• 3 Post By cheezyridr
  • 4 Post By revrider
  • 1 Post By gwstang
  • 1 Post By glhadiator
  • 1 Post By Trapster

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-21-2018, 11:28 AM Thread Starter
Premium Member

Year/Make/Model: 2018 Kawasaki Vulcan S and 2008 Kawasaki Vulcan Classic LT and 2016 Honda Zoomer
Displacement/CC's: 650cc, 900cc and 100cc
Color: Black, white and silver
Send a message via AIM to Trapster Send a message via Skype™ to Trapster
Cool But All I Had Was One Beer

I'm no lightweight, I can drink 4 beers, hit the sack and wake up fine in the morning.
OK, ok, for some, 4 beers is mega lightweight, I knew a guy who drank a case of beer every night and he'd wake up fine in the morning and go to work. Two years later he died of a heart attack, he was 35.

But I'm not here about the evils of drinking, it's about the evils of drinking and driving.

I have absolutely no sympathy for drunk or impaired drivers.

There are many reasons, you all know them, but for me, I came very close to losing my life because of a drunk driver when we got broadsided. Which put a nice indentation in guard rail, ripped out the transmission and engine of a Porsche and I ended up with mouth full of broken glass. I walked away from that one, probably because he hit a rather solid Porsche with a VW Beetle. He was absolutely sh** fac** and he was more worried about hitting a Porsche then how we were.

In the early 70's I would drive up to a little mountain getaway and get totally plastered, then drive home. Back then, driving drunk was a badge of courage, it is now a badge of idiocy.

But this is not about telling stories, it's about telling that one personal story that shows just how impaired driving is with just one beer.

Mid 80's and I was living on a 32 foot Islander Sloop and the guy next to me was living on a 24 foot wooden racing boat. He asked me to crew for him and thus I learned the art of sailboat racing. From getting the spinnaker ready to hoisting the jib. In short order we were winning a few races and holding our own. Then one day as we were going around the buoy and we hit it, which we had to do a 360 deg turn around the buoy as a penalty which of course increased our racing time considerably. It was just me and the captain and he was really mad at himself. Since for all intent and purposes we were out of the race, he invited me to the cockpit where he broke out two cans of beer which was something we did after the race. I finished it, then all of a sudden he told me I had to go forward to get one of the sails ready. I had spent many hours on a the pitching bow of that sailboat and could do it all standing up with one arm wrapped around the forward stay (wire). After one small beer that I couldn't even feel, I could not for the life of me stand up, nor do anything that demanded any more then all my limbs on the deck. I was useless.

Again
After one small beer that I couldn't even feel, I could not for the life of me stand up, nor do anything that demanded any more then all my limbs on the deck.

Since a bike is all about balance and experience it only makes sense to be 100%.

It's not so much running into a truck that worries me after one beer, it is doing something simple like a u-turn and laying my bike over or hitting a pedestrian.

The other thing that bothers me, and is as American as apple pie, is the bike rallies that serve beer. I know people are more aware these day but still, mixing two wheels or any wheels with alcohol is a huge turn off.

Trapster
There is nothing nicer than a cold beer after a long ride.
Just keep the bike in the garage.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-21-2018, 05:56 PM
END OF YEAR BIKE 2018 Winner

Year/Make/Model: 2006 Classic LT (Buffy)
Displacement/CC's: 903
Color: Blue/Silver/Chrome
Garage
Riding and drinking = Bad idea

I dislike most riding clubs because their main activity is to ride bar to bar. Just because you're raising money for charity doesn't make riding and drinking alright. So...consequently I end up not riding with them. I refuse to ride group with anyone that has imbibed alcohol.

My first sentence pretty much sums it up.
revrider, Synycalwon and gwstang like this.

...On a Steel Horse I ride...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-22-2018, 01:49 PM

Year/Make/Model: Sold 16 Vulcan S ABS Cafe (replaced by Z900)
Completely agree! Mixing the two is very high risk and just asking for trouble. I love beer and have developed a high tolerance over the years but still won't touch the stuff until done riding for the day. When riding I want to be as sharp as possible especially with all the distracted drivers on the road these days!
glhadiator and gwstang like this.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-22-2018, 04:45 PM

Year/Make/Model: 2017 vulcan 900 custom
Displacement/CC's: 900
Color: black
when i was in my 20's one of the guys who used to hang with my crowd was a 24/7 drinker. he drove drunk all the time. he would fall asleep at stop lights, hit other cars when he would park. one night he ran a light, and broadsided a van. he killed a family of 8. grandparents, parents, and kids. an entire family gone. he was sentenced to 8 yrs in prison. one day, after he had been in a while, his sister talked about how much she missed him. a few of the guys said things like "poor dee jay". i was absolutely floored when i heard that. yeah, he was a like-able guy otherwise. but it works out to a year for each life he took. poor deejay? those people ain't never coming back. they're gone. an entire family gone because he considered his buzz a higher priority than the safety and well-being of others, and they paid the price for it. i said as much, and of course everyone thought i was being harsh. i don't think so at all.
revrider, glhadiator and gwstang like this.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-22-2018, 05:53 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2010 NOMAD
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Black/titanium
Garage
0 beers = bike
1 beer= truck
2+beers=she driving
Huge pet peeve is riding to a bar,,,unless it is lunch
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-28-2018, 08:31 PM

Year/Make/Model: 2004 Vulcan
Displacement/CC's: 2000
Color: purple
Wow, good advice on here for sure. When I got my first bike, 77 honda 550f, I got the mc license for on base (in the navy at Pensacola). Two of my buddies made E5 and had a keg party at the base enlisted club. Ice cold draft. MMMMmmm. I had two and then left to go to my apt off base. I realized very quickly that I was shaky and hard to keep my balance up straight. Just two large mugs! Scared me a lot, that was the last time I drank alcohol and drove any vehicle. Now the troopers have the "Beer Goggles" to let teenagers at school put them on and then try to drive. They go all over the course....lol (Maybe they could do the same exercise for a bikers rally?) It does make a good point for them and hopefully saves some lives. I hit high school in 1970 and it was hot rods/racing/ beer on Fri-sat nights. I never was a big drinker and glad of it. Gave it up altogether after my enlistment was up. Just never saw the need for it afterwards. What was really strange is that I could not tolerate hard liquor at all! One tequila sunrise/jack daniels n coke or such and I was puking later...strange thing. Must be some medical thing for that?
glhadiator likes this.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-28-2018, 09:25 PM
END OF YEAR BIKE 2018 Winner

Year/Make/Model: 2006 Classic LT (Buffy)
Displacement/CC's: 903
Color: Blue/Silver/Chrome
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwstang View Post
What was really strange is that I could not tolerate hard liquor at all! One tequila sunrise/jack daniels n coke or such and I was puking later...strange thing. Must be some medical thing for that?
Not strange at all. I've had the same physical reaction to hard liquor all my life.

I would love to see a movement in the biker community where they demo beer goggles to riders. Sadly Hollywood doesn't help.
gwstang likes this.

...On a Steel Horse I ride...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-28-2018, 11:14 PM Thread Starter
Premium Member

Year/Make/Model: 2018 Kawasaki Vulcan S and 2008 Kawasaki Vulcan Classic LT and 2016 Honda Zoomer
Displacement/CC's: 650cc, 900cc and 100cc
Color: Black, white and silver
Send a message via AIM to Trapster Send a message via Skype™ to Trapster
Cool

When I go on bike excursions with my buddies, we have a hard and fast rule, NO DRINKING unless we parked our bikes at the hotel and walk or take public transportation to a bar or restaurant.

Trapster
Nothing better than a cold one after a long ride
That is, after you put your scooter to bed
25% of all motorcycle fatalities are due to drinking
Another cause is drinking and being within the legal alcohol limit
Best advice, no matter what, do not drink and drive (or use legal or illegal drugs)
gwstang likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode