To soon - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-26-2013, 07:15 PM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

Garage
To soon

Well here it is the Tuesday before Thanksgiving and Rudolf The Red Nose Reindeer is on CBS in prime time.

Call me old fashioned but shouldn't we get past one holiday before we start celebrating the next?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-26-2013, 07:57 PM
Top Contributor

It is not even thanks giving yet. What's up with that. In our house we get done with the current holiday before we get to the next.

But unfortunately it is more important to stores to promote Christmas earlier and earlier. They got to make that money. Nobody buys thanksgiving presents.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

1985 Honda Nighthawk 650 (First Bike)
2004 Vulcan 1500 Classic (First Big Bike)
2007 Vulcan 1600 Meanstreak (Love Affair)
1999 Yamaha 1100 V-Star Custom (Right Price at the Time)
2008 V2K Classic (Favorite Vulcan)
2014 HD Ultra Limited (Bells and Whistles)
Who would have thought I would grow up to become "Spatially Educated" and play Connect-the-Dots for a living.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-26-2013, 08:23 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2014 Kawasaki Vulcan Vaquero ABS SE
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Orange SE
Garage
Eh...

You know you don't have to watch it. All I've really gotta say about that!

I'm a big Christmas person. I like the Christmas music early and stuff like that. Stores being open with black Friday sales on Thanksgiving I'm not too thrilled about. And maybe I'm wrong but I figure folks who don't like it could just as easily change the channel. I don't like the annoying pop music played in the stores during the year so I just tune it out. If you don't like the Christmas music... well...

But easy for me to say since I like it!

That's me anyway.

Merry Christmas! hehe.

"8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS SE
iPod Connector Kit, Kuryakyn Highway Pegs, Mustang Touring Seat, Marvella's Hitch, Kuryakyn Trailer Wiring Kit, Haul-Master Tag-a-Long Cargo Trailer

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)

Memphis shades quick-release windshield, OEM Solo Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, Chrome Solo Luggage Rack

Past: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-27-2013, 12:06 AM
Top Contributor

Garage
Stores here where putting out Christmas stuff along with the halloween stuff in early to mid october. the bell ringers have been out here for 2 weks already. I wonder how long it will be before Christmas decor will be competeing for July 4th decor for shelf space. I feel it takes away from the current holliday getting hiped up about the next one.

2005 800 classic
2012 Voyager ABS
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-27-2013, 07:51 AM
Lifetime Premium

Year/Make/Model: 2017 Kawasaki Vaquero
Color: Red
The early displays bother me because it isn't about the season, it's about getting our money. They could care less about "good will toward men" or celebrating the birth. But my response is that I don't do any shopping, I change the channel or watch a DVD. Next week will be soon enough!

Jerry "Old Bear" Barker
Clarksville, TN
Americas Guardians PS MC
Tennessee 16-A Chapter
"Blaze" 2017 Vaquero
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-27-2013, 11:28 AM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2014 Kawasaki Vulcan Vaquero ABS SE
Color: Orange SE
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Bear View Post
The early displays bother me because it isn't about the season, it's about getting our money. They could care less about "good will toward men" or celebrating the birth. But my response is that I don't do any shopping, I change the channel or watch a DVD. Next week will be soon enough!
You're not at all wrong there! Christmas is horribly commercialized. But, I don't let it get me down. It's the one time of year I get to see distant family members, I get time off, people are happy, and I do love the music. As I said though; I like to 'people watch' on black friday sometimes, and it's amazing how cruel and awful people can be, the day after thanksgiving, over a $10 savings they could've probably gotten if they just went online (or gotten the next day when it's still on sale and still in stock).

Some churches and organizations are encouraging people to reduce the amount they spend on gifts, and take that money and give it to food pantries (Believe it or not, most food pantries would much rather have money than food- they can buy food incredibly cheap. One near me says they buy food in bulk for 10 cents a pound, it's a tax write off to the suppliers. She buys pallets of food for very little) and other charities. I think it's a great idea. How many iPhones does a 10 year old need anyway?

"8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS SE
iPod Connector Kit, Kuryakyn Highway Pegs, Mustang Touring Seat, Marvella's Hitch, Kuryakyn Trailer Wiring Kit, Haul-Master Tag-a-Long Cargo Trailer

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)

Memphis shades quick-release windshield, OEM Solo Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, Chrome Solo Luggage Rack

Past: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-27-2013, 06:13 PM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romans5.8 View Post
Eh...

You know you don't have to watch it. All I've really gotta say about that!

I'm a big Christmas person. I like the Christmas music early and stuff like that. Stores being open with black Friday sales on Thanksgiving I'm not too thrilled about. And maybe I'm wrong but I figure folks who don't like it could just as easily change the channel. I don't like the annoying pop music played in the stores during the year so I just tune it out. If you don't like the Christmas music... well...

But easy for me to say since I like it!

That's me anyway.

Merry Christmas! hehe.

That is what I did, changed the channel. I am old enough to remember when CBS originally aired Rudolf, it is one of my favorites.Listing to Burl Ives narrative takes me back to a simpler time, but there is a time and a place. By the way, I like the cartoon. Are you calling me an old Turkey? My kids would probably agree with you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick View Post
Stores here where putting out Christmas stuff along with the halloween stuff in early to mid october. the bell ringers have been out here for 2 weks already. I wonder how long it will be before Christmas decor will be competeing for July 4th decor for shelf space. I feel it takes away from the current holliday getting hiped up about the next one.
There is a local radio station that starts playing Christmas music on Halloween. I change the channel and vote with my dollars, none of there sponsors get my business.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Bear View Post
I'm with you Bear. I may sound like an old curmudgeon but the seasons should be celebrated in there time not one or two seasons before they even get here.

Last edited by TS Tinker; 11-27-2013 at 06:21 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode