Indians and Harleys....... - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-11-2015, 06:46 AM Thread Starter

Indians and Harleys.......

I have a local Indian dealer near here and spent some time there yesterday, my surprise was the number of harley's for sale, apparently alot of HD riders are trading them in for Indians. There was a beautiful '14 road king there root beer color w/5000mi. on her for $17,000 and could probably be gotten for alot cheaper. I would think the next phase of potential harley buyers will be to check out the Indians first, thus lowering sales on harleys. The chieftan is incredibly light weight feeling, for 800lbs of bike, you better like chrome, they glitter. I don't know why they don't offer an option of black saddlebags and seat on the roadmaster instead of that tan leather color, it really overwhelms the bike, being all you see when first looking at them. The classic needs a windshield and bags so it ends up being a $20,000 bike as well. I was told last year by a reliable source, that they plan on introducing a new model each of the next few years, hence i predicted last year that the scout would be coming forward, now my guess is a medium priced cruiser, perhaps a 1500cc for the rest of us hoping to buy one.......ride on.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-11-2015, 03:53 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
This could be good for all of us since the competition can only create a better bike in the long run.

2005 800 classic
2012 Voyager ABS
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-22-2015, 12:00 AM

I'd like to see them fit the scout engine into a standard configured bike as an alternative to the feet-forward, low-butt, cruiser it's in now. I like the 1100 engine, but the rest of the machine leaves me cold. I have a 2000 Vulcan now, and that's enough 'cruiser' to last me a lifetime, I don't want to fill the garage up with the things.

Hopefully, once Indian has the traditional basics covered, they'll show some creativity (as well as gonads), and bring out some machines that diverge from the 'traditional cruiser' template, something that Harley-Davidson lacks the courage to do.

The Indian dealership in Sturgis is owned by the Eide family, and they're something of an auto-motorcycle dealership dynasty in South Dakota. There always seems to be a large number of used Harleys in their inventory there, but I do know that they bring in Harley trade-ins from their other metric motorcycle dealerships in Sioux Falls to the Sturgis location, seemingly to make it appear that they have more HD machines traded-in on Indians that they actually do. At least that's my theory for there being so many Harleys there.

Regardless, though they've only been out for a couple years now, I bet there have been very few Polaris-built Indian Chief's traded-in on Harley-Davidsons during that time.

Last edited by JCBacklund; 01-22-2015 at 12:13 AM.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-23-2015, 05:06 PM

Garage
The Indian dealer where I live had about a half dozen fairly new H-D's in their used dept (which isn't very big as yet), but little else....I think one Ducati and maybe a Triumph. I'm startin' 2 c a number of those big thumpers around the OKC area lately, and except for that double-ugly front fender, they are dazzlers.

'07 VN1600
'08 FSC600
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-23-2015, 07:59 PM

Year/Make/Model: 2007 VN900 Custom (heavily modded)
Displacement/CC's: 900
Color: plasma blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by rick View Post
This could be good for all of us since the competition can only create a better bike in the long run.
Lol its Harley, Im not holding my breath in the absolute least.

Harley tried to produce a bike that would compete with the growing Japanese sport cruisers in the early 80's, such as the Honda CB line up and the like.

HD's was called the XLCR (or Excelsior), debuting in 1983. It was an 800cc V twin, but it was horrific. The vibrations would rattle your teeth out, and the bike failed in every way, it had nothing on the Japanese competition. So that bike was extremely short lived.

That failed attempt of Harley was quickly forgotten by the masses, quite happily from HD's standpoint. All in all HD went back to making the low performance immensely noisy slugs they always have, and always will.

Its funny, now rather then try to compete, their attitude is "If you own a Harley, you don't need to".

Its like.... well not being able to, may have quite a bit to do with that.

Last edited by GrahamM; 01-23-2015 at 08:07 PM.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-24-2015, 07:10 AM
wocka, wocka, wocka

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCBacklund View Post
The Indian dealership in Sturgis is owned by the Eide family, and they're something of an auto-motorcycle dealership dynasty in South Dakota. There always seems to be a large number of used Harleys in their inventory there, but I do know that they bring in Harley trade-ins from their other metric motorcycle dealerships in Sioux Falls to the Sturgis location, seemingly to make it appear that they have more HD machines traded-in on Indians that they actually do. At least that's my theory for there being so many Harleys there.
I'd expect it is just good marketing. they have to move that old iron. Hardley and Sturdges are synonymous with the mass of lemmings passing thru. It's a good venue to unload excess dead weight.

The Indian logo will bring more traffic to drool over, but most wannabees will ride home a hardley acquired on the cheap. biz is biz. Move em on out. poncho

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode