1,378,000 km's and still going - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-06-2017, 12:08 AM Thread Starter

Year/Make/Model: 2007 VN900 Custom (heavily modded)
Displacement/CC's: 900
Color: plasma blue
Thumbs up 1,378,000 km's and still going

Jeez, I'm really not much of a ford guy after the last few years (replaced two 5.4's in my buddies F150's, plus dealing with our old 05 F350 (with that infamous 6.0.... don't even get me started on that train wreck).

But I really have to give credit where it's due. This is my 95 F250 4wd with the 351 windsor. It used to be an oil patch service truck, so it's been down each and every ultra rough rig & forestry road in western Canada, more times then one could count, all the while driven by at least 100 different people that really couldn't care less about it. I bought it off my old workplace, for $300. Back then it had 1,280,000 km's on it. Now over the last 10 years I managed to put another 100k on it. It's been an amazing truck. All original asides from wear items.

So 1,378,000 km's = 828,800 miles. Still use it every day at the farm, now it's just our fuel truck, often hauling over a ton of fuel to the equipment in the field every day.

They sure don't make trucks like this anymore. Barely burns a drop of oil too.

So a week ago I had this window sticker made up for it. Most people are speechless when they see it. Lol

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-06-2017, 07:11 AM
Lifetime Premium

Year/Make/Model: 2010 Kawasaki Vulcan Classic LT
Color: Red/Black
Garage
Umm...GrahamM??...ummm...crap...umm...first...I absolutely LOVE this story and even the truck itself for standing so tough under such usage for so long..you should be extremely proud of it....but...the logo's wrong, sir

It's a.."T"...not..a..."D". (winced)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ford Sign.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	11.6 KB
ID:	190522  

"...These go to eleven."-Nigel Tufnel, Lead Guitarist, Spinal Tap
"I aim to please...but sometimes I hit the seat."-Buskman, Lifetime Premium Member, VulcanForums.com
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-06-2017, 08:34 AM Thread Starter

Year/Make/Model: 2007 VN900 Custom (heavily modded)
Color: plasma blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buskman View Post
Umm...GrahamM??...ummm...crap...umm...first...I absolutely LOVE this story and even the truck itself for standing so tough under such usage for so long..you should be extremely proud of it....but...the logo's wrong, sir

You're right. I can't believe I didn't notice that. Argh.... I'll have to get him to make up a T and scrape off that D then.... hahaha. Frick. Thanks for pointing that out.

Last edited by MN-Rider; 05-06-2017 at 09:57 AM.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-06-2017, 09:58 AM
Lifetime Premium

Year/Make/Model: 2010 Kawasaki Vulcan Classic LT
Color: Red/Black
Garage
You are so welcome, my friend!

A truck with that kind of story needs all the respect it deserves.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-08-2017, 02:07 AM
Top Contributor

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buskman View Post

I saw that, too. I wasn't going say anything, but... The way it's currently written, it sounds as if Ford needs to build their Fords "tough".

I've got a Chevy Silverado almost 10 years older than your ford that runs really well for its age. And, it doesn't burn oil, either. Although, it does not have the mileage (approaching 95,000 miles) as your truck. I have had the rear-end rebuilt with new spider gears, new u-joints, rebuilt TBI, oil pan gasket and dizzy. Need to replace PS pump and related components. Other than that, the 350 runs strong. Oh, and this truck was stolen the week of Thanksgiving 2 months after I bought.

It disappeared on a Tuesday and got it the following Saturday. Only thing missing was the junk bed box. When I got it back, it had ripped up mail under the passenger seat, bolt cutters, men's "enhancement" pills, and a really nice med kit behind the bench, and a Walther handgun under the driver seat. Bed was loaded up with all sorts of crap.

Basically, when a cop found it at the side of the road, he stopped to check it out due to the crappy paint job. He found the VIN and noticed it was flagged as stolen. He calls me Saturday morning. Once I got to the location, he told me they found a male walking back with a 5 gallon cam full of gas (idiot ran the truck out of gas). They couldn't pin anything on him and let him go. Obviously, this didn't start well. First thing I noticed that wasn't right was the 60 day paper tag. It was dated in October when the truck was stolen in November. The male they found told them he was waiting on a title after he got it registered and insured. So, the paper tag came off and was given to the cop. I checked the glove box next. Guess what, MY registration paperwork was still there! I pointed that out and the cop started looking like maybe he should have kept that guy around. I also found a GPS device which the cop wanted, too.

The cop disappeared for a few minutes and came back. During his absence, I found the ripped up mail and gave it to him as evidence. The guy had given the cop his name and phone number so I could call and have him retrieve "his" stuff. I told the cop I wasn't going to do that for obvious reasons. None of the names on the mail had his name on it. Which, I also pointed out to the cop. BTW, if anyone around here is from Valley Center, KS, I feel sorry for you for having such idiots running your police force.

So, my folks show up so someone could drive the rental and I drive my truck home. Once I get back to my apartment complex, I start unloading all the crap in the bed and in the cab. This is when I found the hand gun. It was in rough shape, too. I called Wichita PD and the cops came by and retrieved the gun. Never told me the caliber, but I did notice it said "Walther" on it.

So, there's the story. Never in a million years did I think my truck was coming back. Because of the particular body style my truck is, they are becoming super popular and are worth more in pieces than whole.

When someone experiences what I did with my truck, it makes the bond much stronger. It'll be really tough to let this truck go if/when that time comes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20130902_001.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	190714  

I'm gone!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode