Pride & Honor - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-20-2008, 06:49 PM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

Garage
Pride & Honor

I think that this past Friday I hit one of the highest points of being a parent, at least for me. My youngest son was sworn into the U.S. Navy. After months of discussion and thought he made the choice to serve and went through MEPS last Thursday and Friday, and was sworn in Friday. He's on the delayed entry program and will ship to boot camp next July after he graduates high school. Serving our country is a source of great pride in our family, I served in the U.S. Army from '84 to '92, my cousin was in the Navy in 'Nam, my great uncle was a pilot in the Korean War, my grandfather was a medic and POW in WWII. We've had family members serving through each war and conflict since the Civil War. I couldn't be prouder of him for making this decision. Of course if I said there was no fear or worry involved, I'd be lying, with today's conflicts the chance of him seeing a hostile zone is there and it does scare the crap out of me. He's well aware of the possibilities and still feels that serving his country is worth it. Serving your country is one of the most honorable things that anyone can do and I couldn't be prouder of him. Even if you don't like the politics of our country(personally, I hate politics)support our troops, because if it comes down to it, they'll be the ones standing in front of you defending you. Sorry for rambling on, but I'm a very proud parent

-------------------------------------
'02 Vulcan 1500 Drifter
'07 Vulcan 900 Classic
'06 HD XL1200C
'76 HD XLH
Patriot Guard Rider
SCRC, Rolling Hills Chapter 314
-Rob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-20-2008, 08:19 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
Send a message via MSN to slaponte Send a message via Yahoo to slaponte
You should be. I was AF 1980 to 86 and Guard two years before that. My father was AF Captain for many years. I think even if you don't make it a career it is a great experience for some people. I know mine was great.

VROC # 27462
2003 Kawasaki Vulcan 1600 Classic :
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-21-2008, 04:51 AM

congrats, and good luck to your son! we all appriciate what the military does for us!

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-21-2008, 09:18 AM

I Believe Serving In The Military Is One Of Best Things A Young Person Can Do, Not Only For His Country But Also For Themselves. The Discipline, Sense Of Perpose And Comaradery Cant Be Beat. I Served From 1972 To 1992, And Would Not Trade My Experience For The World( Which I Got To See Alot Of).
I Wish Your Son The Best And God Bless Him And All Of Those Serving.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-21-2008, 01:53 PM

Ditto the above.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-12-2008, 06:26 PM

Congrats KSVN900. Currently serving in the Canadian Navy with 28 years done so far. Have had 2 tours to the Persian Gulf Since 9/11 (Oct 01-May 02 and Jun-Dec 07). Nothing makes your heart beat faster than defending your countires, and your best neighbours, global interests. To this day nothing makes me stand straighter than walking down the street in my dress uniform (in whatever country i'm in) and having people say "Thank You". And you can tell they mean it from the bottom of their hearts!

I wish your son all the luck in the world to overcome the challenges in front of him and "Fair Winds and following Seas" to bring him back to you safe and sound after every deployment.

Yours Aye
Chief Petty Officer Second Class (Senior Chief - USN equivalent)
Attached Images

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Blunoz Cruiser
06 VN900 LT
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-12-2008, 08:01 PM

You should be VERY Proud. There is no greater honor than serving your country. Your son will learn much from this and only come away a better man for it. I don't have to tell you though as you already know this. I too was in the ARMY for 8 yrs but personally I could never join the navy. I'm a fresh water kinda guy. Any time I get out away from shore too far and I'm only good for chumming. Tell your son we are all very proud of him. He'll get to see alot of the world he might not have had the chance to see. Enjoy it and use it too his advantage. Good Luck and God Bless. He will definitely be in out prayers.

06 Mean Streak
V&H Bigshots Exhaust, Thunder Tornado Intake, Kuryakyn Wild Things TFI, 12" Smooth Ride Shocks, Danny Gray Flame Seat, Reaper Front Fender, Radiator Chin Scoop, Front Axle Spikes, Rear Fender Spikes, Iso Grips with Spike ends, Kewl Metal Risers, Led Rear Turn Signals, Smoke Tail and Turn Signal Covers, Stebel Air Horn, Kuryakyn Retro Pegs, Arlen Ness Mirrors, Custom Jack Daniels Gauge Faces, Jack Daniels Air Cleaner Cover, Sidemount License Mount with LED Lighting, HotBox
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-12-2008, 08:14 PM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

Garage
Thanks for the kind words and encouragement everyone. He's pretty excited, nervous, scared, and a bunch of other emotions all at the same time, kinda like me when I joined

-------------------------------------
'02 Vulcan 1500 Drifter
'07 Vulcan 900 Classic
'06 HD XL1200C
'76 HD XLH
Patriot Guard Rider
SCRC, Rolling Hills Chapter 314
-Rob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page