because they CAN, they believe they MUST - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-12-2012, 05:06 PM Thread Starter
wocka, wocka, wocka

because they CAN, they believe they MUST

this just the beginning of the end. it starts with a good cause, kids need to be safe, but it will end up with you, I and everyone wearing one of these dog collars, trackable ID's will be required by law,, soon enough. laff now if you must. it wont be all that far off before these chips are imbedded in your noggin.

Texas school district's plan to track students with microchips implanted in mandatory IDs has at least one parent charging it's an invasion of his daughter's privacy.

Beginning in the middle of October, roughly 4,200 students at John Jay High School and Anson Jones Middle School in San Antonio will be required to wear the ID cards that utilize radio frequency identification. The card, which will be worn on a lanyard around each student’s neck, will transmit location information via microchip to electronic readers throughout the campuses, Northside Independent School District spokesman Pascual Gonzalez told FoxNews.com.

“It is like GPS in the school,” Gonzalez said. “As administrators, we are charged with the safety of students in our schools. So within the four walls of Jay High School and Jones Middle School during the school day, we will always know where those kids are.”

The one-year pilot program, which will cost the district $261,000, is also expected to increase attendance, and could bring an additional $2 million to the district in state funding as a result, said Gonzalez, adding that the program will be reevaluated next summer.

“This allows us to quickly identify if any of those students reported absent are, in fact, in the school,” Gonzalez said in reference to students who may be elsewhere in the building during roll call. “And if they are, we find them, get them to class and report them present.”

“This is non-threatening technology. This is not surveillance.”
- NISD spokesman Pascual Gonzalez

Parents have been “supportive” of the new program, Gonzalez said, with the exception of one parent, Steven Hernandez, and his daughter Andrea, both of whom participated in a protest against the technology.

“He is the lone protester,” Gonzalez said. “For us, this technology represents an efficient way to locate a student and to always know where our students are in our care.”

Attempts to reach Andrea Hernandez on Wednesday were unsuccessful, but the John Jay sophomore told KSN.com she thinks many students will rebel against the new policy by stashing the ID cards in their lockers.

“It makes me uncomfortable,” she told the website. “It’s an invasion of my privacy.”

Hernandez believes the system isn’t necessary because the district already employs digital cameras in all high schools and middle schools. She’s also worried what might happen if the technology gets hacked or misused.

"With a smart phone you can use the option to use your locator, but this I can't turn it off," Hernandez said.

Other parents, meanwhile, have indicated they support the new program.

"You never know when a disaster is going to happen and to know where your child is at least you have that card to know where your kid's at all times," Michelle Esquivel told FOX 29.

Another parent, Ernest Castro, said the safety of his child is the utmost importance.

"I'm always worried about my daughter being at school," he told FOX 29.

In a letter to parents, John Jay High School administrators assured them that the ID cards will store no personal information and that they’ll work only on school grounds.

“Think how important this will be in the case of an emergency,” the letter reads. “In addition, the ‘smart’ student ID card will be used in the breakfast and lunch lines in the cafeteria and to check out books from the library. Because all students will be required to wear their ‘smart’ ID, staff will be able to quickly identify Jay students inside the school.”

Despite those assurances, a coalition of privacy and civil liberties organizations and experts have called for a moratorium on the technology, including the American Civil Liberties Union and Liz McIntyre, author of "Spy Chips: How Major Corporations and Government Plan to Track your Every Purchase and Watch Your Every Move."

"These tags are always on," McIntyre told FoxNews.com. "There's no off switch on these things."

McIntyre, who began studying the technology in 2002, said she's primarily concerned with the electronic readers getting into the wrong hands or for students to attempt to use them fraudulently, perhaps by leaving them at school while being elsewhere.

"We're concerned that students could leave the tags in school and then leave," she said.

In a statement released last month, Dr. Katherine Albrecht, director of Consumers Against Supermarket Privacy Invasion and Numbering, warned against an impending backlash against the technology, which is currently in use only in two public school districts in Texas.

“Schools, of all places, should be teaching children how to participate in a free democratic society, not conditioning them to be tracked like cattle," Albrecht's statement read. "Districts planning to use RFID should brace themselves for a parent backlash, protests and lawsuits.”

Gonzalez rejected that criticism, saying the pilot program and the “smart” ID cards have been used successfully in Houston’s Spring Independent School District for at least the past five years.

“This is non-threatening technology,” he said. “This is not surveillance...yet!.”

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-12-2012, 06:21 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
Most RFID tags need to be within a couple of meters of a reader to be activated.
They do not store very much information; usually just a unique ID number. It is the database that the reader is hooked to that keeps all of your info.
If you carried one of these through Wal-mart while shopping for filters; the reader at the door would see the tag, but it would not be able to associate any data.

The administrator that called these GPS in the school is incorrect.
It can keep track of when a tag was near a reader; having readers at entrances and strategically throughout the school can indicate if you entered and if you left. But, unless you are standing at a reader, it cannot tell where you are.

School IDs with a name and photo carry more information.

I am against the Government tracking us, and I think there is too much personal information being bandied about in cyberspace these days.
But, these are much less intrusive than using a credit card.

Scott

2012 Voyager 1700 ---SOLD
Pearl Alpine White/Pearl Luster Beige
Nice

2011 Rocket III Touring
Phantom Black
Naughty

2016 Indian Roadmaster
Thunder Black

There can be no happiness if the things we believe in are different from the things we do
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-12-2012, 06:33 PM Thread Starter
wocka, wocka, wocka

just the tip of the iceberg. so they can trak where you'v been. not long till they will trak where you are, who you are, why you are there?
why put law enforcement people in harms way just to identify you, if they can scan your plate or read your vehicle from afar. id who's vehicle, who's driving it, where you been, where yor going, how fast and how much to charge you for every mile and if you transgressed any of the million or so laws written to snare yor arse. kah'ching-kah'ching.
whats that song? MONEY its a drag...
our gov is hooked on spending like meth heads and you are the ticket to thier next jones.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-12-2012, 06:48 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
I can't disagree with that!

Toll roads that track your time against your distance can tell if you are speeding. Then conveniently send you a ticket in the mail; just like the traffic cameras everyone is so fond of.

Cop cars with character recognition software can drive down a street and tell if a parked car has insurance or if the registered owner has warrants. No input necessary by the officer.

Department stores track credit card purchases and tailor their mail marketing to you.
They are so good at analyzing you by your purchasing history they sent diaper, formula, and prenatal coupons to a young woman living at home that had not told anyone (read: her parents) she was pregnant yet.

We aren't heading there; we are there!

Scott

2012 Voyager 1700 ---SOLD
Pearl Alpine White/Pearl Luster Beige
Nice

2011 Rocket III Touring
Phantom Black
Naughty

2016 Indian Roadmaster
Thunder Black

There can be no happiness if the things we believe in are different from the things we do
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-12-2012, 07:07 PM
Top Contributor

The big one is your Kroger or other grocery store discount card.. All of your info is sold not only to marketing companies BUT now to your health insurance provider , they will know everything you eat and if its healthy or not. If you buy lots of beer and chips or eat unhealthy you will not be in compliance so your ins. rates are raised or your Obama care can be terminated..... Big Brother is here....

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote <Ben Franklin?>

2008 V2K
Gone to the Darkside
Hard Krome 2-1
Power Commander
Custom Paint
Wheels, Forks,Rotors,Calipers all polished

2008 V900 Customized By ROAR
2-1 Exhaust
Baron Big Air
Scootworks Pulleys
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-12-2012, 07:46 PM
zig
Lifetime Premium

Garage
Just spank the kids that aren't where they are supposed to be. There. Problem solved. Send me the $261,000. I just solved your problem the old fashioned way. The same way that kept me in school and safe. Probably worked on most of you also. Except Ponch, don't know if it worked on him.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-12-2012, 10:40 PM Thread Starter
wocka, wocka, wocka

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig View Post
Just spank the kids that aren't where they are supposed to be. There. Problem solved. Send me the $261,000. I just solved your problem the old fashioned way. The same way that kept me in school and safe. Probably worked on most of you also. Except Ponch, don't know if it worked on him.
them nuns beat me with an uglee stik. i think i broke that thing.. why dya think i was normal?

post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-13-2012, 07:58 AM
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho Villa View Post
them nuns beat me with an uglee stik. i think i broke that thing.. why dya think i was normal?
I believe that stick was a deterent, amazing we didnt have bypolar , adhd, ocd, or any other bad behavior when i was in school... Bad kids were frikin scared to misbehave... Little ole nuns with big sticks were brutal , ive seen more than one 10 year old wet his pants from the "LOOK" ....... They would come by and frap your fingers with a ruler cause they had a feeling you were thinking bad thoughts, they were probably right... bd

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote <Ben Franklin?>

2008 V2K
Gone to the Darkside
Hard Krome 2-1
Power Commander
Custom Paint
Wheels, Forks,Rotors,Calipers all polished

2008 V900 Customized By ROAR
2-1 Exhaust
Baron Big Air
Scootworks Pulleys
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-13-2012, 08:07 AM

Garage
How is this any different than wearing a badge at work? It identifies if you belong there, and you usually have to scan it to get in or out.

2009 Vulcan 900 Classic
  • Saddleman Profiler Seat
  • Memphis Shades Fats 17"
  • Memphis Shades Zipper Pouch
  • Kuryakn ISO Grips - Black
  • Cobra Speedster Short Exhaust
  • K&N Air Filter
  • River Road Throw-Overs
  • Highway Bars
  • S&$T eating grins
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-13-2012, 08:22 AM Thread Starter
wocka, wocka, wocka

so far, at least for now, you get to choose where you work. if you dont like being badged and tagged, then go somewhere else. nobody says you have to work for the man.
oh thats right, you got a degree and skool loan, and need a six figure salarie to pay it off and keep uncle bobo n the missus(his) in their lavish lifestyle. sorry, best wear those dog tags.

as for anybody else who may choose not to comply, well wtf, you dont get that publik option. mr. gov would prefer to know who you are and where you are and what yor up to at all times. Sometimes its leggit, as in you friggen terrorist are trying to pull down the sys. but mostly its just kah'ching driven. pony up there boy.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode