Shipping the motorcycle - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-23-2014, 02:29 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Year/Make/Model: Vulcan 900 Custom
Shipping the motorcycle

Hey y'all.

Has anyone had any experience in shipping their motorcycle?

I am doing a permanent change of station (PCS) move for the first time with the USCG. I know that I'm allowed to put my motorcycle as part of my household goods for the gubmint to move.

Supposedly it's done the right way, crating up the bike, and what not. But I've not done it before, and I don't know anyone else that's had their bikes shipped, much less had them part of their official move.

If you've done it as part of your PCS, has it taken long to get to your new station? I'm only going to be at mine for about 8 months, but I think that's long enough for this to be authorized. If it takes longer than a month, I'd rather just tow it.

If you've just shipped your bike in general, what kind of experience am I looking at? Did your company put it on a flat bed, or was it crated? How did it look at the other end?

I know that these guys are insured and everything like that, but I'd rather rest well, knowing my baby's going to get there looking the way she does now, and not have to worry about fixing anything.

Thanks y'all!

2007 Vulcan 900 Custom
-Bubs Jug Huggers exhaust
-Power Commander III
-Baron BAK
-Kuryakyn grips and pegs
-Fire and Steel Light Bar
-Low and Mean fender and radiator shroud
-Custom Speedometer
-Memphis Shades Batwing (9"visor w/s, lowers)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-23-2014, 05:10 PM
Lifetime Premium

Bike Of The Fall Winner 2017

Year/Make/Model: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic
Displacement/CC's: 903
Color: Silver
Garage
Where ya going??

"As long as I have the voices in my head, I'll never ride alone."

2006 Vulcan 900 classic
Mustang Day Tripper seat
Cobra Light Bar
Cobra Air Scoop
Cobra short sissy bar
Cobra Lowers
Baron's front and rear pulley
Baron's Big and Nasty pipes
Leatherlyke hard bags
Blue Superbrites LED accent lights
Chrome Woo Loo Air Horn
Avon Grips
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-23-2014, 08:17 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Year/Make/Model: Vulcan 900 Custom
Yorktown, VA. Once I'm through with all the training I need, I'm hoping to get a stationed in Colorado.

2007 Vulcan 900 Custom
-Bubs Jug Huggers exhaust
-Power Commander III
-Baron BAK
-Kuryakyn grips and pegs
-Fire and Steel Light Bar
-Low and Mean fender and radiator shroud
-Custom Speedometer
-Memphis Shades Batwing (9"visor w/s, lowers)

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-24-2014, 07:58 AM
Top Contributor

Shipped mine once. Went to a local dealer and got a factory shipping crate from a new bike. Worked like a charm and Dealer gave me the crate for free. It takes some effort to partially dismantle the bike and pack everything securely. It's worth the effort though. If they make it from Japan to here in them I believe that re-using them across the U.S. should be easy enough. Good Luck! (If you're going to be moving again, maybe you can hold on to the crate and use it a 2nd time?)

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-24-2014, 01:47 PM

No experience shipping a bike, but I do have experience with letting the gooberment take care of a move for me....

Stuff suddenly grows legs and mysteriously walks away.

Stuff gets broken.

Stuff you don't own somehow ends up in your house.

Aaaaand.... it puts money in your pocket to DITY. Or it DID at one time. I ended up with around $400 extra in my pocket. Because they gave me an allowance up front for the truck, and I managed to get it much cheaper.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

Come if you must, but only if you must. For the day you find yourself upon my step will surely be the night you find peace along Jordan's edge.

Without the rain, we'd never appreciate the sun~E.S.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-24-2014, 05:40 PM

My son in law just returned from 4 years stationed in Hawaii. Took 6 weeks for their belongings to get to NY but everything arrived in perfect condition including his bike. It was inside one of the crates. First by ship then by truck. Took the guys 30 minutes to open the crate. It was well packed and securely strapped down. They packed everything in so much paper and protection it was crazy but all made it here without issue. Good Luck and thanks for your service.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-24-2014, 08:41 PM
Lifetime Premium

Bike Of The Fall Winner 2017

Year/Make/Model: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic
Displacement/CC's: 903
Color: Silver
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramdam1 View Post
My son in law just returned from 4 years stationed in Hawaii. Took 6 weeks for their belongings to get to NY but everything arrived in perfect condition including his bike. It was inside one of the crates. First by ship then by truck. Took the guys 30 minutes to open the crate. It was well packed and securely strapped down. They packed everything in so much paper and protection it was crazy but all made it here without issue. Good Luck and thanks for your service.

My daughter and son in-law went to Hawaii. of course the military moved them. All turned out well. I got to go to Hawaii twice, great place.

"As long as I have the voices in my head, I'll never ride alone."

2006 Vulcan 900 classic
Mustang Day Tripper seat
Cobra Light Bar
Cobra Air Scoop
Cobra short sissy bar
Cobra Lowers
Baron's front and rear pulley
Baron's Big and Nasty pipes
Leatherlyke hard bags
Blue Superbrites LED accent lights
Chrome Woo Loo Air Horn
Avon Grips
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-24-2014, 08:56 PM
WEG

Hi Mchilese;

I don't know where you are coming from to go to VA, but for what it's worth, I have shipped my bike from FL to MA and back with a company called Keyboard Transport and they are real pros. Bike is strapped down on a rig that is wheeled around to the lift gate, put in the back of a 40 ft box trailer made to accept the pallet rigs so no moving around or bumping of bikes. About 4-5 days later bike is there good as when it left. No hassle, friendly folks, seemed like the price was competitive. I got there name from the biggest harley dealer in the Boston area. They use them to send bikes down south for the winter rental season and back in the spring. Anyway, they treated me well and I will use them again next fall.

WEG
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode