Evidence to my disdain for the "watch for eyes" advice. - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-21-2015, 03:12 PM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2014 Kawasaki Vulcan Vaquero ABS SE
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Orange SE
Garage
Evidence to my disdain for the "watch for eyes" advice.

I've always loathed the advice that says "Watch for drivers eyes". The video below is from my helmet cam. An annoying-but-no-big-deal scenario where he pulled out in front of me but due to traffic and construction, I was traveling pretty slow and had plenty of time to react. Personally, I look at front wheels. Wheels don't lie. You really can BARELY see it in the video, so you might have to take my word for it, but he looks right at me not once, but TWICE, before making the decision to pull out. He either misjudged my speed or distance, or looked at me but never saw me (a well documented, published, and peer reviewed psychological phenomena in which during routine tasks, like sitting at a red light, our brains tend to filter out and ignore things; which can sometimes include motorcycles or even other cars, so we look right at them but it never registers).

As usual, it's probably better not to honk; because all they do is what he did; hit the brakes. That's when he obviously sees me, slows for a second, and then accelerates. I then accelerate relatively hard to get clear of the intersection since I had stopped in the middle of it. Video extends a bit so that his license plate is in clear view in case I decided to pass this along to local LEO's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJ5Ea33ri6A

If you hear distorted audio, especially a distorted stereo; that's due to YouTube. I had the radio on playing a copyrighted song (Tom Petty's "Free Fallin, and used YouTubes built in tools to remove the copyrighted audio to prevent a copyright strike/claim since I am a Youtube "Partner" and monetize my 'main' videos.

"8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS SE
iPod Connector Kit, Kuryakyn Highway Pegs, Mustang Touring Seat, Marvella's Hitch, Kuryakyn Trailer Wiring Kit, Haul-Master Tag-a-Long Cargo Trailer

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)

Memphis shades quick-release windshield, OEM Solo Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, Chrome Solo Luggage Rack

Past: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-21-2015, 04:04 PM
Top Contributor

Big ole motorcycle like that oughta have a louder horn! Need to scare em a little.

Yeah, I always wondered about the "eyes" thing too. But we do it instinctively - trying to see if they're looking at us. Best to keep an eye on those wheels, except for the hubs that never stop spinning!
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-21-2015, 05:08 PM
BOTM Winner
October 2015

Year/Make/Model: Classic
Color: Red / Silver
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romans5.8 View Post
...If you hear distorted audio, especially a distorted stereo; that's due to YouTube.
I didn't read the explanation until after I watched the video. I thought it was a muted, de-tuned mandolin playing monotonous folk music. I was wondering what kind of crap you listen to

Good video and decent lessen. Watch the wheels not the driver.

Go ride? NW Chicago suburbs

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Vulcan VN1700 LT
"Metallic Imperial Red / Metallic Titanium"
VBA Member 2908

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-21-2015, 05:41 PM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by redfish View Post
Big ole motorcycle like that oughta have a louder horn! Need to scare em a little.

Yeah, I always wondered about the "eyes" thing too. But we do it instinctively - trying to see if they're looking at us. Best to keep an eye on those wheels, except for the hubs that never stop spinning!
Well, the wheels are why I reacted so quickly. I noticed completely stopped wheels move forward and accelerate (not just inch forward) which set of the flags quicker than if I had been looking at the driver or just the car.

And yeah, I do need a louder horn. Though, again, all a horn does is make them stop (usually) in your path. Sometimes you're better off letting them keep going than having them stop in front of you. Something about a horn makes drivers stomp on the brake no matter what the actual situation is.

"8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

iPod Connector Kit, Kuryakyn Highway Pegs, Mustang Touring Seat, Marvella's Hitch, Kuryakyn Trailer Wiring Kit, Haul-Master Tag-a-Long Cargo Trailer

Memphis shades quick-release windshield, OEM Solo Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, Chrome Solo Luggage Rack

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-24-2015, 12:34 AM

Location: Deep in the heart of the NW part of a major metro area in the SE part of a very large SW state.
Quote:
Originally Posted by redfish View Post
This. Get a louder horn---a much louder horn, so they at least know they did something really stupid. My personal favorite is the Stebel Nautilus, but there are a number of others that will serve the same purpose just fine.

Next, after securing eye contact, looking for wheel roll, and, thus, confirming that everything's perfectly fine, assume that the idiots are going to do the wrong thing regardless.

You didn't get hit, nor did you run into anyone or anything, so you did well. Get a new horn regardless.

"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." - Ayn Rand
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-24-2015, 12:15 PM
BOTM Winner
June 2015

Year/Make/Model: 2008 Vulcan 900 Custom
Displacement/CC's: 903cc
Color: Two tone black and Canyon Copper Fade
Garage
Maybe it's just me, but I never look for the driver's eyes. Mostly because half the time they aren't visible because they are looking at their phones, or passengers or off in la la land. I always looked at the wheels/tires. If they are moving, the car is moving. Unless of course the brakes are locked up and they are sliding but that's pretty apparent too

For me, and apparently Romans as well, makes reacting happen a bit faster.

I had an almost devastating event unfold once that had me off my bike and yelling through the other person's window at a red light. My bike is not quiet. By any stretch. I was in my lane, cruising along and some jackwagon was beside me in the other lane and was on his phone texting while driving and decided to change lanes mid text without a look, signal or anything. I ended up veering into the median and back onto the road behind him luckily without laying the bike over or worse.
Yes I lost my cool and called that guy pretty much every expletive in the book, but he knew he messed up. For me I was glad that I have the habit of looking around at other drivers constantly and anticipating what they may do. The fact that I saw him on his phone alerted me that something could happen and just as I slowed down to let the texter move ahead (so I could keep a better eye on them) they decided to merge. Of course there were no cops around (here it's against the law to even hold your phone to your ear. Has to be hands free or it's a ticket) but there never are when stuff like this happens.

Funny thing was as I was getting back on my bike after loosing my cool, I walked past another car and the driver said "You shoulda hit him". I said "nah he got the point" and left it at that.

My point is, being alert and as TX stated "assume the idiots are going to do the wrong thing regardless" has saved my bacon more than once. I just didn't have a helmet cam to capture it all like Romans did.

Oh btw Romans, I ended up watching all of your vids last night after the video linked to in your original post here. Good stuff Brother.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-24-2015, 02:29 PM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

Garage
Probably the best advice I ever got was from my mother when I was learning to drive. She told me "Just assume everyone else is a moron." As usual, Mom was right. Assuming that a driver is going to pull out, run a light, not use a signal, slam on their brakes, lock them up for a yellow or gun it through a red, etc. etc., will save you every time. I also have a practice of ALWAYS looking closely at cars on adjacent roads or in the oncoming turn lane, with a hand hovering the brake lever. Ready to go in case something happens. That's saved my bacon a few times.

And thanks, DoomCrew. Glad you liked 'em.

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-24-2015, 02:51 PM
BOTM Winner
June 2015

Year/Make/Model: 2008 Vulcan 900 Custom
Displacement/CC's: 903cc
Color: Two tone black and Canyon Copper Fade
Garage
I remember the first time I took my lady on the back of my bike. After riding for a while she asked me while at a stop light, "Why do you always keep looking around? It's like you are never looking straight ahead." I told her that I was watching out for idiots and as I'm rotating my head from left to right or vise versa I'm watching the front too. Just being hyper vigilant of the space cadets. Especially when she's on the back.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-24-2015, 06:15 PM
wocka, wocka, wocka

Dont shoot till you see the whites of thier eyes?

never heard of such nonsense.. look at their eyes? where did that come from? you have so many other things to be attentive to, by time yor close enuff to see their eyes you wouldn't have time to do anything other than hit them.. or shoot them.. hmm, don't give me ideas.

besides people do not see with their eyes. even if they are looking straight at you.. their pee nut size brain is saying WTF is that? while theyr pulling out in front of you. All people see with their brain what they are programmed to see. You see a motorcycle in yor head when you even hear or smell one, They don't have clue what a mc is or why it would be a THREAT to them, so they pull out or do the dumbest thing your mother said they would.. they just don't know anybetter.. that's your job to protect you. if yor counting on them to do the rite thing is like your counting on your Government to (do the rite thing) be there for you when your old and unemployable.. ha, ha, ha, ha, you fell for that old switcheroo trik.?

SO.... how to make yourself visible? hm,,,, how about some flashing superbrite LEDs either yellow or white, perhaps alternating. wired to your flash to pass button, mite not get the LEO's too awful upset yor using their technique if not their colors red/blue.. The Idea is that you have to present a credible THREAT to anybody so that they FREEZE as opposed to ignore your presence on the roadway. but then they pull out in front of cops all day long,, so shitcan that idea.. poncho

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-24-2015, 08:42 PM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

Garage
Poncho, that's my point. It's common advice but I think it's bunk. And though the video doesn't show it well, that guy looked right at me, made eye contact, pulled out, and continued looking at me (or through me?) AS he pulled out, making a small hesitation to show that mid-pull-out he saw me, but STILL decided to keep on going. I could whine about how unfair it is or continue to be defensive and add it to my list of "no harm, no foul" scenarios. Flashing lights maybe? But it's not like my bright orange big motorcycle and my big butt on top of it is invisible. I can't prove it, but I always worry that headlight modulators are going to have a backfire effect of some half-paying-attention yahoo thinking you are encouraging them to pull out.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode