Southern Fried Deep Freeze - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-29-2014, 01:57 PM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

Garage
Southern Fried Deep Freeze

I thought some of my northern friends would get a kick out what happens down here when snow and ice hit mid day and the weather man misses the forecast. My wife made it up this hill about 45 minutes before all this happened. She was one of the last to make it up and people started parking on the sides. The two trucks you see sideways in the road were parked on the side until someone almost made it to the top, slid back down and piled every thing up.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-29-2014, 02:17 PM
Top Contributor

I love it. I can even see several 4x4 trucks and SUVs in the pic. Wonder if they got scared or everyone else had it blocked off and had to park them out. I love driving in stuff like that, that is when you hit the empty Lowes parking lot and do doughnuts and have fun. Or at least that is what we done (and I still do from time to time). How else you supposed to learn how?

1985 Honda Nighthawk 650 (First Bike)
2004 Vulcan 1500 Classic (First Big Bike)
2007 Vulcan 1600 Meanstreak (Love Affair)
1999 Yamaha 1100 V-Star Custom (Right Price at the Time)
2008 V2K Classic (Favorite Vulcan)
2014 HD Ultra Limited (Bells and Whistles)
Who would have thought I would grow up to become "Spatially Educated" and play Connect-the-Dots for a living.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-29-2014, 02:32 PM
Lifetime Premium

Year/Make/Model: 2006 Kawasaki Vulcan
Displacement/CC's: 1500FI
Color: Ebony Black/Galaxy Silver
Garage
Block off the road with chains and charge for parking.......

06 1500 Classic FI (Anniversary Edition)
Reward the truth, punish the liars...Ted Nugent

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-29-2014, 02:35 PM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

Garage
I know that looks like snow on the road but it is solid ice. The f250 was a kids truck that had almost bald tires on it. All of this happened between 2 and 4 pm yesterday.

The parking lot training and fun are good ideas but they were all full of vehicles last night at 9pm when I came in from work. The local Home Depot's, Lowes, and many others were open as shelters because there were ( and I am guessing here but I'd bet I'm close) about 100,000 stranded vehicles around the Birmingham area including interstates and surface streets.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-29-2014, 02:39 PM
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean View Post
Block off the road with chains and charge for parking.......
That is Bristol residents mentality during race week. At $5 per car you can make some $$$ there.

Who would have thought I would grow up to become "Spatially Educated" and play Connect-the-Dots for a living.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-29-2014, 02:42 PM
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TS Tinker View Post
I know that looks like snow on the road but it is solid ice. The f250 was a kids truck that had almost bald tires on it. All of this happened between 2 and 4 pm yesterday.

The parking lot training and fun are good ideas but they were all full of vehicles last night at 9pm when I came in from work. The local Home Depot's, Lowes, and many others were open as shelters because there were ( and I am guessing here but I'd bet I'm close) about 100,000 stranded vehicles around the Birmingham area including interstates and surface streets.
I know it is a bigger deal to you all because you are not prepared for it. Here and in a lot of other places they are out spreading salt and gravel before any weather like that hits. Always money in VDOT budget for that. I keep a set of chains in my tool box and a set to pull people out of the ditch with too. And a lot of people run studded tires on their cars, but you can only do that between November and May, I believe.

post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-29-2014, 06:06 PM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWVA_08V2k View Post
I know it is a bigger deal to you all because you are not prepared for it. Here and in a lot of other places they are out spreading salt and gravel before any weather like that hits. Always money in VDOT budget for that. I keep a set of chains in my tool box and a set to pull people out of the ditch with too. And a lot of people run studded tires on their cars, but you can only do that between November and May, I believe.
I had no problem in my 4wd and usually if something like this is forecast they do salt, sand and gravel but the forecast was for a light dusting and no accumulation. By the time the seriousness of the situation was realized there were to many wrecks for the trucks to move. Just got back from retrieving my son and daughters vehicles. They also could have made it to their destinations but the stopped traffic forced them to pull off park and walk. They were both lucky, my son walked about a mile and half to his home and my daughter walked about a half mile to a friends home and spent the night
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-29-2014, 09:45 PM

Atl had 940 accidents yesterday 28 Jan 2014. No one should have been out. Good sense told me to stay indoors, but my College said we are open. They did let us out early and Thursday is closed. Today was a good day to go hunting. Fired twice at a doe, missed. Just going to stay home and hunt again since the season closes.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-30-2014, 07:16 AM

Im at the top end of perimeter. It was a interesting shift. My son who works a few miles from my station said it took 3 hours to get to my station cause of traffic. It hit so fast that the roads were turned to ice by cars packing it down before the authorities could react. Plus people around here dont know how to drive in these conditions. My son spent the night at my station. Left my bike there. The snow man was built by one of the snowmaggedon survivors that had to abandon their car on the highway near my station. I'm sad to report that the snowman gave his life on the next call we went on. He wasnt wearing a saftey harness.

Tim

You know what the farmer said when his horse died? Funny, she's never done that before!
2012 Electra-Glide, 2006 Vulcan 900,
1999 Suzuki SV650, 1975 Honda CB750
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-30-2014, 09:31 AM
Top Contributor

It is brutal wherever it hits. Southerners don't have the road equipment to salt or sand it down and most of their drivers haven't had the experience to handle it. I do feel sorry for all of them. I'm just sad that their powers-that-be blame the weather forecasters as the root cause of the problem. What's happened to our government, when something goes wrong it's always someone else's fault?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode