Censorship at it's Finest - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-22-2013, 08:36 PM Thread Starter
BOTM Winner, April 2013

Garage
Censorship at it's Finest

So last week I was on motocampers.com forum, and some woman made a comment about the fact that the forum is VERY conservative, considering that it's an adult forum. She thought it was a bit restrictive, as if children frequent that forum. A couple of the "moderators" chimed in, saying this is a "family friendly" forum and thus free from "smut" and foul language. Then they said if people want to talk "that way", they can go find another forum, because there's other forums better suited for that.
Then a few people made posts agreeing with these moderators, saying "well said". Well, I made a post disagreeing with these other posts. I stated that in my opinion, the censorship of that forum was excessive, to the point of bordering on communism, and that it seemed unamerican.
Well, I guess that struck a nerve with one "moderator". He quickly sent me an email advising me I have "been warned" that calling people names is a violation of forum rules, and that "continuing this behavior could lead me to finding myself by the wayside". I responded to him, stating that I didn't call anyone "a communist, or unamerican", but rather referred to the act of censorship as such. I then told him that motocampers.com has just found itself by MY wayside, as I don't want to belong to a forum that acts so Un-American. He then advised me that I would be "Gone in 60 seconds", banned for Life. As if I care. I did not use any profanity at any time. I just disagreed. He said I offended HIM, because he fought for this country. I told him to brush up on American history, to refresh himself on why and how this country came to be, and what the Bill of Rights stands for. Sorry for the long-winded rant. Just had to vent.

AKA The Green Hornet
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-22-2013, 08:46 PM

The majority of forums are privately run. Being so, they do not fall under freedom of speech, etc. Many people don't seem to be able to differentiate the two.
post #3 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-22-2013, 09:05 PM Thread Starter
BOTM Winner, April 2013

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KV9002010 View Post
The majority of forums are privately run. Being so, they do not fall under freedom of speech, etc. Many people don't seem to be able to differentiate the two.
I must say that is a cowardly defense to stand behind. "We're privately owned. We don't have to be American. Communism is okay here".

What some people are unable to differentiate, is what is RIGHT and what is not illegal. Just because something is not illegal, does NOT mean it is RIGHT.

AKA The Green Hornet

post #4 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-22-2013, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstorey823 View Post
I must say that is a cowardly defense to stand behind. "We're privately owned. We don't have to be American. Communism is okay here".

What some people are unable to differentiate, is what is RIGHT and what is not illegal. Just because something is not illegal, does NOT mean it is RIGHT.
That is what the laws say, right or wrong.

Just as this forum could ban anyone they feel like for any reason. THIS is the digital world we live in and you may not like it but you agree to it when you click that accept button.
post #5 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-22-2013, 09:21 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
Sorry Tstorey,
But, freedom of speech doesn't mean freedom from consequences.

It is just as un-American and "communist" to expect everyone everywhere to have to listen to everything you have to say.

The freedom of association is a right derived from the first amendment. It gives people the right to hang out with who they chose.

Maybe motocampers was unrealistic in their censorship. I don't know.
But, the right to create an association that censors speech is perfectly American.

If you (or I) don't like the rules to be a part of a private entity; we have the right leave. We don't have the right to make them change the rules.

Scott

2012 Voyager 1700 ---SOLD
Pearl Alpine White/Pearl Luster Beige
Nice

2011 Rocket III Touring
Phantom Black
Naughty

2016 Indian Roadmaster
Thunder Black

There can be no happiness if the things we believe in are different from the things we do
post #6 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-22-2013, 09:54 PM
Top Contributor

Not only can the forum mods decide what is right or wrong for that forum, most have policies that say open challenge/disregard of a mod's cease and desist order or authority is sufficient grounds for banishment.

As mentioned earlier, you agreed to play by the rules when you signed on.

As a side note, several forums I go on also have "no beefs with other forums aired here" policies. That sort of thing is also grounds for warning and or banishment on those forums.

Last edited by whoaru99; 10-22-2013 at 09:56 PM.
post #7 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-22-2013, 10:23 PM
Top Contributor

I was in the Cub Scouts, Boy Scouts, Explorers, USMC, martial arts, power lifting, riding motorcycles and president of the local chapter of the Descendants of a Confederate Veterans. I'm as American as can be, stand by the Constitution and fear the government has gotten too big and too restrictive. However, I find that using profanity doesn't impress anyone. Instead, it shows a lack of respect and consideration of others. A site should not have to be "family friendly" to keep out profane language. If someone does not like the rules of a site, they are free to form their own. We are free to associate with like minded people. Not being critical, just expressing my freedom of speech.
post #8 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-22-2013, 11:37 PM
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstorey823 View Post

Tstorey, you just contradicted your own argument. Whose shoes are you wearing now?
post #9 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-22-2013, 11:53 PM

There are an abundance of places on the web where all sorts of smut are available. Why shouldn't like minded people not have the right to keep their forum their way? Imho forcing a group on a private forum to have to accept what they don't want is un-American and communist.

2008 Nomad Black/Red
1998 1500a Black/Red
post #10 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-22-2013, 11:54 PM
Top Contributor

Personally, I would not be a member of a "non-American, communist" website. Just because something is legal does not mean it is moral.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode