Feelin Guilty - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-25-2014, 10:49 PM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

Feelin Guilty

Dangit!

Every since I decided to try my hand with this motorcycle thing at this later stage in life, our (my sweet wife & myself) regular routine has sure changed. Since retiring from a long stretch of running our own small business we have spent countless days & hours on the west coast of Florida whiling away our time fishing & enjoying our rural neighbors in the little town of Suwannee, Florida. Crabbing & Mullet fishing off the seawall, gathering oysters and shucking by the campfire with our friends, trolling for Kingfish & Spanish Mackeral, hunting those elusive artificial reefs for Sheepshead, feeling that rod bend countless times under pressure from big Spotted Seatrout and Redfish, and boating the king of them all, the mighty Red & Gag Grouper. The sunsets, the wildlife, this is a beautiful earth and weíve had a wonderful eight years. But I spoiled it all. I bought a dang motorcycle. And it gradually crept into our nirvana existence. It consumed me, but not her. And Iím feeling guilty cause no matter how hard I try; it just doesnít fit into our lifestyle. Now Iím planning a motorcycle adventure, thinking maybe if the old bones cooperate Iíll hit the road for days, maybe even weeks, knowing my wonderful wife will be without a boat captain during the best fishing time of the year! Thatís hard and itís eating at me. All my friends are downright sane and I do catch the rolling of the eyes, but Iíve seen that before when at 50 I decided to fly like a bird.

But Iím still here. And plan on stayin here and settling in one day, but not just quite yet.

Still feelin guilty though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-25-2014, 11:43 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
Why feel guilty? If you have lived your life in such a way as to be able in your retirement to afford to do as you will then do it. I only hope that one day in my retirement I am able to be shoulder to shoulder going down life's highway doing the same thing.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-26-2014, 02:16 AM
Lifetime Premium

Bike Of The Fall Winner 2017

Year/Make/Model: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic
Displacement/CC's: 903
Color: Silver
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by redfish View Post
Dangit!

Every since I decided to try my hand with this motorcycle thing at this later stage in life, our (my sweet wife & myself) regular routine has sure changed. Since retiring from a long stretch of running our own small business we have spent countless days & hours on the west coast of Florida whiling away our time fishing & enjoying our rural neighbors in the little town of Suwannee, Florida. Crabbing & Mullet fishing off the seawall, gathering oysters and shucking by the campfire with our friends, trolling for Kingfish & Spanish Mackeral, hunting those elusive artificial reefs for Sheepshead, feeling that rod bend countless times under pressure from big Spotted Seatrout and Redfish, and boating the king of them all, the mighty Red & Gag Grouper. The sunsets, the wildlife, this is a beautiful earth and weíve had a wonderful eight years. But I spoiled it all. I bought a dang motorcycle. And it gradually crept into our nirvana existence. It consumed me, but not her. And Iím feeling guilty cause no matter how hard I try; it just doesnít fit into our lifestyle. Now Iím planning a motorcycle adventure, thinking maybe if the old bones cooperate Iíll hit the road for days, maybe even weeks, knowing my wonderful wife will be without a boat captain during the best fishing time of the year! Thatís hard and itís eating at me. All my friends are downright sane and I do catch the rolling of the eyes, but Iíve seen that before when at 50 I decided to fly like a bird.

But Iím still here. And plan on stayin here and settling in one day, but not just quite yet.

Still feelin guilty though.
Man everything you said sounded great except for that one word....wife. When I went through my mid life crisis( I was still rather young) I just got rid of the wife. NOW that may not work for all you guys out there but it's been pretty great for me. Good luck with your problem.

"As long as I have the voices in my head, I'll never ride alone."

2006 Vulcan 900 classic
Mustang Day Tripper seat
Cobra Light Bar
Cobra Air Scoop
Cobra short sissy bar
Cobra Lowers
Baron's front and rear pulley
Baron's Big and Nasty pipes
Leatherlyke hard bags
Blue Superbrites LED accent lights
Chrome Woo Loo Air Horn
Avon Grips

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-26-2014, 07:41 AM
Lifetime Premium

Year/Make/Model: 2017 Kawasaki Vaquero
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Red
Been married long enough that the ol' lady is glad to have me out of her hair on occasion. At least that is my excuse!

Jerry "Old Bear" Barker
Clarksville, TN
Americas Guardians PS MC
Tennessee 16-A Chapter
"Blaze" 2017 Vaquero
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-26-2014, 08:31 AM
Administrator

Year/Make/Model: 2008 Honda Goldwing Level3
Displacement/CC's: 1800
Color: Pearl White
Garage
You mention your trip comes during the best fishing season, could your trip be scheduled to a different time of year? She happy, you happy?
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-26-2014, 10:37 AM
Top Contributor

Garage
Dare I say, my wife loves riding as much as I do. It's what we do together. We take a couple week-long trips and more overnighters than I can count every summer. Now that doesn't help you much, and you been married plenty longer than me if you're retired, so I can't offer any advice you ain't already heard or given out yourself. But I'll go ahead and say some stuff anyway.

Before we had the bikes, I spent a lot of time doing a lot of other hobbies, none of which I shared with my wife. A lot of this stuff was with old friends, and so the activities and relationships went back farther than my wedding or engagement or any other aspect of the relationship with my wife. But we made the effort to find our happy medium for the things we liked to do together, and I had ample time to screw around with my buddies. And I'm still 30 years from retirement, so if I got time for it, you should too!

I know it's tough to choose between the things you like to do. I like shooting guns, and riding motorcycles...but every time I have enough money for another gun, somehow my XR ends up with some shiny bauble instead. Or her Vegas does. Oh well, priorities.

OURS
2011 Victory Cross Roads, crimson red

"There is only one God, and His name is Death. And there is only one thing we say to Death: 'not today.'"
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-26-2014, 11:00 AM
Top Contributor

Hmmm does you wife mind if you ride off by yourself ? If she does not, then count your blessings. If she does mind then try to work a compromise, some boating with her and some bike trips for you. We go boating with another couple sometimes in their pontoon boat, that is very enjoyable, also at night.

My situation is more like Luciferiad's, although I did not envision it being that way when I thought about buying another bike after yrs of not having one. I thought I would ride off alone and become one with myself and all that other stuff you hear bout folks doing.

But turns out my wife wanted to ride every single time I go. She never complains, or says anything negative. She just rides wherever I want to go and as long as I want to go. In fact she'd have her own bike if it were not for her Multiple Sclerosis that affects her coordination.

When I used to ride PGR I did put my foot down on that one. That was "my" time to comradery with old vet friends. And I knew she could never take the long flag lines standing in the heat anyway. But lately my knee has forced me to not ride with the PGR so it's just the two of us now all the time.

It can be good either way. Hopefully you can both work it out.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-26-2014, 12:15 PM
Lifetime Premium

All I can think of is 'mullett'-- I automatically picture 'Joe Dirt'.... Everything else seems like my dreams have come true (especially the loving wife)),, I to had one of 'those' wife (ex)-- now life is just grande..
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-26-2014, 12:25 PM

Maybe you can work a trip in that allows both of you to enjoy the ride.......
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-26-2014, 12:50 PM
Top Contributor

Easy! Ride somewhere she wants to go, but you get to pick the route. That way you can can enjoy the ride and she gets to visit places she wants to go.

Retirement is a distant dream for me right now any way (29 yo). But I do have a wife that enjoys getting her hands dirty working on the vehicles and riding so usually the only issue I have taking off and riding is if she is not with me, lol.

1985 Honda Nighthawk 650 (First Bike)
2004 Vulcan 1500 Classic (First Big Bike)
2007 Vulcan 1600 Meanstreak (Love Affair)
1999 Yamaha 1100 V-Star Custom (Right Price at the Time)
2008 V2K Classic (Favorite Vulcan)
2014 HD Ultra Limited (Bells and Whistles)
Who would have thought I would grow up to become "Spatially Educated" and play Connect-the-Dots for a living.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode