Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Oil change on VN 900?

4K views 29 replies 12 participants last post by  bosco 
#1 ·
Has anyone posted about the voltage regulator being in the way of the oil filter?

#3 ·
Since the voltage regulator crowded the new Drifter fender I put on the wife's 900, I went ahead and re-located it to the left side of the bike with the purchase of 1 longer bolt and a spacer. Problem solved forever. I don't understand why Kaw put it where they did, makes absolutely no sense. Pics to follow.

#4 ·
Moving the regulator off the filter is pretty easy. Getting the filter out for the first time can be a bear without a good metal cap wrench. Not sure why the regulator is put there but it may be because that spot sees a lot of air movement and the regulator likes to be cooled. It also blocks debris that’s thrown off of the tire from impacting the filter.

#7 ·
if you hate moving everytime, you can do like i did. i put (2) 1/4" thick collar spacers on each bolt behind the bracket and longer bolts w/nuts. now i never have to remove it when i change the filter. it gives it just enough room to get the filter in and out. i'll post a pic if needed.

#8 ·
here is a pic of what i am talking about.

Attachments

#17 ·
Do you have a meter with a temp probe? Or better yet an IR or laser temp gun? One thing you might try is to go for a ride (noting what accessories are on, lights, brights or not, etc., to keep things consistent)., read the temp in several situations and note them at your current mount, and then try and re-create those mounted in the stock location and see if it's operating warmer.

#19 ·
Doesn't even need to be 4 bolts! If I recall correctly, even the service manual just says to remove the one side and turn the reg/rect unit to expose the oil filter. Just takes a couple seconds. I don't take it off, I just swivel it out of the way by taking off the cover and then the bolt on one side.

#21 ·
well, mine wont overheat or anyhting. it gets the exact same air as before, i just spaced it out a little further.

#25 ·
We live in a hurry-up world. Why can't we just be patient and take the little bolts out, unscrew the oil filter, and then cuss/sware looking for that blasted tool to remove the oil cap that should be a stinking dip stick... then try to figure out how to check the oil level. Sure there was a lot of thinking that went into the 900 design. The engineers all live in N.Korea now!

#27 ·
I second that bosco. I enjoy working on the bike and learning about what makes it tick....in the off riding season of course. :)

#28 ·
What makes it "tick"....Pun intended....or a Freudian slip? ;)

#29 ·
This might be a tip and it might not. I think - think - that when I changed my oil before putting the bike up for the winter I used the handy wrench in the factory tool kit for adjusting preload on the shock to get the oil cap loose. I think that the back of the wrench end is narrow enough to fit in the slot and then you have a nice leveraged handle to use. I might be completely wrong, though - it has been some months and my memory isn't what it used to be......

#30 ·
You are correct, the spanner wrench fits great. I also an old bicycle wrench in my tool box that fits perfectly as well. Amazing what you might find digging through your old tools. :rolleyes:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.