RANT: ISP's - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-03-2014, 10:20 AM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

Garage
RANT: ISP's

This is more of a combo rant and question post.

RANT ON: I am angry at the lack of variety from ISP's. More specifically, their cost to Mbps ratio (or lack of). I am currently paying ~$60/month for 50Mbps + monthly modem rental. Recently, my ISP (Cox Communications) doubled my speed for "free" from 25Mbps to 50Mbps. Great, right? At first, sure. However, I don't do enough on the Internet to warrant 50Mbps. So, I called them today to see if they could down-grade my speed. Well, they won't; at least, not without a fight.

Basically, Cox only has a limited number of speeds: 5, 50, and some higher speeds. Anyways, as I was speaking with the sales rep, I told her that my Internet demands do not warrant the 50Mbps and I was looking to cut my current monthly rate in half. Well, that idea was halted immediately. You see, if I down-graded to 5 Mbps, I would save only $5/month. A whopping 45Mbps difference and the best they can do is $5/month? Heck no! So, as the rep was rambling on to justify their stupidity, she told me something very interesting: the ONLY reason they offer 5 and ever 1 Mbps speeds is because other competitors in the area offer it, too. So, I told her, "If these other competitors weren't around, not only would you NOT offer reduced speeds, but you'd get to charge your customer base whatever you wanted. Sounds like a monopoly to me". She then goes on about how Cox offers free benefits such as cloud storage, virus protection, and free speed-boosting all of which I never use. I promptly cancelled the call in disgust.

RANT OFF: I am seriously considering cancelling their service and use what I have from my cell phone carrier. I can do pretty much the same thing on my cell phone as I can on my PC minus playing online games and such. I have a 2 Gb allotment on the phone that I barely use (about 30% most months). As long as I can pay bills on the phone, and visit the websites I need, I should do just fine.

Anyhoot, here's the question part: has anyone here done anything similar? Just cancelled their ISP service and roughed it on their cell phone; or, do away with the Internet altogher? For someone who's been with the Internet since it was made public back in the 90's, I may have a tough time not having it at first. Kinda like going through withdrawals and such.

Anyways, I am interested in reading some success stories (if any).

I'm gone!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-03-2014, 10:45 AM
Lifetime Premium

Garage
Like you I've been on the"internet" since it went public. Heck, I used to work for one. I understand the frustration of paying so much but here's an idea - ISDN.

It's god-awful slow compared to cable but in some states it is subsidized and doubles as your phone line. Before I lived in an area that had cable internet it was what saved me from using standard dial-up.

Another thing to look into would be WISPs. They're the competitive market right now and may be willing to work with you more on rates than the cable/telcos will.

Another option of questionable legality is:
Neighbors with WifI? Is it wide open? Can you piggyback on it? Do they care? Would they be willing to give you access and let you pay $10 a month?

Finally I could make do with my cellphone internet except for gaming. If I had to cancel my internet that would be the only thing that kept me going except for public hot-spots. The internet is just too convenient a source of misinformation that I'd have a hard time breaking away from it for too long

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Kevin W
STL Missouri
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-03-2014, 10:46 AM

I cancelled my cable internet service and went with DSL. It was half the price. THe customer service I received from Comcast was bad. THe speeds never matched what they listed, 1Mbs was my average on a 50Mbs connection. When the tech checked it he could not find a problem as said if I wanted higher speeds to get the 300Mbs business package. That was when I cancelled the service and got the DSL at 6Mbs and I get what I pay for there.

Live life like there is no tomorrow
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-03-2014, 11:11 AM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by strublet View Post
I cancelled my cable internet service and went with DSL. It was half the price. THe customer service I received from Comcast was bad. THe speeds never matched what they listed, 1Mbs was my average on a 50Mbs connection. When the tech checked it he could not find a problem as said if I wanted higher speeds to get the 300Mbs business package. That was when I cancelled the service and got the DSL at 6Mbs and I get what I pay for there.
I would go with DSL, but ATT is the only provider here. Their rates are just as bad as cable: 29.95 for 3Mbps; 34.95 for 6Mbps; 44.95 for 18Mbps; and 54.95 for 24Mbps. Those are quoted with a $16.05 discount for 12 months. It seems other parts of the US are getting better rates than me. Seems unfair, IMO.

EDIT: No one in my area has open wifi. My PC is hard lined into the modem since it's the only one in the home. As for the gaming, I've been trying to get away from it mainly because the companies have a hard on for pumping vast quantities of crap titles. Really, about the only game I am waiting for atm is GTA V for my PC. Other than that, I really don't do much gaming wise anymore.

I'm gone!

Last edited by crazyriderguy; 10-03-2014 at 11:14 AM.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-03-2014, 12:07 PM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

Garage
Well, I did it. I liberated myself from my ISP. My phone is all setup to take over now.

I'm gone!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-05-2014, 03:32 PM

The thing that pisses me off is that it literally doesn't cost them hardly anything more to give you 50MB/s than it does for them to give you 5MB/s, so the difference is all in the fat guys pocket. I'm really looking forward to when all this google fiber stuff chokes out all of the ISP companies ridiculous rates.

'97 Vulcan 1500 Classic 88
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-05-2014, 03:37 PM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

Garage
Well, I did find an open access point. However, I'm only getting 20KB/s +/-. Just fast enough to browse non-picture heavy websites. At those speeds, it's hardly called stealing.

I'm gone!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-05-2014, 04:49 PM

Better than dial-up.

'97 Vulcan 1500 Classic 88
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode