Cost of gasoline is going up, ride more to save $$? - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 52 (permalink) Old 02-23-2012, 12:28 PM Thread Starter
V2K Rogue Wrangler

Cost of gasoline is going up, ride more to save $$?

Fodder for thought/discussion:

'They' are saying that gasoline may hit $5/gal by summertime.
What impact will this have on you?

I don't know what gasoline costs outside of the USA but the rising cost of fuel affects everyone.

How much does the cost of fuel influence what type of vehicle you drive?
Is it practical to expect to save money by purchasing a motorcycle and using less gasoline?
How long would it take to recover the price of the motorcycle in gasoline savings?
Are there economically priced cages that get 30+ mpg that you would cost about the same as a motorcycle?

Personally, I didn't buy my bike for fuel economy, but it does get more than double the mpg of my Crown Vic. I ride it as much as I can to help defray the cost of gasoline. Also, I ride it for fun on weekends and that is an expense that I would not have incurred if I didn't own the bike. I went from about 12K miles per year on my Crown Vic to less than 5K. ( I have a short 6 mile drive to work and we use my wife's cage for other driving )

Observation: We spend $200 to $300 per month on gasoline and even though I know I save $$ by riding the bike, I don't see our monthly fuel spending decrease!

Comments?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 52 (permalink) Old 02-23-2012, 03:08 PM
BOTM Winner, December 2013

yup cuz obama sets gas prices....insert eye roll here.....
post #3 of 52 (permalink) Old 02-23-2012, 03:18 PM

ok my bad..... then it obama's gestapo buddies from chicago that sets gas prices....

post #4 of 52 (permalink) Old 02-23-2012, 03:21 PM Thread Starter
V2K Rogue Wrangler

This is not going where I expected it to go.

Well, I deserve it for hijacking so many other threads...
post #5 of 52 (permalink) Old 02-23-2012, 03:34 PM
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaw-poke View Post
Fodder for thought/discussion:

'They' are saying that gasoline may hit $5/gal by summertime.
What impact will this have on you?

I don't know what gasoline costs outside of the USA but the rising cost of fuel affects everyone.

How much does the cost of fuel influence what type of vehicle you drive?
Is it practical to expect to save money by purchasing a motorcycle and using less gasoline?
How long would it take to recover the price of the motorcycle in gasoline savings?
Are there economically priced cages that get 30+ mpg that you would cost about the same as a motorcycle?

Personally, I didn't buy my bike for fuel economy, but it does get more than double the mpg of my Crown Vic. I ride it as much as I can to help defray the cost of gasoline. Also, I ride it for fun on weekends and that is an expense that I would not have incurred if I didn't own the bike. I went from about 12K miles per year on my Crown Vic to less than 5K. ( I have a short 6 mile drive to work and we use my wife's cage for other driving )

Observation: We spend $200 to $300 per month on gasoline and even though I know I save $$ by riding the bike, I don't see our monthly fuel spending decrease!

Comments?
1.) I drive about 30,000 miles per year and yes price of fuel made me sell my 2005 F-150 for a used 2004 Honda Civic back in 2007. Gas hit $3.97 that summer here for months (Note that was during Bush's last term. Also note that gas went over $2/ gallon for the first time ever under Bush. That being said, I don't think president's have $hit to do with the price of fuel, but to each his own.)

2.) Of course you can save money on a bike, but depends on what you buy and what you quit driving. My 500 gets 50 mpg on average sometimes more and sometimes less, so yes when make my 60 mile round trip commute to work it saves me about $4 per day in gas.

3.) As far as payback that depends on what bike you buy, cost of fuel, and again what you quit driving instead of the bike etc...If you pay $1500 for a used VN 500 and you park the SUV, assuming you drive at least 15,000 miles a year, that particular bike would pay back in about 1 year based on only fuel savings.

4.) You can buy a used compact and average 30 mpg for about $5,000 depending on your needs you can spend a lot more too.

Everyone's situation is unique and would vary based off of numerous factors, but yes, the price of fuel, has and does affect my habits and decisions.
post #6 of 52 (permalink) Old 02-23-2012, 03:34 PM

sorry kaw poke.....didnt mean to hijack..... just tired of all the blame obama crap that some people spew.......personally i wish he could serve 5 more terms .....will take at least that long to clean up the mess good ole G.W. made.....

anyways back to the subject....im sure there are a ton of cars out there that cost less than and get better mileage than a large touring bike.......and with a/c to boot.....lol
post #7 of 52 (permalink) Old 02-23-2012, 04:05 PM
Top Contributor

I will say this: I'm VERY tired of seeing oil/gas companies post ever increasing record profit numbers as they gouge the working man at the pumps. And it flat out pisses me off that we buy foreign oil, ship it home, turn it into gasoline and sell/ship it back. We have enough resources available to keep it all in-house, create new jobs and cut fuel costs; and when the fuel costs go down, well... we'll ride farther, have more money to spend when we get there, and boost the rest of the economy in the process.

Already a tussle going, so I won't name names on either side of the fence, but... The CURRENT group of yahoos isn't doing anything to help the US dependency on foreign oil, so there needs to be some sort o' paradigm shift. Agressive ingenuity leads to progressive success.

**I typed a lot more, but the simple statement above says enough**

As for me, I'll ride as much as I can, and when I can't, I'll drive my 32mpg import.

BACA Pretzel - Flyin' the highways in OK!
'08 Vulcan 1600 Nomad - "Grace"
Metallic Diablo Black/Candy Fire Red
LED Run/Turn/Brake
Vance and Hines Duals
Dobeck TFI
Kuryakyn Flame grips with Throttle Boss and Stiletto endcaps
Kuryakyn Longhorn offset highway pegs
Vista throttle lock
OEM light bar and luggage rack

B.A.C.A. Member, Oklahoma Chapter

Out to pasture - 2008 Vulcan 900 Custom: Redemption

Last edited by Pretzel; 02-23-2012 at 04:10 PM.
post #8 of 52 (permalink) Old 02-23-2012, 04:37 PM

lmfoa..obama could not bankrupt the country.. good ole george warmonger bush already did it for him !!! but hey at least gw made a lot of money for his haliburton family/friends
post #9 of 52 (permalink) Old 02-23-2012, 04:45 PM
Lifetime Premium

Garage
More we ride our bikes, less used in the cars, so price could come down some, but as long as there is potential conflict with Iran or other places in the middle east, then it will stay high or get higher, it is a World Gasoline Market now, no longer prices based on a U.S. market.

Roadie
2011 Vaquero

Amsoil Oil | TLC Bag Liners
Mini Beast Air Horn | Sagebrush Bag Chaps
Power Commander V | Cobra Tri-Oval SlipOns
Thunder Tornado Air Kit | Madcorider Oil Tempstick
Marvellas Trailer Hitch Kit | Rumbling Pride Flag Mounts
Utopia Drivers Backrest | Sagebrush Leather Tank Bib
Michelin Commander II Tires | Classic's Engine/Road Bar Chaps
Wind Vest 10" Smoked Windscreen | Avon Grips with RacNRay's Throttle Mod

4 Wheels Move the Body & 2 Wheels Move the Soul
post #10 of 52 (permalink) Old 02-23-2012, 08:11 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by big worm View Post
sorry kaw poke.....didnt mean to hijack..... just tired of all the blame obama crap that some people spew.......personally i wish he could serve 5 more terms .....will take at least that long to clean up the mess good ole G.W. made.....

anyways back to the subject....im sure there are a ton of cars out there that cost less than and get better mileage than a large touring bike.......and with a/c to boot.....lol
Now there is someone that has guts, i luv it (and agree with it)

2011 1700 Nomad
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode