Top 10 Best Motorcycling Touring Roads - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-27-2011, 02:08 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

Garage
Top 10 Best Motorcycling Touring Roads

'I've been everywhere, man; I've been everywhere, man; across the deserts bare, man; I've breathed the mountain air, man; of travel I've had my share, man; I've been everywhere.' óJohnny Cash

Even for Johnny Cash, it would be a mighty feat to ride America's 3.9 million miles of highways, byways, avenues and alleys to get, as the song says, "everywhere." Although sometimes it may feel like we've traveled every road worth a ride, the biker DNA bubbling in our blood tells us there is, somewhere, the spectacular road not taken.

Not that we haven't tried to ride everywhere. Aside from a few heated water-cooler debates, varying levels of certifiable psychosis, polite differences of opinion and immeasurable variables of riding style, the staff at Motorcycle.com carefully considered its 300 or so years of collective biking experience and named these the Top 10 touring roads in the U.S., although no peaceable agreement could be made as to order, except for the fistfight averting alphabetical.

Print this, stuff it in your leather shirt, get off the couch and on your bike, and find some adventure.

More: Top 10 Best Motorcycling Touring Roads on Motorcycle.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-15-2011, 09:20 PM

top 10 roads don't include the Nantahala?

Anybody out there ever rode the dragon? How can this not make the top 10?
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-15-2011, 09:24 PM

I haven't been around lately because I've been behind bars. You see I'm a chaplain and I ride to prisons and jails all over this country on Max my V2K! Max is really the "Blue Max" with the front fender adorn by that very medal, and even though the Kaiser usurped it for the German medal of honor that was not what it was made for! It is the order "pour le merite" which was a knighthood from Fredrick the great for a citizen that did something extraordinary for his people. The truth shall set you free.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-15-2011, 10:03 PM
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by grody View Post
I haven't been around lately because I've been behind bars. You see I'm a chaplain and I ride to prisons and jails all over this country on Max my V2K! Max is really the "Blue Max" with the front fender adorn by that very medal, and even though the Kaiser usurped it for the German medal of honor that was not what it was made for! It is the order "pour le merite" which was a knighthood from Fredrick the great for a citizen that did something extraordinary for his people. The truth shall set you free.
Hello grody.. dragon should be on the list. I am not a chaplain, but I too go into prisons with a group called Kairos.

2007 EN500-17K miles
USN Retired
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Donít let society influence you.. You should be the influence for society.
To The World You Might Be One Person;
But To One Person You Might Be the World.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-16-2011, 08:23 AM

I do Kairos also. In fact I have Century CI coming up in September. and NWFRC in October, but it's the other ministries where I can do one on one in lock down that I really like. It is such a blessing top see prisoners set free! And the ones that get to see Max get blown away by him and his story!
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-16-2011, 11:06 AM
Top Contributor

Grody,

That’s great, seeing the blue Max may also be an incentive to get out and ride some of the great roads like the ten listed here. I work in region 2 at Baker CI and mainly Columbia CI which is in October. Wife and I have ridden a lot of the back roads from Orlando to Jacksonville out to Cedar Key up to Savannah. It’s amazing the stuff you see and people you meet when you get off the interstate hwys. Maybe one day we will get the time from working to check out some of these roads in the other states. When I was younger I lived in GA. born and had family in NC, so I rode a lot of the back roads thru those two states and TN.

2007 EN500-17K miles
USN Retired

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-16-2011, 12:27 PM
Bike Of The Year Winner, 2012

Garage
Quote:
Anybody out there ever rode the dragon? How can this not make the top 10?
What's that?
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-16-2011, 12:44 PM

Talking The Dragon

A long switch back trail up in the Santellah forest of North Carolina. Well over 1000 miles of road if you do it all. Got to be a hard tail to ride it! It is part of the Natahallah trail near Robbinsville NC
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-16-2011, 01:21 PM
Top Contributor

http://www.tailofthedragon.com/

2007 EN500-17K miles
USN Retired

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-18-2011, 10:02 PM
wocka, wocka, wocka

BRP is still the best #1 road in Nord Hamerika!

Quote:
A long switch back trail up in the Santellah forest of North Carolina. Well over 1000 miles of road if you do it all. Got to be a hard tail to ride it! It is part of the Natahallah trail near Robbinsville NC
groder,, ok. yor gonna have to splain this in more detail. where / what perzactly is this dragon that you got a whole 1k miles of?
mos us have ridden the "tail" all 318 twist in 11 miles.. but where are the otter 989? is this some contiguos route or a compilation of connecting roads that outline a fiery beast?
give it up dood. dont put it out there, claim its worthy of top 10 status and not gives us specs.
ok, so have ridden the tail a couple times and cherhola and even canoed the OCOEE river. some mighty fine roads, but nowheres near 1k worth. The old faithful BlueRidge is worth close if you do it twice, up n back. 466x2=932 smiles.

But somewheres you gots this gem tucked away and aint coughin up the goods. thems grounds for sassin ya.. ok,,now Im resortin to beggin. where is this piece of nirvana? ponchout

Last edited by Poncho Villa; 07-05-2012 at 11:41 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode