/Make/Model: 2008 V2KLT
I would have been in front of the truck so it would have never happened.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-15-2016, 03:18 PM

Year/Make/Model: 2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Classic
Displacement/CC's: 903
Color: Silver
First, if this is a permanent lane-ending merge, if I have room (depending on traffic), I'm going to position myself as close to the middle of the two lanes as possible, discouraging passing on either side. Usually this works very well.

Second, if this is an unplanned lane closure (construction or emergency), I'm going to move to the through lane as soon as I can. I'll position myself toward the edge of that lane nearest the lane that's ending.

Failing that, if I have to merge late, I try to get ahead of a slightly larger gap between cars so my turn signal can be seen, and linger there until the driver behind me lets me in. Generally, if I'm obviously not trying to cram my way over, they'll let me in pretty quickly.

Lastly, given an idiot who wants to share my lane or push me around, I back off and let them go ahead. They're easier to watch in front than in my mirrors. I'm not about to play bulldozer with a bike. If they get hit, the car or truck gets dented; if I get hit, I'm probably leaving the scene in an ambulance.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-20-2016, 11:36 AM

This happened a few towns over from me. The cager was given a ~$250 ticket for several infractions.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode