Window Tint Law for your State - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-07-2015, 12:45 PM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

Window Tint Law for your State

I know this is a motorcycle forum, but the topic has came a few times over the last few days (because I got a ticket over it, oops). Just curious of what you all think about it and what the legal limits are in your state. VA is pretty strict 40% I believe.

EDIT:

It is 50% front side
35% rear side
20% back.

1985 Honda Nighthawk 650 (First Bike)
2004 Vulcan 1500 Classic (First Big Bike)
2007 Vulcan 1600 Meanstreak (Love Affair)
1999 Yamaha 1100 V-Star Custom (Right Price at the Time)
2008 V2K Classic (Favorite Vulcan)
2014 HD Ultra Limited (Bells and Whistles)
Who would have thought I would grow up to become "Spatially Educated" and play Connect-the-Dots for a living.

Last edited by SWVA_08V2k; 05-07-2015 at 02:18 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-07-2015, 02:15 PM

I went to my eye doctor and got a letter that says I need tint. Funny thing, I've never been pulled over for it and both my wife's car and my truck have 15% tint.

Our law in WA: The maximum level of sunscreening material to be applied to any window, except the windshield, shall have a total reflectance of 35% or less, and a light transmittance of 24% or more

Last edited by Lakewood; 05-07-2015 at 02:38 PM.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-07-2015, 02:19 PM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

My truck metered at 17% on the front side and the rest is factory with is about 20%. I have had tint that dark for the last 8 years, but for some reason they wanted to write me. Looked like a new young state trooper.

Who would have thought I would grow up to become "Spatially Educated" and play Connect-the-Dots for a living.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-07-2015, 02:24 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2014 Kawasaki Vulcan Vaquero ABS SE
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Orange SE
Garage
In Missouri, Front windows are allowed only above the "AS-1" line, which I believe is where factory tint on cars usually is. Then it's 35% for driver and passenger windows; and any tint for rear window and rear passenger windows is allowed.

A big problem with Missouri though is municipalities. Especially the little bitty ones around St. Louis that have uh... been in the news a lot recently. (Ferguson? Ever hear of that one? They've mentioned it once or twice )Ones that are a city block in side and have a population of 150 and have a police department with 15 cops. They often have municipal ordinances banning all manner of things and often times, they are allowed to trump state laws. So you end up with tickets for basically turning down the wrong street, which isn't just a neighborhood, it's it's own dang city with it's own dang laws! Missouri is REALLY bad about that.

Looks like a friggin' jigsaw puzzle. Each of those little colors is it's own city, with it's own police department, it's own municipal ordinances, and often, it's own court.

What's equally bad are postage stamp towns out on windy roads. Those you have to be careful on a motorcycle! Cruising along on a 60mph 2-lane road. Then you come to a "city", which still looks like the same stinking farm, but there's a 25mph speed limit sign and a cop in a rusty 1999 Dodge Stratus (no joke, I've seen that! With a magnet that said 'police' on the side) sitting behind the speed limit sign doing the uh... "city fundraiser"! I've also seen these postage stamp towns with 'police cars' that are old rusty pickup trucks, you name it. And they often only have ONE cop, who is part time or volunteer, uses the old truck, and writes a few tickets. And that's their budget. Cities that really have no need to be incorporated and ought to just be a part of their respective counties and taken care of by the country sheriff. (But then, they don't get money when the Sherrif pulls you over!)

"8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS SE
iPod Connector Kit, Kuryakyn Highway Pegs, Mustang Touring Seat, Marvella's Hitch, Kuryakyn Trailer Wiring Kit, Haul-Master Tag-a-Long Cargo Trailer

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)

Memphis shades quick-release windshield, OEM Solo Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, Chrome Solo Luggage Rack

Past: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT

Last edited by Romans5.8; 05-07-2015 at 02:30 PM.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-07-2015, 02:25 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWVA_08V2k View Post
My truck metered at 17% on the front side and the rest is factory with is about 20%. I have had tint that dark for the last 8 years, but for some reason they wanted to write me. Looked like a new young state trooper.
Two of my BIL's are police officers and they both say a state trooper will write their grandmother for going 3 over. They said the way they are trained in most states is to be absolutely by the book no exceptions.

Crazy that factory stuff can be illegal. But sometimes it can!

"8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

iPod Connector Kit, Kuryakyn Highway Pegs, Mustang Touring Seat, Marvella's Hitch, Kuryakyn Trailer Wiring Kit, Haul-Master Tag-a-Long Cargo Trailer

Memphis shades quick-release windshield, OEM Solo Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, Chrome Solo Luggage Rack

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-07-2015, 02:33 PM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romans5.8 View Post
Two of my BIL's are police officers and they both say a state trooper will write their grandmother for going 3 over. They said the way they are trained in most states is to be absolutely by the book no exceptions.

Crazy that factory stuff can be illegal. But sometimes it can!
I know, it's nuts. A lot of folks buy the new lifted trucks for more money around here just because it gets them around the law. I wonder if you can order a truck from factory with a particular value of tint. I know the paperwork for mine said it had a UV coating and you could tell it was SLIGHTLY darker like 85% or something.

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-07-2015, 02:49 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWVA_08V2k View Post
I know, it's nuts. A lot of folks buy the new lifted trucks for more money around here just because it gets them around the law. I wonder if you can order a truck from factory with a particular value of tint. I know the paperwork for mine said it had a UV coating and you could tell it was SLIGHTLY darker like 85% or something.
Just take a wheel off. Then it's a motorcycle! Ha!

That was popular in the 30's and 40's, especially in Europe, where taxes on cars were high but were cheap on motorcycles. Enterprising folks figured out that a "car" had four wheels and so something with three wheels is, legally, a motorcycle! Everything from big steel enclosed things with a big motor to small, cheap, V-Twin powered "autocycles"

We're seeing them come back. Not because of taxes this time, but because of so many state, local, and federal laws surrounding cars, required equipment, etc. Don't get me wrong; a lot of it is good. Companies would gladly sell you a car that would kill you in a low speed collision if it meant they could sell twice as many of them. So it's nice to have some oversight to require the cars on the road to be safe for everybody. You can't drive around in an 18-wheeler with no brakes, for example.

But the "Elio" is the perpetually pushed back car that might, maybe, in the future come out. It's an enclosed, air conditioned, ultra high MPG three wheeler that will be licensed as a motorcycle (but in almost every state, will be exempt from the helmet law). While it'll have airbags, it's exempt from the very expensive safety and emissions testing (not the one you do on your car, the several-hundred-thousand dollar ones manufacturers have to do before they are allowed to sell the car). So, in theory, it's gonna be sub-$7,000 for a 2-seat car with A/C, heat, and windshield wipers. The Polaris slingshot as a cheap sports-car with three wheels so it doesn't have to have silly things like airbags to slow you down. And Morgan (the pic above) has even resurrected their 30's and 40's autocycle as a brand new model with a Mazda MX-5 transmission and a 125" S&S V-Twin.

So there's always ways around it! I guess if, after more than half a century they haven't closed the "autocycle" loophole, then they probably never will!

2012 Model Morgan: (By the way, my dream car. While the original Morgan was super cheap and a 'poor mans' way to get around, the New Morgan, and likewise, surviving originals, are in excess of $70k. But I would LOVE to own one.)

If I ever won the lottery I don't play, or inherited money from dead relatives I don't have; I think I'd buy a brand new Morgan and find an engineer willing to shoehorn a V2K motor in front. I think the S&S motor is pretty ugly and S&S isn't known for reliability. But a metric motor would take a lot of modifications because you'd be running it sans-transmission (feeding it through the MX-5 gearbox).

Last edited by Romans5.8; 05-07-2015 at 02:54 PM.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-07-2015, 02:54 PM
Lifetime Premium

Garage
As seen on British TopGear

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Proven to be true. Anything else we have to take our chances with
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-07-2015, 02:57 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonRumata View Post
As seen on British TopGear
Ahem. There is only one Top Gear. All others are imposters. Including whatever drivel comes after Clarkson, Hammond, and May now that they are gone. Besides, who else could tame the Stig?

Actually, I had heard about the original ones years ago. Jay Leno has one and I've seen his videos showing off the 'originals' and I had heard about them before. I just fell in love with the idea, the looks, everything. I would so love to take one of those on a long trip. The sound is just great (as a V-Twin of course). Then they came out again and I thought wahoo! But, then, the price. They are still handmade, and made of wood. "Back in the day", wood was a cheap building material and the people working on them worked for nothing. Now it's highly paid 'craftsman' working with wood because of 'nostalgia' or something. Frankly, the COOLEST Morgan ever would be one with a light aluminum frame and aluminum panels riveted on (a la WWII era fighter). Oh man, now THAT would be just about the coolest thing in the world.

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-07-2015, 02:59 PM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

A lot of the inspections I agree with that VA has a part of their yearly inspection, but some others are a bit on the picky side. No brakes and ball joints bad, yeah that is a good thing to check for. Oh all your lights are working except one of your fog lights. Oh you get rejected, but if you take them both out of the car then you pass.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode