Why did you upgrade your exhaust? - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-01-2014, 09:21 PM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

Garage
Why did you upgrade your exhaust?

Or why did you choose a bike with a loud exhaust already installed? Did you take any consideration of how those around you would be affected by the louder exhaust (IE neighbors)?

I am curious to read the responses to this thread. My answer is three fold: 1) having the exhaust already installed meant I didn't have to buy it; 2) I like to hear the engine; and 3) I did not consider how my neighbors would feel about a loud bike.

What is your response?

I'm gone!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-02-2014, 08:24 AM
Top Contributor

I like the sound of the engine, my exhaust isn't obnoxious loud like my neighbors HD, 2 doors down from me and his is annoying!

In God I Trust, all others, Bring Data!
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-02-2014, 11:03 AM
JBacklund

In my case, the question should be: why didn't I 'upgrade' my exhaust?

My stock 2006 was loud enough for me when I bought it last fall and I felt no need to make it louder. The engine on this thing sounds great even with stock mufflers and fairly roars under acceleration. From the rider's seat I can hear this motor just fine, and I don't care about the guy a block away 'appreciating' my bike's sound, he can buy his own damn motorcycle. I guess I'm just selfish that way. The stock Vulcan 2000's engine sound projects muted power...walks softly, but carry's a big stick, as 'Teddy' once said.

I'm supposed to be at work at 6:00 AM, and if I take a bike I need to leave by at least 5:15 to 5:30 AM at the latest. My neighbors appreciate my V2K's considerate nature in this regard and I'm happy to not wake anyone up when I take a motorcycle to work.

I also don't feel that my V2K needs any more power than it already has, not that a noisier exhaust will always give it substantially more snot anyway. For me, 116hp is plenty for this machine, and if I absolutely have to go faster, I'll take my ZX14 and just get it over with.

I Bought a 2004 Sportster XL1200R about a month ago, it came with a pair of 'Screaming Eagle II' slip-ons on it, I couldn't wait to 'upgrade' it back to stock mufflers, which I did within two weeks of owning it.

Last edited by JBacklund; 06-02-2014 at 12:10 PM.

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-02-2014, 11:52 AM
Top Contributor

Well I have always lived in places where the neighbors are far enough away that they don't care, or they are more obnoxious that I am . I have only purches one set of pipes for a bike, all of mine have had them already installed when i got them. My old Honda Nighthawk and factory pipes, my 1500 Classic had long pipes with no baffles (did not know brand, was on it when I got it), my 1600 Meanie I purchased V&H Big Shots for it, rode with the factory pipes for 4 days. 99 VStar 1100 had Cobra Slip-ons (on the bike when I got it), My V2K had factory pipes on it, by this point in my life I started liking the quieter pipes but I did consider changing them because I was dragging them while 2 up. Now My Ultra Limited has the Screaming Eagle Slip-ons, but they are not any louder than the factory pipes, just sound different.

So long story short, I used to like all the noise and being a punk kid sounding them off everywhere and did not care how it sounded, just that it was loud to not really liking the noise, but if they have a good sound and sitll some what quite, they are ok in my book.

1985 Honda Nighthawk 650 (First Bike)
2004 Vulcan 1500 Classic (First Big Bike)
2007 Vulcan 1600 Meanstreak (Love Affair)
1999 Yamaha 1100 V-Star Custom (Right Price at the Time)
2008 V2K Classic (Favorite Vulcan)
2014 HD Ultra Limited (Bells and Whistles)
Who would have thought I would grow up to become "Spatially Educated" and play Connect-the-Dots for a living.
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-02-2014, 01:46 PM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

Garage
Interesting read so far.

So, let's say you came across an opinion forum and you found negative posts about loud bikes. Some posts say we bikers are stupid and brainless; while others comment on how our loud bikes cause suffering and misery to others. How would you defend your position in both owning a bike and owning a bike with loud pipes?

Go!

I'm gone!
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-02-2014, 03:34 PM
JBacklund

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyriderguy View Post
Interesting read so far.

So, let's say you came across an opinion forum and you found negative posts about loud bikes. Some posts say we bikers are stupid and brainless; while others comment on how our loud bikes cause suffering and misery to others. How would you defend your position in both owning a bike and owning a bike with loud pipes?

Go!
This topic has been beaten to death, but I'll beat it some more. There are usually four reasons for having 'loud pipes'. I'm not being critical or arguing for or against any of them here, just stating them as I understand it.

1. It's justified as a safety measure, as in 'loud pipes save lives'.

2. It's justified as a performance increasing measure.

3. It's justified as simply a personal preference to ride a motorcycle that's louder than stock.

4. It's a defiance thing, so f#*k you if you don't like it.

For any given individual, it can be any one of the above, or any combination of #1-#4, including all of them.

I think that that's about it. Maybe others will add a few more that I can't think of at the moment, but I'm pretty sure I've covered the basics.

Last edited by JBacklund; 06-02-2014 at 03:37 PM.

post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-02-2014, 03:42 PM
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBacklund View Post
This topic has been beaten to death, but I'll beat it some more. There are usually four reasons for having 'loud pipes'. I'm not being critical or arguing for or against any of them here, just stating them as I understand it.

1. It's justified as a safety measure, as in 'loud pipes save lives'.

2. It's justified as a performance increasing measure.

3. It's justified as simply a personal preference to ride a motorcycle that's louder than stock.

4. It's a defiance thing, so f#*k you if you don't like it.

For any given individual, it can be any one of the above, or any combination of #1-#4, including all of them.

I think that that's about it. Maybe others will add a few more that I can't think of at the moment, but I'm pretty sure I've covered the basics.
Forgot "Vanity", the noise goes good with the pirate suites for the "posers" in this world. Got to have the full image going on.

1985 Honda Nighthawk 650 (First Bike)
2004 Vulcan 1500 Classic (First Big Bike)
2007 Vulcan 1600 Meanstreak (Love Affair)
1999 Yamaha 1100 V-Star Custom (Right Price at the Time)
2008 V2K Classic (Favorite Vulcan)
2014 HD Ultra Limited (Bells and Whistles)
Who would have thought I would grow up to become "Spatially Educated" and play Connect-the-Dots for a living.
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-02-2014, 04:01 PM

Garage
If they do not know you are there, they will kill you. They will feel bad about it but you will be dead. Distracted driving is worse than it has ever been. I crawl out of my neighborhood out of respect. Make no mistake about it sir, some of these same people you speak of having consideration for will tailgate you, play with there phone, cut curves etc. etc. etc. If they do not like the noise there are Real Estate agents waiting for their phone call. Ride safe if possible...
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-02-2014, 04:30 PM
JBacklund

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuyahoga View Post
If they do not know you are there, they will kill you.
They've had forty-five years to kill me and they haven't succeeded yet. As long as I know where they are, it doesn't matter if they know where I am. No more riders get killed on Goldwings than riders on loud bikes, quite possibly even less, and their bikes are virtually silent. How can that be?

I also own a GL1800, and as quiet as that thing is, it presents no more risk riding it than any of my other bikes. Ultimately, safety lies with the rider, not the machine.

Last edited by JBacklund; 06-02-2014 at 04:35 PM.

post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-02-2014, 05:43 PM

Garage
Continued good luck to you. Your guardian angel is surely with you. 45 years of safe riding cannot be challenged! Myself, I have a face made out of titanium and a neck made from parts of my hip. Oh, and my knees have zippers. Ride safe...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode