Cruiser lifestyle dying - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
 56Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-09-2018, 10:17 AM Thread Starter
END OF YEAR BIKE 2018 Winner

Year/Make/Model: 2006 Classic LT (Buffy)
Displacement/CC's: 903
Color: Blue/Silver/Chrome
Garage
Cruiser lifestyle dying

Images such as these are what is destroying the Cruiser Lifestyle.

I'm sure we all remember the Waco shooting along with the public eye. Three years later we are blessed with images like this one. Portraying bikers as Gangland killers. Many will argue that the bikers involved in this incident are gang members and do not represent bikers in general. However, I would ask anyone to look at this photo and tell me what they see.

I see bikers...cruisers. And that's what the general public sees. So that when they see me riding my bike they associate what I am doing with what they see posted all over the internet; dirty bikers drinking, riding and shooting each other!

This 'bad boy' image is what fueled the biker lifestyle decades ago. Promoting drinking, fighting and lawlessness.

And yet...you won't find a Kawasaki Cruiser in that photo.

Some months back there was discussion about how we need to change how the public perceives the Cruiser lifestyle. About how we need to promote the 'Cruiser' before it dies out.

Personally, I don't see how it's possible to change that perception.

I would like to do my part. Anyone have any suggestions how to counter this perception? How do we begin to change the public perception?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_copie-0_waco bikers (2).jpg
Views:	243
Size:	31.8 KB
ID:	210122  

...On a Steel Horse I ride...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-09-2018, 10:47 AM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 1995 Kawasaki Vulcan 500
Color: Black / grey
Nope no clue.
And that is why I believe that HD is having problems.
No young rider wants to be that image of a bike rider.

I guess you could NOT call them cruisers any longer, that might be the first step.
BUT it will take a long time to get removed from the image that has been around for a long time!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1995 en500 stock with windshield - 30,000 miles
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-09-2018, 10:56 AM
Lifetime Premium

Year/Make/Model: 2006 Vulcan 900
Displacement/CC's: 900
Color: BLACK
Garage
Unfortunately why somebody will get on a motorcycle when they can play Grand Theft Auto. Braising the elements is uncomfortable and meeting people just awkward. Much easier staying at home having a pizza rather than riding 100 miles for a bier.
eosterhout likes this.

post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-09-2018, 12:07 PM
CRU

Displacement/CC's: 1600
Garage
I wear a hi-viz graphics Arai helmet, a bright yellow Joe Rocket jacket, and gloves. No one would look at me and think 'dirty biker'. Don't dress the part and no one will think it.

2008 Mean Streak Candy Fire Red
Vance & Hines Big Shots Staggered exhaust
Dyno tuned Power Commander III & K&N air filter
Corbin Young Guns saddle/Kawi Fire & Steel "Touring" Double saddle
Mapam forward controls
Kuryakyn Constellation LED driving lights w/turn signals
Kuryakyn ISO grips w/stiletto end caps
Kawi OEM backrest
Kawi Fire & Steel windshield
Bad Ace Billet handlebar risers
Signal Dynamics BackOFF XP brake light module
Tourmaster Coaster tool bag
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-09-2018, 01:11 PM

Year/Make/Model: 2000 Nomad 1500 fi
Displacement/CC's: 1500
Color: Purplish Black Mica
1. Stop riding a Harley clone and get a bike that looks like a BMW or adventure bike or sport bike.

2. Dress like the ATGATT poster child.

3. Go to Sturgis bike rally this year and hand out flyers asking those nasty Harley riders to clean up their act so that people will smile and wave at you while putting down the street.

4. If all the above fails, get a scooter. Nobody will ever accuse you of being a biker ever again.
pgougal, Jadzu, DeathGrip and 5 others like this.
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-09-2018, 08:02 PM
Lifetime Premium

Year/Make/Model: 2010 Kawasaki Vulcan Classic LT
Displacement/CC's: 900
Color: Red/Black
Garage
Hmmm...my guess is...once Generation X, which is most likely the last generation to have the "Classic Biker Look" -defined as leather, patches, black t-shirts, and do-rags (all of which are portrayed in the pic)- die off...the new "Look" will take its place.

The next generation of "Bikers", if they decide to even call themselves that, will have established their own "look" and persona.

The result? People will still be uncomfortable around them...except now, they just look different than what we, Gen X'r and older, remember.

My parting thought?...Regardless of how you decide to style yourself while you are on your bike...treat people, both fellow rider as well as driver...with respect.
glhadiator and silverpugj like this.

"...These go to eleven."-Nigel Tufnel, Lead Guitarist, Spinal Tap
"I aim to please...but sometimes I hit the seat."-Buskman, Lifetime Premium Member, VulcanForums.com
post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-09-2018, 08:58 PM
Top Contributor

I wear a First Gear cold weather/all weather riding suit and my helmets are multicolored and adorned with Japanese script characters and graphics and ride conservatively. So far no problems with anyone suggesting that I'm a gang rider or dirty biker, and with my VN900 bike doesn't look those parts, either. Seems that any public negative concept of bikers is reinforced by bikers who fit the stereotype - noisy Harley, black leathers and riding gear, drink beer, etc. in public, and who ride more aggressively and even irresponsibly. I don't fit in with that stereotype.
glhadiator likes this.

'07 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Classic LT

Jesus is Lord
post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-09-2018, 11:59 PM
bkp

Year/Make/Model: 2017 Vulcan S ABS
Displacement/CC's: 649
Color: Matte Carbon Grey
Garage
If you can't change the world, just work on your little piece of it...

I live in a neighborhood of ranch houses and empty nesters... Lots of 60+ cruiser riders here (for the same reason that I recently switched to a cruiser -- the ergos are easier on my aging knees... We're in Georgia, w/ helmet laws, and most are full face.
I think lined leather is the ultimate in wind-stop and warmth in the winter, not to mention the ultimate in protection, so that's what I'll continue to wear (the jackets I like happen to only come in black, so no choice there). Once we're into the 70's I switch to Tourmaster mesh -- which the outlaws wouldn't be caught dead in...

My behavior on the road is *always* restrained (outside of the twisties), attentive, and considerate of other riders/cagers, so regardless of the leather, boots, and cruiser, my demeanor, riding style (and possibly the Drift cam and Sena hanging off a full face helmet) don't scream outlaw...

We're not going to flip 70 years of entrenched stereotypes... however, everyone in my neighborhood, and a few outside smile and wave back... It's a start...

Barry
2017 Vulcan S ABS Metallic Matte Carbon Grey

Keep your eyes open... the ones in the *back* of your head...
post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-10-2018, 06:49 AM Thread Starter
END OF YEAR BIKE 2018 Winner

Year/Make/Model: 2006 Classic LT (Buffy)
Displacement/CC's: 903
Color: Blue/Silver/Chrome
Garage
I love all the responses so far. But to be honest, I expected no less on this forum. What does that mean? It means that we are the type of biker that, IMHO, is a purist. We love the ride. It comes down to the love of the bike and the thrill of riding! A Kawasaki rider isn't interested in some niche lifestyle.

The clothing suggestion is probably the best option we can employ to detract from that bad boy biker image. It doesn't mean we have to give up leather. I dress in full leathers when I ride, but I don't portray the bad biker look.

I've always worn a full face helmet. Not just because of the protection it provides, but because they look cool! There is a guy here in my small town that rides a HD. He wears a Nazi helmet. Not kidding.

As for the 'ride a Sport bike' advice...nope. Don't get me wrong. I love Sport bikes. But they just aren't designed for long comfort rides like a Cruiser. Besides, it's the rider that can be a total ass, not the bike. People aren't turned off by the bike. It's the rider that sends all of the message. It's sorta like a gun. Guns don't shoot people, people shoot people.

I have tried the different bike clubs for the rides. But they all have an underlying common theme; bar hopping. Which is a real image tarnishing practice. Bikes parked in front of a bar. No matter what the good cause is that the ride is supporting, it still comes down to promoting drinking and riding. Most of these folks are HD enthusiasts. And there are a lot of them in my area. Unfortunately, the closest Kawasaki Vulcan club is hours away.

I love bikes. All bikes. I've owned many of them during my lifetime (even a few HD's). I feel that riding is wonderful therapy. And although I love riding with others, I cherish the solo ride most of all.

I start my mornings early with a cup of coffee browsing the internet for current news and events. I didn't much care for that 3/4 page pic of those Waco bikers. I just get so tired of that image being portrayed as the 'typical' biker. But it's like @bkp said, "We're not going to flip 70 years of stereotype."

...On a Steel Horse I ride...
post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-10-2018, 09:00 AM
bkp

Year/Make/Model: 2017 Vulcan S ABS
Displacement/CC's: 649
Color: Matte Carbon Grey
Garage
P.S. I was thinking about this last night... and I want to give some "credit" to Hollywood for perpetuating the bad-boy Harley (cruiser) rider image... Marlon Brando helped kick it off with "The Wild One," and most recently, "Sons of Anarchy" built on the stereotype... In 2014, Hollywood claimed credit for "saving Harley-Davidson," with SoA, which is ironic since HD sales are now deeply trending into the recesses of a huge crapper, and the Japanese cruiser market, while not spectacular, is doing much better...

'Scuse the rant, but I'm *really* sick of those Beverly Hills asshats glorifying everything they purport is wrong with society, from guns, to cruiser 'gangs,' to political elitism, while launching themselves into 1% fiscal heaven by embellishing and embracing the very role models and stereotypes they publicly rail against...

Rant over...
wolfy(TM), glhadiator and _Kodiak_ like this.

Barry
2017 Vulcan S ABS Metallic Matte Carbon Grey

Keep your eyes open... the ones in the *back* of your head...

Last edited by bkp; 02-10-2018 at 01:40 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode