I guess some things never change - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-03-2017, 03:20 PM Thread Starter

I guess some things never change

Well it took less than three days since I bought my Vulcan 1600. This is the largest bike I've owned. I am quite impressed with it and in general, and am ecstatic about being on two wheels again after several years without a bike.

Monday morning I ran into a coworker who also rides and told him that I finally got a new bike. When I told him the make and model his reply was, "Man!, why don't you just get a Harley?"

I was never against Harley until I ran into crap like "So, when are you going to get a real bike?" again and again.

I've ridden in snow, freezing rain, single digit temperatures, and for hours in severe thunderstorms, but some people who trailer their bike to events have the nerve to get attitude with me about the make of bike I ride.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-03-2017, 03:53 PM
Lifetime Premium

Year/Make/Model: 2006 Kawasaki Vulcan
Displacement/CC's: 1500FI
Color: Ebony Black/Galaxy Silver
Garage
Talk is cheap, let it go like water on a duck's back.
Or you could always say, you know there is more than just (Ford, Chevy or Dodge, pick one) on the highway......

06 1500 Classic FI (Anniversary Edition)
Reward the truth, punish the liars...Ted Nugent
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-03-2017, 07:33 PM

Location: Crescent City Fl formerly Key West Fl -Formerly Detroit - Formerly Canada
Year/Make/Model: 2012 Vulcan Classic
Displacement/CC's: 900
Color: Dark Burgundy metal flake
A few comeback lines come to mind:
1. I couldn't afford the bike plus a pickup truck/trailer to haul it around.
2. I decided I wanted to keep that extra 10 grand for myself
3. I don't own any black t-shirts
4. I like to be able to smile when I am riding
revrider and Mick1956 like this.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-03-2017, 10:10 PM
Lifetime Premium

Year/Make/Model: 2010 Kawasaki Vulcan Classic LT
Color: Red/Black
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khaymen View Post
Well it took less than three days since I bought my Vulcan 1600. This is the largest bike I've owned. I am quite impressed with it and in general, and am ecstatic about being on two wheels again after several years without a bike.

Monday morning I ran into a coworker who also rides and told him that I finally got a new bike. When I told him the make and model his reply was, "Man!, why don't you just get a Harley?"

I was never against Harley until I ran into crap like "So, when are you going to get a real bike?" again and again.

I've ridden in snow, freezing rain, single digit temperatures, and for hours in severe thunderstorms, but some people who trailer their bike to events have the nerve to get attitude with me about the make of bike I ride.

The hardest Harley owner I've ever had to deal with...was my own brother.

I have absolutely no qualms with what type a'bike a grown adult chooses to ride. I respect their choice because I respect them as a fellow rider on two wheels.

I also know personally another Harley owner...he and his wife are just glad to ride and love it when I ride along with them.

To them, as well as myself...It's about the experience that riding brings. Not the brand of machine we're gettin' the experience from.

Don't repeat this quip to a hard core cruel Harley owner...but keep it in the back of your mind in order to keep your bike induced smile on your face...:

"98% of all Harleys ever sold are still on the road. The other 2% made it home."
Mick1956 likes this.

"...These go to eleven."-Nigel Tufnel, Lead Guitarist, Spinal Tap
"I aim to please...but sometimes I hit the seat."-Buskman, Lifetime Premium Member, VulcanForums.com
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-04-2017, 01:06 AM
Top Contributor

Garage
I caught a YouTube video the other day of a guy explaining "misconceptions of Harley Davidson". What a load of bull! This guy was trying tell everyone that "HD is 100% made in the USA!" Bull! Back when they were carb'd, guess who made those carbs? Keihin did. Guess where else you found that name? Most Jap bikes ever produced! Another point this guy tried to make was to justify the cost. He was like, "HD uses better materials than anybody else. The paint jobs alone are better than any other bike out there." Another point this guy tried to make was about how HD uses "top-of-the-line technology" in their bikes and proceeds to list off all the creature comforts built into the batwing on his HD. That's not state-of-art tech, those are creature comforts found on other large cruisers, too, at a much lower cost.

What pissed me off the most about this video was the lack of references to back up all the claims. It's hard to believe people can be so brainwashed as to believe what they bought is the best there is. Look at their "new" Milwaukee 8 engine. It still uses a single pin crank and a chain drive. Oh, and it has 8 valves instead of 4. Other than that, I think the only other improvement HD made were better water jackets around the jugs. I mean, come on. How long have other companies been producing 8 valve bikes? My VN900 has 8 valves and it's been around since 2006/7. The VN750 started production in the late '70's and it had 8 valves. 45+ years later and all of a sudden HD produces a revolutionary 8 valve engine. Unless HD changes who they are, I'll never own one of their bikes.

Kawaski has been the brand I have owned the most. I think their price point is spot on and I love the sound of the Vulcan engine. I did own a 2007 Honda VTX 1300C once. That was an awesome bike.
Mick1956 likes this.

I'm gone!
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-04-2017, 09:18 AM
CRU

Displacement/CC's: 1600
Garage
Brush it off, man. Some folks go through life worrying about what others think and making sure they fit in with the crowd. That's a sad way to live. If you like your bike, who gives a rat's ass what some lemming thinks. They have a say in what you should buy the day they pay for it.
GFISH, reggae5 and Mick1956 like this.

2008 Mean Streak Candy Fire Red
Vance & Hines Big Shots Staggered exhaust
Dyno tuned Power Commander III & K&N air filter
Corbin Young Guns saddle/Kawi Fire & Steel "Touring" Double saddle
Mapam forward controls
Kuryakyn Constellation LED driving lights w/turn signals
Kuryakyn ISO grips w/stiletto end caps
Kawi OEM backrest
Kawi Fire & Steel windshield
Bad Ace Billet handlebar risers
Signal Dynamics BackOFF XP brake light module
Tourmaster Coaster tool bag
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-04-2017, 10:58 AM
Lifetime Premium

Bike Of The Fall Winner 2017

Year/Make/Model: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic
Displacement/CC's: 903
Color: Silver
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRU View Post
Brush it off, man. Some folks go through life worrying about what others think and making sure they fit in with the crowd. That's a sad way to live. If you like your bike, who gives a rat's ass what some lemming thinks. They have a say in what you should buy the day they pay for it.
+1
I have a brother-in-law who owns a Harley and will not ride with me cause mine isn't. Believe me I don't loose any sleep at night. My son-in-laws dad has a Road King and when we ride he has to say "you have a nice bike". There's a guy that lives three houses down who believes the only true motorcycle is a Harley. That must be true cause I see him working on it all the time.
Mick1956 likes this.

"As long as I have the voices in my head, I'll never ride alone."

2006 Vulcan 900 classic
Mustang Day Tripper seat
Cobra Light Bar
Cobra Air Scoop
Cobra short sissy bar
Cobra Lowers
Baron's front and rear pulley
Baron's Big and Nasty pipes
Leatherlyke hard bags
Blue Superbrites LED accent lights
Chrome Woo Loo Air Horn
Avon Grips
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-04-2017, 01:59 PM

Haha, this is great!

Last August, before I bought the Vaquero, my Road Glide-riding buddy said I wouldn't be happy unless I bought a Harley. He of course knew me, and knew that what I really *wanted* was the Street Glide Special. The wife vetoed that purchase and suggested I find something else that fits the bill, and now I've got a Vaquero with 5k miles on it, and lots of smiles... and about $10,000 in the bank (or at least not on my loan, haha).

In recent chats, he's said that he wouldn't buy another Harley, because they're always needing some work done, and when you try to do it yourself, it's an all-day job and the parts still cost an arm and a leg.

Me, I just hop on my Vaq, no matter the temperature, and I know I'll get where I'm headed

On a related note, I had a buddy who rode a Suzuki SV650S (IIRC), and his neighbor said he wouldn't ride with him unless he got a Harley. Peer pressure, and wanting a more relaxed (read: slower) ride, both drove him to get a Street Glide. Granted, he's had it almost 10 years now, but his neighbor never did ride with him.

Meanwhile, my HD buddy, and Suzuki buddies, and Ducati-owning friends all will ride with me, and me them. I couldn't care less what ya ride, so long as it's got two wheels.

PS: My wife, who vetoed my purchase, found a 2013 HD Sporster 1200 for a STEAL 2 months later and upgraded to it (from a 2000 Honda Shadow 600). Then vocalized that she was kicking herself for not letting me get the SGS, since now SHE has a Harley and I don't. I figure somewhere down the road I'll own a HD, but until then, my Kawis treat me well, so I'll stick with 'em.

-John

2016 Vaquero (mostly stock)
2005 VN800B Bobber (Blue Collar Bobbers kits)
1979 KZ650SR
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-04-2017, 02:08 PM
Lifetime Premium

Year/Make/Model: 2006 Kawasaki Vulcan
Displacement/CC's: 1500FI
Color: Ebony Black/Galaxy Silver
Garage
As a Harley rider once wrote, I'll wrench on my bike while you ride yours....

I am not brand restricted, I have no problem riding with others on 2 or 3 wheels..

06 1500 Classic FI (Anniversary Edition)
Reward the truth, punish the liars...Ted Nugent
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-04-2017, 02:21 PM

Year/Make/Model: 2012 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Classic
Garage
I have a sportster, but my search for a bike that I could actually ride let me to the vulcan. My Iron 883 has custom paint, pipe, fuel controller, tank lift, 12" apes, a light kit, upgraded suspension and various other mods. It looks awesome parked in the corner of my garage now. The suspension still jolts my spine every time I run over a pebble, the bike vibrates too much even at idle I can see the front wheel almost bouncing, and the V&H exhaust is too loud even with 2 "quiet" baffles in each pipe. If I were running an errand into town I would have no problem taking the sportster but for anything over 30 miles or requiring highway travel I'll take the Vulcan.

But then again Harley guys don't consider Sportsters to be Harleys either.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode